Thoughts on the 2” mopar lift ?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
So what is happening is that my Rubicon that I had is being bought back by Chrysler, and they wanted me to pick out a new jeep from the dealership's inventory to swap out with. I did. However, the buyback company says they do the swap comparing MSRP to MSRP... and the Rubicon I picked out (with different options) is lower MSRP than what I was turning in. This was causing a hiccup in the process, and the buyback company told me to have the dealership modify my chosen Jeep (or I could order a Jeep and wait 6-8 weeks to get it) to be closer in MSRP to the original. The dealership's advice was to install the lift, change my tires, reinforce the tailgate, and relocate the license plate/3rd brake light to the spare and that would bump the MSRP up to nearly match the original.

I got the Facebook rant because this other guy is insinuating that the Mopar 2" lift that he had installed (unclear if it was DIY installed or not) onto his non-rubicon caused his jeep to fail (dead steering) and he also went through a "nightmare of a buy back" for it. So he is (not quite but kind of directly hinting at me) saying the Mopar lift will cause the same problems for me and I might have to go through this again.
I don't really think the mopar lift kit would cause problems like that. Are they giving you a good discount on this lift?

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Mud Bug

I don't really think the mopar lift kit would cause problems like that. Are they giving you a good discount on this lift?

I actually have not seen the paper they are printing. I did this over the phone with my sales person because under the "rules" of the buyback I am not supposed to go down to the dealership until I have been assigned a contact there lol. They are doing the Mopar 2" lift, the tailgate reinforcement, the 3rd brake light/license relocation, the 37" Nitto tires (mounted on my stock wheels and letting me keep the stock tires), and giving me the steel bumpers all for just around $4500. I think it is a deal, but I have been wrong once or twice in my life :crazyeyes:

Mud Bug

And I am not paying for this out of pocket, this is so the dealership can add these items to the MSRP of the Jeep by that additional $4500 and bring it up to match the MSRP of the Jeep I am turning in.

Mud Bug

And I am not paying for this out of pocket.

But I know I am paying for it because it is part of the financed loan... But it feels like nothing since I will still have the same Jeep payment going forward, but now I don't have to do any other mods (except maybe fix this lift kit). If that makes sense.

olram30

But I know I am paying for it because it is part of the financed loan... But it feels like nothing since I will still have the same Jeep payment going forward, but now I don't have to do any other mods (except maybe fix this lift kit). If that makes sense.
What kind of rims are you going to run? I have the tailgate thing also. But with 3.5" backspace there was some issues

Mud Bug

What kind of rims are you going to run? I have the tailgate thing also. But with 3.5" backspace there was some issues

For right now I am keeping the stock wheels. I did not want to spend money on others when my lack of experience may tear them up. I do not know the backspacing. What issues are you having? I definitely do not want things to fall off, break, or bend.

olram30

For right now I am keeping the stock wheels. I did not want to spend money on others when my lack of experience may tear them up. I do not know the backspacing. What issues are you having? I definitely do not want things to fall off, break, or bend.
Oh good. You'll be fine with factory rims. Aftermarket rims stick out way too much. It was pretty much designed for factory rims. Did they get the raised bracket part?

Mud Bug

Oh good. You'll be fine with factory rims. Aftermarket rims stick out way too much. It was pretty much designed for factory rims. Did they get the raised bracket part?

I have no idea about the bracket. Like I said, I did it over the phone... the sales lady asked me what things might I want... so I ticked off some things, they suggested a lift to bump the price more. No details were discussed except her asking me to confirm what size I wanted and me asking her what brand tires were they putting on. Also, here in Delaware, it is "illegal" to have tires that stick out more than 1/2" (maybe it is 1") past the fenders, so I hope they keep that in mind (the dealership being across state lines)

olram30

I have no idea about the bracket. Like I said, I did it over the phone... the sales lady asked me what things might I want... so I ticked off some things, they suggested a lift to bump the price more. No details were discussed except her asking me to confirm what size I wanted and me asking her what brand tires were they putting on. Also, here in Delaware, it is "illegal" to have tires that stick out more than 1/2" (maybe it is 1") past the fenders, so I hope they keep that in mind (the dealership being across state lines)
You may need this to raise the tire up so it doesn't hit the rear bumper. Screenshot_20190330-131650_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg

Mud Bug

Thanks for you help, Olram30! So I spoke to a guy in my Jeep club who runs an off-road shop. He told me he has seen quite a few Mopar lifts and the kit isn't terrible... he said to let the dealership install it, then to swing by his shop and he will look at it and make any adjustments or parts additions, like the track bar.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Thanks for you help, Olram30! So I spoke to a guy in my Jeep club who runs an off-road shop. He told me he has seen quite a few Mopar lifts and the kit isn't terrible... he said to let the dealership install it, then to swing by his shop and he will look at it and make any adjustments or parts additions, like the track bar.

