Lift kits and bumping up tire size

Mgchiro

I have a 2019 Rubicon jlu with stock suspension and 33" tires. I want to upgrade to 35" tires and a 2.5" lift kit. Is it better to do either the tires or lift kit first? I could wait and do them both at the same time, but I was hoping I could spread the expense apart? Any help and suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

CalSgt

My personal opinion... Tire & wheels first then the lift, lifted vehicles look stupid without the tires.

I was able to get 37's on with a 2" spacer lift and was able to wheel it in some pretty serious terrain the only rubbing I had was on the removable piece of plastic trim on the back of the rear wheel well.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Wheel it stock for now. I think you'll find that it is extremely capable out of the box. That being said, you may find that a 2.5 inch lift may be a bit much for 35s.

WiscoHR

^^^This exactly. If you do end up going with 2.5” lift and 35’s you’ll probably regret not getting the 37’s. I’d wheel it stock at first and if you want to go to 35’s you probably could do it without lift.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

RipperMagooJLUR

Just put on a 2.5” spacer lift on my 19 JLUR to make room for 37’s and it doesn’t look awful on stock wheels but I definitely need to get new wheels and tires soon. I’ve just been too lazy and indecisive to order some...I’ll post pics for reference.

Last edited:

RipperMagooJLUR

Appreciate the pics...what lift kit did you use and did it change your ride feel?

I went with the Teraflex 2.5 spacer lift with shock extensions. The goal was to not blow all my play fund on a lift and tires at the same time so I got this as a way to fit bigger tires and then do a full lift later.

Feels fine on and off road but I haven’t had it very long either but went wheeling twice and some interstate driving and no issues so far!

YoungMoneyFishing

I have a 2019 Rubicon jlu with stock suspension and 33" tires. I want to upgrade to 35" tires and a 2.5" lift kit. Is it better to do either the tires or lift kit first? I could wait and do them both at the same time, but I was hoping I could spread the expense apart? Any help and suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I am in your exact situation! Hahaha. So, last week I ordered wheels and 35” KO2s. I plan to add a left later. I too have gone back and forth over this. Finally this is what I decided. As far as tires, although it is small, you will achieve a slight lift as well. I also considered 37’s, as the price difference was minor. I just don’t want to get in to potential regearing issues, etc.

YoungMoneyFishing

If that's your Rubicon in your avatar, then regearing won't be an issue with 37s. Running those 37s at stock height however will present problems.

Thanks man. That is mine. My issue would be that I won’t be able to get the lift right away so I would have to run 37’s stock for a bit. That’s good to know about regearing. To be honest, I don’t know too much about that piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk