What's everyone planning for sliders?

offcamber

I have a buddy who is a welder. I'm going to have him make me a set of PSC Ricochet Rockers like he did for my JK. He copies their design perfectly and you can't tell the difference. I just have to buy the steel.

JTCO

Meme King
I have a buddy who is a welder. I'm going to have him make me a set of PSC Ricochet Rockers like he did for my JK. He copies their design perfectly and you can't tell the difference. I just have to buy the steel.

Ripping off someone's design is pretty lame in my opinion..

I agree. Why not just buy the sliders you want from the company that did all the R&D themselves :idontknow:

offcamber

I agree. Why not just buy the sliders you want from the company that did all the R&D themselves :idontknow:

Because i don't like the way theirs mount. The actual bars look the same but his mounting is much stronger the way it ties into the frame. And it costs me like $90 in steel.

offcamber

That’s kinda lame.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

The actual bars look the same but his mounting is much stronger the way it ties into the frame and is completely different. The R&D part is not the actual sliders because let's face it they are all pretty much the same with regards to the part you see, it's a curved bar welded to straight bar. PSC's mounts though, especially if you bolt them on are weak.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
The actual bars look the same but his mounting is much stronger the way it ties into the frame and is completely different. The R&D part is not the actual sliders because let's face it they are all pretty much the same with regards to the part you see, it's a curved bar welded to straight bar. PSC's mounts though, especially if you bolt them on are weak.

No not the same. If your buddy is some great welder and engineer that design stuff stronger than an engineer who does it everyday than he should design his own.

For your own good, just stop talking about it. You won’t win and you are just going to look like more of a douche.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Fabbing your own parts is way cool but you aren't gonna find a whole lot of support here for ripping off other peoples stuff.

Back In Black

I bought the MOPAR sliders.
I spent some time checking them out yesterday morning, and I was easily convinced - they are heavy gauge, robust, and have a thick rough surface for grip with your shoes.

Attachments

• 20180302_101011.jpg
    20180302_101011.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 20180302_101023.jpg
    20180302_101023.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 153

JTCO

Meme King
I bought the MOPAR sliders.
I spent some time checking them out yesterday morning, and I was easily convinced - they are heavy gauge, robust, and have a thick rough surface for grip with your shoes.

Those look good. Simple. So far, would you say the step is wide enough to be useful?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have to say, they do look real nice but I would be concerned as to how well they'd hold up to a hard hit being that they are body mounted. Hopefully well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh man come on, give me a little credit.
This isn't my first time at the Wrangler Rodeo! Haaaaa
These are not body only mounted. They mount to the frame (3 or 4 bolts per side), and then the body (5 bolts per side).
Hope this clarifies.

Actually, that's not the frame but rather, the underside of the body. Looks like they mount up just like the factory Rubicon sliders do - at the pinch seams and the tub. It's a strong point for sure but the extended width of them can act as a lever and force the slider upward on a hard enough hit and cause damage to the body that way. For most people, it shouldn't be an issue but I have seen it be a problem with similar designs on the JK. Granted, this isn't a JK and hopefully it'll be super strong. :yup:

Back In Black

To each their own. I don’t like body mounted sliders.

Oh I guess I misunderstood you. You would rather they not mount at all to the body, just the frame?
Hmmm - each one of the past 2 aftermarket sliders I used mounted that same way (body only).
For my purposes and the extent that I wheel this style has always met my needs - if I remember correctly there are very few that actually mount to the frame, where as others needed to be welded to the frame.

Another item that will be tested to its fullest extent in Moab!!!

Last edited: