brought my white JLU Rubicon home

RMC2

I hate black seats, but love the red dash. The tan looks good, but worried it may be too light. Now grey cloth seats are my preference. Or red on a white Jeep, like the 10th Anniversary JKUR. Those are sharp when new. Don't know how they look with some wear though.

Bueller44

Lessons learned on my JKU and life on dirt roads and one thing the engineers at Jeep still didn't address are the exposed door hinges. We live on a gravel road and first drive home already had a nick. With no plastic protectors available yet I took the Plastic-Dip route on the barrels of all 4 door hinges, and the windshield hinge. I also went ahead and coated a bug/rock strip on the front of the hood.

First time I've ever Plasti-Dipped anything and think it came out pretty good. pics below. Best part is I can just peel it off and replace when/as needed.

I like it!! Great work!

dbungard

Installed MOPAR roof rack

Installed the new MOPAR removable roof rack over the weekend. Pretty straight forward install, just unbox and tighten some screws. Mount everything to rear rain gutters so front panels can still come off. They did a good job of padding and spreading out the contact surfaces so not to mark or damage the hard top.

looks good and functional for light duty applications. I'll add the new Yakima Off-Grid cargo basket once they become available.

rack.jpgrackside.jpgracktop.jpgracktower.jpg

dbungard

Installed trailer hitch

Installed a Quadratec trailer hitch over the weekend. On the JLU's with steel bumpers interestingly enough I used the Quadratec JK hitch that ISN'T compatible with the 10th Anniversary/Hard Rock bumpers. The key thing is needing one with the retaining nuts for the 4 bolts already welded to the hitch. Removed 2 factory bolts and a spacer plate, and the hitch goes right on.

I mainly use it for hitch cargo haulers from UWS and Pakmule, or bike racks, or for towing kayak trailers around our neighborhood. I'll wire it once in-line plug and play 4 pic connectors become available.

hitch.jpg

dbungard

Installed MOPAR door sill guards

Installed the MOPAR door sill guards. Plastic, peel and stick. Look good, wish they covered a little more area than they do though.

sill_guards.jpgsillguardfront.jpgsillguardrear.jpg

dbungard

first trail outing

Some pics from my first local trail outing. This is a local public Wildlife Management Area

Attachments

• IMG_1404.jpg
    IMG_1404.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1405.jpg
    IMG_1405.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1407.jpg
    IMG_1407.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 156

dbungard

added Mopar Premium Rock Rails

Added the Mopar Premium Rock Rails yesterday to act as both a step for better/easier roof access, and provide better coverage for hinges and such. They are bedlined and a direct swap for the OEM. Look great. I now have a set of OEM JLU Rubicon sliders for sale if anybody is from TN and wants a pair.

Attachments

• Mopar_premium_rails_side.jpg
    Mopar_premium_rails_side.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 140
  • rail_step.jpg
    rail_step.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 141
  • rails2.jpg
    rails2.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 146

dbungard

added a custom JLU Tailgate Table

When I had my JKU I made this custom tailgate table from Starboard marine board. Basically HDPE plastic board, and a stainless piano hinge and hardware from Lowes and some paracord. Just have to drill a few small holes in the plastic tailgate cover to feed the paracord through to secure it to features on the metal behind it. About $35 in parts. I use it for cutting, cooking with an MSR backpacking stove, etc. I put extra loops of in the paracord supports and ends so I can hang utensils and garbage bags and such. I also embedded some magnets into the face of the board when opened to hold knife blades in place and keep from sliding around or off.

It folds up and secured with a cinch-lock through the middle hole I have drilled in the board, or backup security from the Nite-Ize adjustable bungee that goes to loops tied into the paracord supports.

I also think its great that Jeep designed in a flat cup rest on the new JLU tailgates on the top right.

Attachments

• Table_closed.jpg
    Table_closed.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Table_closed 2.jpg
    Table_closed 2.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Table_open.jpg
    Table_open.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Table_open2.jpg
    Table_open2.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 151

Bueller44

Added the Mopar Premium Rock Rails yesterday to act as both a step for better/easier roof access, and provide better coverage for hinges and such. They are bedlined and a direct swap for the OEM. Look great. I now have a set of OEM JLU Rubicon sliders for sale if anybody is from TN and wants a pair.

Hi, do these have the strength like a slider? I’ve got the rubi coming and the wife has already stayed she wants a proper step in. I want the protection of a slider. Does this premium rock rail do both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbungard

Hi, do these have the strength like a slider? I’ve got the rubi coming and the wife has already stayed she wants a proper step in. I want the protection of a slider. Does this premium rock rail do both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, they are full strength and mount exactly the same as the OEM rails using the same hardware and mounting points. they are just wider. I don't know why Jeep doesn't include them on the Rubicons to be honest.

Tellico

Good stuff! Love the custom items like the tailgate table.
I do have a couple of questions on the Mopar roof rails. It appears that placement is relatively flexible on the lines of front to back positioning. Is that what you have seen?

Also, from Mopar and other vendors selling their cross rails, it appears that they are “not recommended for watersports [including canoes, paddle boards...]” but I have not been able to get anyone to expand on that statement. I’ve got a pair of plastic paddle boards that I currently stack and strap to a TracRac over the bed of my Tacoma and I’ve never had any issues. I’ve been researching and trying to find someone with Mopar that can tell me why they don’t recommend it for this use. I get that they are a large surface area, but I can honestly say that my truck rides better with them on the rack. I turn the noses down so... downforce I guess.
Would you have any input on how the crossbars would hold up from what you have seen so far? Possibly the hardtop material itself is the weak link here and they are wanted to play it safe by keeping large items off of the top. Not to hijack your thread here, but just very interested in the practical application of the crossbars. I was excited to see them when unveiled and bummed to read the statement on watersports. Thanks in advance for any input!

dbungard

Good stuff! Love the custom items like the tailgate table.
I do have a couple of questions on the Mopar roof rails. It appears that placement is relatively flexible on the lines of front to back positioning. Is that what you have seen?

Also, from Mopar and other vendors selling their cross rails, it appears that they are “not recommended for watersports [including canoes, paddle boards...]” but I have not been able to get anyone to expand on that statement. I’ve got a pair of plastic paddle boards that I currently stack and strap to a TracRac over the bed of my Tacoma and I’ve never had any issues. I’ve been researching and trying to find someone with Mopar that can tell me why they don’t recommend it for this use. I get that they are a large surface area, but I can honestly say that my truck rides better with them on the rack. I turn the noses down so... downforce I guess.
Would you have any input on how the crossbars would hold up from what you have seen so far? Possibly the hardtop material itself is the weak link here and they are wanted to play it safe by keeping large items off of the top. Not to hijack your thread here, but just very interested in the practical application of the crossbars. I was excited to see them when unveiled and bummed to read the statement on watersports. Thanks in advance for any input!

Yes, you can move the Mopar roof rails very easily to whatever spacing is appropriate. I started with them wider, them moved them closer together to fit the Yakima Loadwarrior. You just remove the cover pieces, loosen with an allen wrench, and slide them where you need to. The JL's gutters have been lengthened to yield a lot of options for positioning them.

On the watersports side -- I think it's probably a function of factor of safety and liability. Wind factors and vibration and load shape a lot of things come into play with long things that extend far beyond the crossbars. It could just be that due to those variables they simply can't test it quantifiably and own up to it. I personally will be using them for kayaks and SUPs in our neighborhood to get them to private lakes we have where I live.