Rear differential fluid

SandPanda

So I just got my 1st oil change. It has 3,7xx miles on it and I bought it with 190 last month. The oil change tech showed me the diff fluid and the rear seems really dark for being this new. The engine oil wasnt this dark.
So is this normal? I plan on notifying the dealership.
Any advise?20180822_100739.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
Looks fine to me. You should note it to the dealer regardless so that they can document it in case there is an issue up the road, but with the friction and heat in a rear differential, that fluid doesn't stay amber colored for long. I had a noise I was chasing and had some fluid I changed in my diff that was only 200 miles old and it looked pretty close to that.

JTCO

Meme King
To add to this, the front will always be way cleaner looking because it isn't 'driven' like the rear. The front gear teeth just spin because you're tires are spinning but it's not being 'driven.' If you have the new axle with the FAD, the front gears don't even spin at all unless you're in 4WD.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To add to this, the front will always be way cleaner looking because it isn't 'driven' like the rear. The front gear teeth just spin because you're tires are spinning but it's not being 'driven.' If you have the new axle with the FAD, the front gears don't even spin at all unless you're in 4WD.

Yup, spot on info :thumb: