CARRY a 37" SPARE TIRE on a JL WRANGLER TAILGATE with LoD RISER BRACKETS

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like the tailgate held up well. That is the second stinger I have seen, but the other one had a “slightly” smaller profile.

Separate question: what was your highway gas mileage like for the trip out and back? It may be a Jeep, but gas isn’t cheap. But I am. Well after my $52k new Jeep. ;). Curious how it did with 37s

The best stinger I've seen is one that a good friend of mine had and rather than curving up, it was made out of 2 pieces of tube and welded together so that it angled up. That provided the best departure angle.

Regarding MPG, I need to note that we did have our speedo calibrated for our 37 so these numbers are accurate. Making our almost 2,000 mile round trip to Moab and back, climbing up and over multiple mountain ranges and averaging about 70-80 MPH AND spending a week of low range wheeling... we STILL managed to average a 14.5 MPG.

20180401091409-9258594a-me.jpg

Awesome pictures Eddie and thank you for the update! :thumb: I am of the same thought, that with the correct setup the tailgate will be just fine. I ended up taking my Relocation bracket off and just running it on the factory mount. It’s definitely a lot better since it’s sort of being supported with the bumper now, too.

It’s obviously not possible with something like your tires but a little smaller 37 12.50 like mine work great. I even adjusted the brake light back down to the original setting. This new gate is so much tighter and solid feeling than my JK was.

Saw the pics you posted up on your thread and your setup looks great. :thumb:

It seems to me that a frame/bumper mounted carrier either carries the tire up higher (and hence reduces rear visibility) or it’s going to be even worse for departure angle since the tire is farther aft. And I don’t quite see how it helps, either. If you come down off a ledge and bonk the tire even with a strong frame mounted carrier something’s going to have to bend. The real solution is to make sure the thing that hits first is strong enough to take the whole weight of the Jeep, like your stinger but higher up or closer in. ... Looking at a photo of RubiCat it looks like its spare sits a couple of inches higher than mine. Have you ever hit a rock with RubiCat’s carrier?

Do you think it would be a good idea to let all or most of the air out of the spare so that if it did hit a rock the it would deform and hence impart less stress to the carrier? (Assuming, of course, that you have on-board air.)

Dude, if it’s mounted to the FRAME don’t you think it’s gonna be stronger than sitting on the tailgate? The frame is taking all the weight of the tire so even if you hit it then the frame absorbs the impact. Even rubicat with the body mounted carrier is stronger than the tailgate. The carrier is tied into the rock skins which distributes the weight across the body. It’s like laying on thin ice compared to standing on it. Laying distributes your weight when standing puts it on one spot.

What Cozdude said. In the last 20+ years, I have yet to see where a frame mounted tire carrier has caused damage to ANY tailgate on ANY Jeep. As far as Moby or Rubicat goes, for sure I've hit the spare and the tire carrier itself plenty of times but then, the tire carriers are mounted to the quarter panel body armor.

As far as letting air out of the spare goes, honestly, I think you're way over thinking this issue.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The best stinger I've seen is one that a good friend of mine had and rather than curving up, it was made out of 2 pieces of tube and welded together so that it angled up. That provided the best departure angle.

Regarding MPG, I need to note that we did have our speedo calibrated for our 37 so these numbers are accurate. Making our almost 2,000 mile round trip to Moab and back, climbing up and over multiple mountain ranges and averaging about 70-80 MPH AND spending a week of low range wheeling... we STILL managed to average a 14.5 MPG.

Yup I copied him and made one identical to it. My hitch sticks out kinda far and my or fab carrier pushes the tire way out so I had this done
IMG_5755.jpg

RMC2

Even my wife just said Wow. That sure seems great to me. Thanks for the info.

The picture Cozdude posted is real similar to the stinger I saw on my friends Jeep (I met him thru Wayalife). Could even support the bottom of the tire with a slight mod.

RMC2

Yup I copied him and made one identical to it. My hitch sticks out kinda far and my or fab carrier pushes the tire way out so I had this done
View attachment 1796

Yep. Like this. I had my bumper off Saturday and didn’t notice if my factory hitch sticks out that far. Is that factory. Bumper apparently makes a big difference in rear clearance.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yep. Like this. I had my bumper off Saturday and didn’t notice if my factory hitch sticks out that far. Is that factory. Bumper apparently makes a big difference in rear clearance.

No it is not factory. I honestly forget what brand it is as it’s prob the first thing I bought for my jeep from Quadratec.