MOPAR 2" Lift Review (on-road) -- IMPRESSIVE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Straight. I heard from someone a couple days ago that said they played with the track bar and it didn't do anything.

Unless whoever you heard from has an adjustable track bar for a JL, they are a moron who doesn't know anything about Jeeps and you shouldn't listen to them.

I'd still like to see for myself, though. The axles are perfectly aligned on both sides, so the lift didn't change anything there. I'd hate to adjust the track bar and fix the spring, then discover my tire sticks out 1/4" or so more on one side than the other.

Unless you installed an adjustable front track bar or a track bar relocation bracket with a drag link flip, it would be impossible to not see any change. Your track bar is like the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle. If you increase the height of the triangle but keep the hypotenuse and the base the same length, the base of it MUST SHIFT. Of course, you will now have more of an acute scalene triangle and that will cause a spring to bow.

I've also seen another with the 2" lift whose driver side is straigt, but the passenger side has a very slight bow. Most appear to be on the driver's side.

If what you've seen is really true, the Jeep in question must have an adjustable track bar installed with too much correction set.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing illustration Eddie, and THANK YOU. So, based on what you're saying, if I do the Mopar 2" lift, I could at some point install an adjustable track bar or track bar relocation bracket with a drag link flip to alleviate or potentially eliminate the spring bow? There again, based on your comments, if the coil isn't catching the bump stop, it doesn't even sound necessary.

Let me be the first to say that what I've been saying is based on my experience and is just a best guess based on what I'm seeing in the photo. Assuming I am correct, yes, installing an adjustable track bar or relocation bracket with a drag link flip in the future would help mitigate the bow that you're seeing. Also, unless the coil is catching the bump stop cup, I don't know if I'd give it a second thought.

There again, most of the technical talk you are referring to is a foreign language to me and it's frustrating as I want to ensure I make the right moves regarding lifting my new addition to the family :crazyeyes:

I apologize for that. I will try harder to explain things in terms that are easier to understand.

PaulNY

Let me be the first to say that what I've been saying is based on my experience and is just a best guess based on what I'm seeing in the photo. Assuming I am correct, yes, installing an adjustable track bar or relocation bracket with a drag link flip in the future would help mitigate the bow that you're seeing. Also, unless the coil is catching the bump stop cup, I don't know if I'd give it a second thought.

I apologize for that. I will try harder to explain things in terms that are easier to understand.

Thank you, and no need to apologize at all Eddie. I am simply uneducated when it comes to Jeeps in general, much less lift kits and parts associated with it. This is way above my pay grade which is why I really appreciate your insight as I realize it's coming from someone who has the experience to talk intelligently about the issues at hand. Honestly, after reading your threads, I feel much better about moving forward with the Mopar lift. Granted, I am sure with some patience, there will be other full suspension offerings in the near future, but who knows if their kits will also make the springs bow to some degree. Currently, Readylift and ironcross have pictures of their respective JL's with their lift kits installed and the springs bow in both rigs as well. So, unless I go with a spacer kit and utilize the stock springs/shocks, the slight bow may be inevitable. Originally, my main concern was safety as the energy in bowed springs is directed specifically toward the bowed portion of the spring. However, it's obvious to me know that the springs themselves are soft which understandably creates the bow. Regardless, most if not all JL owners that have had the Mopar lift installed, rave about how great the JL drives and how the rigs almost feels stock is a testament to the soft spring rate which I am confident Mopar intended.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you, and no need to apologize at all Eddie. I am simply uneducated when it comes to Jeeps in general, much less lift kits and parts associated with it. This is way above my pay grade which is why I really appreciate your insight as I realize it's coming from someone who has the experience to talk intelligently about the issues at hand. Honestly, after reading your threads, I feel much better about moving forward with the Mopar lift. Granted, I am sure with some patience, there will be other full suspension offerings in the near future, but who knows if their kits will also make the springs bow to some degree. Currently, Readylift and ironcross have pictures of their respective JL's with their lift kits installed and the springs bow in both rigs as well. So, unless I go with a spacer kit and utilize the stock springs/shocks, the slight bow may be inevitable. Originally, my main concern was safety as the energy in bowed springs is directed specifically toward the bowed portion of the spring. However, it's obvious to me know that the springs themselves are soft which understandably creates the bow. Regardless, most if not all JL owners that have had the Mopar lift installed, rave about how great the JL drives and how the rigs almost feels stock is a testament to the soft spring rate which I am confident Mopar intended.

Okay, hearing that Readylift and Ironcross are both showing the same bow only re-enforces my assessment of things. AND, I should note that even with the EVO kit, you would most likely see some bowing due to the fact that it doesn't come with an adjustable front track bar or relocation bracket with a drag link flip.

PaulNY

Okay, hearing that Readylift and Ironcross are both showing the same bow only re-enforces my assessment of things. AND, I should note that even with the EVO kit, you would most likely see some bowing due to the fact that it doesn't come with an adjustable front track bar or relocation bracket with a drag link flip.

Based on your assessment, I now believe this is simply an inherent characteristic of the JL and regardless of which lift you go with, a subtle bow is normal. To alleviate the bow, as you have mentioned, would require a replacement track bar part. However, this doesn't sound like a requirement much less needed. It makes perfect sense now (thank you for explaining) that when you install taller, softer springs, a slight bow is inevitable. And, that bow allows a softer ride for compliance on road, and off. So, I guess I should be thankful the Mopar lift has a bow because if it didn't, the ride would be compromised.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Based on your assessment, I now believe this is simply an inherent characteristic of the JL and regardless of which lift you go with, a subtle bow is normal.

The slight bow would be an inherent characteristic of ANY vehicle running any lift on 4-link suspension system without an adjustable track bar or track bar relocation bracket with drag link flip to help re-center the axle at ride height.

To alleviate the bow, as you have mentioned, would require a replacement track bar part.

To be specific, you would need an ADJUSTABLE track bar that allows you to lengthen it enough to help re-center your front axle at ride height. A track bar relocation bracket would do this as well as it would correct the angle your track bar sits at. However, to do this, you would NEED to either install a dropped pitman arm or flip the drag link as well as it is critical to keep both the track bar and drag link parallel to each other. To the best of my knowledge, there are no such kits available for this as of yet and really, it isn't something I'd recommend with just a 2" lift.

However, this doesn't sound like a requirement much less needed.

You need to remember that a track bar is mounted on the driver side frame rail and the passenger side axle. ANY TIME you load up your Jeep with weight or lighten it up, the position of your axle will shift to the passenger side or to driver side respectively. It's just the nature of the beast and really, no big deal. With a small 2" lift, re-centering your axle at ride height is NOT required or needed.

It makes perfect sense now (thank you for explaining) that when you install taller, softer springs, a slight bow is inevitable. And, that bow allows a softer ride for compliance on road, and off. So, I guess I should be thankful the Mopar lift has a bow because if it didn't, the ride would be compromised.

Again, ride quality is 100% subjective. For me personally, I LOVE the factory ride of my JL and I'm sure Mopar worked hard to retain that feel with their 2" lift. That being said, I'm sure there are people who don't like the feel and would prefer a stiffer ride. For them, I'm sure companies like TeraFlex will have a good solution for them.

Unless whoever you heard from has an adjustable track bar for a JL, they are a moron who doesn't know anything about Jeeps and you shouldn't listen to them.

Unless you installed an adjustable front track bar or a track bar relocation bracket with a drag link flip, it would be impossible to not see any change. Your track bar is like the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle. If you increase the height of the triangle but keep the hypotenuse and the base the same length, the base of it MUST SHIFT. Of course, you will now have more of an acute scalene triangle now and that will cause a spring to bow.

If what you've seen is really true, the Jeep in question must have an adjustable track bar installed with too much correction set.

I really don't know if that guy had an adjustable track bar. I'm not sure how he could, as I've not seen anything on the market for the JL yet. I was just sharing what he said. All I know is that when I look down both sides of the Jeep, the tires appear to stick out exactly the same, so I really don't want to screw with an adjustable track bar. My understanding is that it isn't worth it on 2" or less of lift. I didn't mess with it on my JK, either, which has a 2" spacer lift.

Thank you for your feedback on it. I honestly have no worries about it now. It rides and handles beautifully, and it doesn't bother the bump stop. The only effect is the way it looks. The lift measures exactly the same on both sides, from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender flare. I'm leaving this thing alone and I'm going to drive the hell out of it. I just needed someone (you) with experience and knowledge to give an opinion on it. As far as the spring itself, I really disagree with the assessment saying they look small or thin. I think they look as beefy as the stock JL Rubicon springs. Everything underneath the JL looks like it was designed with strength in mind. If it didn't, I wouldn't have gone to larger tires and the lift. All the components look stronger than the JK Rubi.

Btw, I went with that spacer lift on the JK for the same reason you are going with the EVO, and it worked just as predicted. It kept the factory ride/handling. My 2" Mopar lift on the JL feels great. I was truly worried that it would mess with the ride and handling, but it is at least as good, and judging by potholes, maybe a little better. The only degredation of handling is in the feel when pulling lateral G's. I think that has more to do with the larger tires than the suspension, and it isn't a huge difference.

Thanks again!

13_gecko_rubi

Unless you installed an adjustable front track bar or a track bar relocation bracket with a drag link flip, it would be impossible to not see any change. Your track bar is like the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle. If you increase the height of the triangle but keep the hypotenuse and the base the same length, the base of it MUST SHIFT. Of course, you will now have more of an acute scalene triangle and that will cause a spring to bow.

Please don't bring geometry into this. Hypotewhat? Scalene, don't they make mustang parts? I saw pics on Instagram and read on the web that don't matter. Lol

Sorry couldn't resist today, in one of those moods.

Sent via....

offcamber

Okay, looking at the pic, I'm gonna have to go with what WJCO is eluding to.

The JL utilizes a 4-link suspension and the track bar holds the axle centered under it. See diagram below to help understand what I am talking about:

20180212134411-91176809-me.jpg

Being that the track bar is mounted on the frame on the driver side and the axle on the passenger side, lifting your Jeep WILL cause your axle to shift to the driver side if by only a bit. This is NORMAL and nothing to be concerned with - the position of your axle will ALWAYS shift depending on how much gas you have, how many people you're carrying and how much crap you have in the back of it. It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to 4-link suspension with a track bar. With that said, the Mopar kit does NOT come with an adjustable track bar or track bar relocation bracket with a drag link flip and so again, your axle will shift to the driver side. This shift could easily cause what I'm seeing in your photo and so long as the coil isn't catching on the bump stop cup and making all kinds of noise, I wouldn't give it a second thought. But then, that's just me.

I wasn't saying that ANY bowing is bad. I'm saying that in some of these cases, it's much worse than what would be normal. In the one my friend worked on, the spring was contacting the bumpstop. My buddy thought that possibly the bow was due the kit not having an adjustable trackbar. he disconnected the trackbar, centered everything and sat the jeep on it's wheels. If it was the trackbar putting pressure and causing the bow, it should have straightened up and he could resolve it with an adjustable trackbar. With no trackbar, the spring still bowed out. Again, it was his opinion that the spring perches not properly supporting the outboard area of the spring caused the bow. He talked to a contact that works for another suspension company and they also feel the spring perches are insufficient and they plan to address this with their kits and will also offer perches that will correct the situation.

I agree that the above photo the spring bowing wouldnt cause me much worry. I wouldn't like it from an aesthetic point of view, but I don't think it's an actual issue to be concerned about. Since I know of one other person in my club that had one that is badly bowing, I decided to back out of my purchase. I didn't like the fact that Mopars solution was to start grinding parts and while I'm sure they would offer to replace any parts that were defective, with the kit on backorder, it could be a long wait.

offcamber

Or they simply took the trackbar out of the equation by disconnecting it to see if it was causing the bow...which is what my friend did, and the bow remained.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Please don't bring geometry into this. Hypotewhat? Scalene, don't they make mustang parts? I saw pics on Instagram and read on the web that don't matter. Lol

Sorry couldn't resist today, in one of those moods.

Sent via....

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Any guess on how soon?

If I could guess, within a few months... maybe less. I know they'll be wanting to do some real world testing of a few different spring rates before offering one for sale. This is something most companies DON'T do and it's why the Plush Ride coils EVO offers on their JK kits are among some of the softest you can buy. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't saying that ANY bowing is bad. I'm saying that in some of these cases, it's much worse than what would be normal. In the one my friend worked on, the spring was contacting the bumpstop. My buddy thought that possibly the bow was due the kit not having an adjustable trackbar. he disconnected the trackbar, centered everything and sat the jeep on it's wheels. If it was the trackbar putting pressure and causing the bow, it should have straightened up and he could resolve it with an adjustable trackbar. With no trackbar, the spring still bowed out. Again, it was his opinion that the spring perches not properly supporting the outboard area of the spring caused the bow. He talked to a contact that works for another suspension company and they also feel the spring perches are insufficient and they plan to address this with their kits and will also offer perches that will correct the situation.

I agree that the above photo the spring bowing wouldnt cause me much worry. I wouldn't like it from an aesthetic point of view, but I don't think it's an actual issue to be concerned about. Since I know of one other person in my club that had one that is badly bowing, I decided to back out of my purchase. I didn't like the fact that Mopars solution was to start grinding parts and while I'm sure they would offer to replace any parts that were defective, with the kit on backorder, it could be a long wait.

Or they simply took the trackbar out of the equation by disconnecting it to see if it was causing the bow...which is what my friend did, and the bow remained.

Bear with me for just a second. Assuming the full weigh of your Jeep is on the ground and you remove your track bar, you do know that you can push the side of your Jeep to one side or the other with very little effort and it will change the position of where the body sits in relationship to your axle and it'll even stay there, right? In fact, it's one of the easiest ways to get a track bar mounting hole aligned for installation. Also, how was his steering wheel positioned? Turning the steering wheel one way or the other will cause the drag link to push the body to one side or the other too. In other words, just because your pal pulled the track bar and saw the same things doesn't mean a whole lot of anything to me. Tell you what though, I'll be installing a lift very soon and while I'm at it, I demonstrate what I'm talking about on video.

With that said, I'd agree that the bow is unsightly and I'd agree that grinding down the lower spring perch retainer wouldn't be something I'd do especially being that it's indexed for the base of the coil.

ocrejects

Mopar 2" lift

@wayoflife I sincerely apologize Eddie, and please know that as a Jeep newbie, I am naive to forum etiquette and expectations. Not only do I REALLY appreciate the great forum that you and your family provide, but love the insight from watching your very educational Youtube videos. Please know that I will never mention a competing forum again, and your request is duly noted.

I am glad to hear that a little spring bow is not really a big deal. Honestly, I am currently scheduled to get the Mopar 2" lift installed Monday. However, I have been hesitant due to the aforementioned issues I have read about. You seem VERY knowledgable about Jeeps, so may I ask why you are not installing the Mopar lift? Now that I know a slight bow is normal, it positively reinforces my initial decision to go with the Mopar. But, as a good friend of mine said, this is your first Jeep and your SICK lol. Meaning, I have the mod sickness and I am wanting to get the lift, wheels/tires, winch, etc. all instead quickly instead of just being patient and seeing what all of the aftermarket vendors come out with. I understand his logic, but it's hard as I want to do what you and many others are doing, which is immediately start modding our rigs. Would you simply recommend that I wait for other vendors suspension options, rather than pull the trigger on the Mopar 2"? I trust your opinion and advice, more than you know :D

Thanks so much for this great forum and all that you do to help Jeep owners like myself stay informed and educated. Oh, I have since deleted the competing forum from my original thread.:thumb:

Hi, just curious on where everybody is getting these 2 inch Mopar lift kit from because Mopar has had them on back order for sometime and I know for a fact that nobody out here in the west has access to that kit. So how were these individuals and yourself getting access to this 2 inch Mopar lift for the JL, i'm jealous! Lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, just curious on where everybody is getting these 2 inch Mopar lift kit from because Mopar has had them on back order for sometime and I know for a fact that nobody out here in the west has access to that kit. So how were these individuals and yourself getting access to this 2 inch Mopar lift for the JL, i'm jealous! Lol

From what I've been seeing, a lot of people have been ordering these kits from the dealers and at the time when they ordered their JL.

offcamber

Bear with me for just a second. Assuming the full weigh of your Jeep is on the ground and you remove your track bar, you do know that you can push the side of your Jeep to one side or the other with very little effort and it will change the position of where the body sits in relationship to your axle and it'll even stay there, right? In fact, it's one of the easiest ways to get a track bar mounting hole aligned for installation. Also, how was his steering wheel positioned? Turning the steering wheel one way or the other will cause the drag link to push the body to one side or the other too. In other words, just because your pal pulled the track bar and saw the same things doesn't mean a whole lot of anything to me. Tell you what though, I'll be installing a lift very soon and while I'm at it, I demonstrate what I'm talking about on video.

With that said, I'd agree that the bow is unsightly and I'd agree that grinding down the lower spring perch retainer wouldn't be something I'd do especially being that it's indexed for the base of the coil.

I know that (regarding pushing the Jeep side to side with the TB disconnected). That was the point of disconnecting it...to see if pushing the Jeep (as though the tracbar was adjustable) would change the bow in the spring. His thinking was initially that it was the trackbar so by taking the force the trackbar would be exerting away, the spring bow would diminish. It didn't change...at all.

offcamber

From what I've been seeing, a lot of people have been ordering these kits from the dealers and at the time when they ordered their JL.

My dealer had about 4 of the lifts on hand at the time my Jeep was hitting KZ status. I asked my dealer sales guy to hold one for me so he did. A friend that works at another dealer ordered about a dozen of them and has been installing them on incoming Jeeps for sale as well. Quadratec had them in stock not that long ago as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know that (regarding pushing the Jeep side to side with the TB disconnected). That was the point of disconnecting it...to see if pushing the Jeep (as though the tracbar was adjustable) would change the bow in the spring. His thinking was initially that it was the trackbar so by taking the force the trackbar would be exerting away, the spring bow would diminish. It didn't change...at all.

Yes, but you didn't answer the question about his steering wheel. Unlike the rear end of a Jeep, the position of the drag link WILL have an effect on position of the axle in relationship to the body. Simply removing the track bar alone will NOT necessary change what your friend was seeing. He would have needed to move things around and then take measurements to know for sure if things changed or not.

Back In Black

My dealer had 2 in stock. They also built 2 themselves and have them for sale.
Maybe the Michigan dealers were able to get their inventory sooner due to proximity.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My dealer had 2 in stock. They also built 2 themselves and have them for sale.
Maybe the Michigan dealers were able to get their inventory sooner due to proximity.

My local dealership had one before our JL arrived. My service manager bought it and installed it the JL he bought.