So he doesn’t trust the dealer but recommends you have them install the lift? That is a guy I would probably not trust.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

oyasin

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

JTCO

Meme King
Actually, i think if you have the dealer install the lift that basically guarantees you will not lose any warranty which includes lift kit. At least that’s what my dealership told me!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

The manufacturer can always choose to deny warranty based on modifications. If the dealer installs the lift and says it won't affect warranty, get that in writing. Then the dealer can pay all the claims that the manufacturer declines.

oyasin

The manufacturer can always choose to deny warranty based on modifications. If the dealer installs the lift and says it won't affect warranty, get that in writing. Then the dealer can pay all the claims that the manufacturer declines.

That did seem weird to me thats why I asked them in 6 different ways what they meant!!! I do have it in writing that “I have a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain” as long as its not wear and tear AND that I get stuff added and serviced at a “certified” jeep mechanic. Now that I’m typing this out, i’m pretty sure this is not a “jeep” thing but a dealership specific deal I got... so probably does not apply to everyone.
1- hope i never need to cash in on that
2- I think all what that meant to me, is that if the price is equivalent or a little extra I might as well do it at the dealership and get to drive a loaner meanwhile. Then I can have a trusted person check over their work.

Anyway, I do remember seeing in one of the videos when the JL first came out in LA, that Mopar accessories should technically be under warranty and even can be rolled in the loan when you buy the car. So to give that person the benefit of the doubt, maybe that’s why they suggested getting a Mopar lift installed at the dealership?!

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
That did seem weird to me thats why I asked them in 6 different ways what they meant!!! I do have it in writing that “I have a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain” as long as its not wear and tear AND that I get stuff added and serviced at a “certified” jeep mechanic. Now that I’m typing this out, i’m pretty sure this is not a “jeep” thing but a dealership specific deal I got... so probably does not apply to everyone.
1- hope i never need to cash in on that
2- I think all what that meant to me, is that if the price is equivalent or a little extra I might as well do it at the dealership and get to drive a loaner meanwhile. Then I can have a trusted person check over their work.

Anyway, I do remember seeing in one of the videos when the JL first came out in LA, that Mopar accessories should technically be under warranty and even can be rolled in the loan when you buy the car. So to give that person the benefit of the doubt, maybe that’s why they suggested getting a Mopar lift installed at the dealership?!

Saying you have a lifetime warranty of drivetrain is not saying that your warranty will cover modifications. It’s simple saying you bought a premium package that the dealer offered and will do whatever they can to not pay out on it. Same as insurance. They don’t just give you the world when something happens.

Friend of mine had a molar cold air intake on his JK and it allowed dirt into the motor and ultimately blew the motor up. The dealer and Jeep voided his warranty. He paid out of pocket for a new motor.

oyasin

Saying you have a lifetime warranty of drivetrain is not saying that your warranty will cover modifications. It’s simple saying you bought a premium package that the dealer offered and will do whatever they can to not pay out on it. Same as insurance. They don’t just give you the world when something happens.

Friend of mine had a molar cold air intake on his JK and it allowed dirt into the motor and ultimately blew the motor up. The dealer and Jeep voided his warranty. He paid out of pocket for a new motor.

Sad to hear about ur friend! Dealerships r notorious for being hustlers, but I do think decency still exists in the world though and people do live up to their word! I mean i sold my old car a week before my JL came in. When I called the dealer for an eta and they found out I have no car they gave me a loaner jeep Cherokee until my JL came in when they didn’t have to. Insurance paid out in full when i hit my JL against a tree and the body shop even told me not worry about the deductible! And the dealership reprogrammed my keyless entry for free and gave me a loaner car to fix something else that has nth to do with warranty!!! Maybe its just the minnesota nice!