Power mirrors not working

JeepnJam

Luckily, Georgia.gov's Consumer Protection Website lays it out pretty clear and it's a fairly easy process for someone in my position. Had a year or two gone by, then it would be tougher to document.

Per Georgia.gov:

[SUB]
How many repair attempts must you allow the manufacturer?
The law sets forth three ways to satisfy the repair attempts requirement:
1) For most problems the manufacturer is given three attempts, or opportunities, to repair the defect or condition.
2) When the defect or condition qualifies as a “serious safety defect,” the manufacturer is given just one attempt to repair the problem. A serious safety defect is one that is life-threatening or likely to result in bodily injury if not corrected. This distinction is important, because the burden is on you to prove the dangerous nature of the defect. So if you are experiencing a problem that you believe is safety-related but not life-threatening, you should allow three repair attempts.
3) A vehicle is deemed to have met the repair attempts requirement when it has been out of service by reason of repair for at least a total of 30 days. In this event, you count the cumulative days out of service instead of individual repair attempts. The vehicle may be out of service for the repair of one or more defects. The days out of service may accrue during one repair visit or over several visits.
You calculate the days out of service for each visit starting on the day you submit your vehicle for repair of a defect or condition (if dropped off before the close of business) through the day the work is completed. Weekends and holidays count toward the 30 days if your vehicle is in for repair during that time. If the vehicle is at the authorized dealer or facility exclusively for any of the following reasons, then do not include those days in your calculations:

 routine maintenance
 problems that are not nonconformities (e.g., hail damage)
 any repairs performed after the expiration of the Lemon Law rights period

You will need to get a copy of the repair order for each repair visit to document the number of days out of service. [/SUB]

So dealership #1: 3 days - forced to leave because they wouldn't provide loaner car.
dealership #2: exactly 4 weeks or 28 days.

Total out of service for repair is 31 days on 7/28/2018.

Now I send a certified mail letter with delivery notification to FCA requesting either a refund or replacement vehicle (my choice) - from the day they receive the letter they will have 20 days to do one or the other, or provide some other type of settlement. If they fail to do that, then it goes to arbitration! Considering the functionality of power mirrors is arguably a safety issue - I think I would stand to come out pretty good should it get taken that far. I have saved every email and voice mail from the dealership, including a voicemail of the service technician yesterday saying, "We are completely stumped, we are out of options. I think we should buy this Jeep back from you."

Last edited:

MoparTH

My drivers door power lock would not work on delivery, the dealer said the actuator in the door panel was broken and it was on back order. About a week later all the door locks quit working, I found the problem before the dealer looked at it again, it was a loose connector on the body control module, it's in the passenger side foot panel, if you pull the cover off of the door connection, you can get to the connectors from there but it's very tight to get to, might be the problem with yours also.

JeepnJam

My drivers door power lock would not work on delivery, the dealer said the actuator in the door panel was broken and it was on back order. About a week later all the door locks quit working, I found the problem before the dealer looked at it again, it was a loose connector on the body control module, it's in the passenger side foot panel, if you pull the cover off of the door connection, you can get to the connectors from there but it's very tight to get to, might be the problem with yours also.

Thank you, I will pass this along to the service technician in the morning when I call him!

I wonder if this could explain why all their wire testing is showing no bad connections and the computer isn't throwing any error codes? However, I would think if they replaced the BCM they checked all the connections, but you never know.

Was your issue that the lock wouldn't operate? My driver side door will lock and unlock - just not if I use the switch on the drivers side door. If I use the key FOB or passenger side switch both doors (2 dr model) lock properly. It's just that switch and the power mirror switch on the driver side door that don't work. Well also, if I open the door driving down the road, the Jeep doesn't recognize the door is open. Same goes for shutting the Jeep off - the radio still plays when I open driver side door, won't stop until 30 sec or I open passenger side door. It's not the connection at the door jam either - both windows go up and down and the door locks with operate via key fob or passenger door switch.

I sort of wish they would take a door off another jeep in the parking lot and put it on my driver side, connect it up, and see if that door will control the power mirrors or lock/unlock doors. For whatever reason, the dealerships have refused to entertain this idea...

Last edited:

JeepnJam

X2. If you are going to pursue the lemon law just let them keep it as long as they want.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Normally I would agree, however you need to have the repair bill as part of your documentation to continue the pursuit under Georgia's lemon law, and I can't get that until they stop working on it. At this point based on conversations with them I think leaving it with them is slowing down the process. I'm worried they are too focused on the challenge that my Jeep is giving them; and not enough on the customer service side of it. No one should have to deal with buying a brand new vehicle and it sit in the shop for the following 31 days...makes me start to wonder what else could be lurking or waiting to go wrong.

MoparTH

Thank you, I will pass this along to the service technician in the morning when I call him!

I wonder if this could explain why all their wire testing is showing no bad connections and the computer isn't throwing any error codes? However, I would think if they replaced the BCM they checked all the connections, but you never know.

Was your issue that the lock wouldn't operate? My driver side door will lock and unlock - just not if I use the switch on the drivers side door. If I use the key FOB or passenger side switch both doors (2 dr model) lock properly. It's just that switch and the power mirror switch on the driver side door that don't work. Well also, if I open the door driving down the road, the Jeep doesn't recognize the door is open. Same goes for shutting the Jeep off - the radio still plays when I open driver side door, won't stop until 30 sec or I open passenger side door. It's not the connection at the door jam either - both windows go up and down and the door locks with operate via key fob or passenger door switch.

I sort of wish they would take a door off another jeep in the parking lot and put it on my driver side, connect it up, and see if that door will control the power mirrors or lock/unlock doors. For whatever reason, the dealerships have refused to entertain this idea...

My problem was right much different from yours, but it still seems like something for them to check, all that wiring must go back to the BCM. The only way mine would lock was with the mechanical key, would not lock with fob, door switches or at speed, then about a week later they all quit working, that must of been when the connector became completely unseated.

NFRs2000NYC

Normally I would agree, however you need to have the repair bill as part of your documentation to continue the pursuit under Georgia's lemon law, and I can't get that until they stop working on it. At this point based on conversations with them I think leaving it with them is slowing down the process. I'm worried they are too focused on the challenge that my Jeep is giving them; and not enough on the customer service side of it. No one should have to deal with buying a brand new vehicle and it sit in the shop for the following 31 days...makes me start to wonder what else could be lurking or waiting to go wrong.

I am not a lawyer, but in this case, I'd spend the $200 for a consultation with one on how to proceed.

JeepnJam

I am not a lawyer, but in this case, I'd spend the $200 for a consultation with one on how to proceed.

You guys made me think long and hard about this, so I called the Georgia Consumer Protection Unit. They informed me that I can still leave my Jeep at the dealership for repairs and send my certified letter to FCA requesting replacement.

So I am going to leave it there and let them continue working on it and send my certified letter out this afternoon.

JeepnJam

Good news and bad news!!! The dealership is pretty sure they found the problem. Apparently there is a plastic rivet that is loose/broken on the Body Control Module that is causing my malfunction.

The bad news is that the only way to replace that small rivet is to order an entire new wiring harness - which is on back order :(.

It could be up to another month before they can get this part in....but they are hopeful that it doesn’t take that long.

MoparTH

Glad they found it but hate that about the harness. Still worries me about mine, because the connector I found loose from my body control module looks like it's supposed to have one of those plastic latching handles, but when i showed it to the dealer, they said that connector doesn't, kind of odd, because all the rest of them do.

JeepnJam

Case Closed

Well after 38 days in the shop, FCA has agreed to replace my Jeep under the lemon law. Probably because the wiring harness is on back order until Oct 4. :-O

I completed my order for my replacement today and it should be in about 6-8 weeks from now! The manufacturer and dealership have both been excellent to work with through this process so far.

JTCO

Meme King
I know this is an old thread but just something to throw into the mix for anyone reading it.... I have had the doors off my Gladiator 6 or 7 times now with no issue. Well today, I put them back on and my power mirrors didn't work. Along with that, I got a message on dash saying 'auto park disabled' and the radio wouldn't shut off after I turned off the Jeep, opened/closed door, and even hit lock on key fob. I re-checked all of my door connections and they were tight. After more investigating, I found that on the LF door connector, I had bent about 5 pins when I reconnected the door harness. Seems impossible that I did that but they were clearly bent. I used a plastic trim tool to straighten them and all is good now. So make sure when plugging doors back in to keep the connections as straight as possible while pulling down that white electrical lever that secures the connector.

I know this is an old thread but just something to throw into the mix for anyone reading it.... I have had the doors off my Gladiator 6 or 7 times now with no issue. Well today, I put them back on and my power mirrors didn't work. Along with that, I got a message on dash saying 'auto park disabled' and the radio wouldn't shut off after I turned off the Jeep, opened/closed door, and even hit lock on key fob. I re-checked all of my door connections and they were tight. After more investigating, I found that on the LF door connector, I had bent about 5 pins when I reconnected the door harness. Seems impossible that I did that but they were clearly bent. I used a plastic trim tool to straighten them and all is good now. So make sure when plugging doors back in to keep the connections as straight as possible while pulling down that white electrical lever that secures the connector.

As soon as I saw this thread I knew the problem. I read through all four pages and no mention of the doors and driver side plug; until you JTCO This happened to me. Those fucking pins are so fine, they bend very easily. First time I took off the doors, then put them back on...my mirrors didn't work, Auto stop was flashing, door windows didn't work. I checked connector and saw bent pins. I took to dealer and didn't tell them about the doors initially. They found it and wanted me to pay to fix it. I made a huge stink, and told them that Jeeps are designed to have doors removed and put back on. The plug connector is flawed and I am not fucking paying for it. They straightened pins and gave me back no charge. I know full well they wont do it again. Next time I took off doors I was even more carefull than first time and this time mirrors dont work. This is my first Jeep, and since I have bought it, I have realized more than ever how much I hate FCA and all their vehicles. Never was a Mopar fan.