ARB Hydraulic Jack?

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I scored a bottle jack with extenders and a removable bottom plate for next to nothing. Even if the jack shits the bed, the accessories fit the other bottle jacks I have in the garage. Not sure I would ever pay full price for it though.

37M-BJRK-6W_large.jpg

97M-UBS_web_large.jpg

BillArnett

The problem I see with small bottle jacks is that they don’t have enough lifting range. Forgive me for doing some math: My tires are 37” in diameter and my wheels are 17” ergo the sidewalls are 10” each. If one is completely flat then the jack has to raise the axle at least 10” in order to get the fully inflated spare on. The little bottle jack I always carry anyway won’t hack it. I looked around on amazon and didn’t find anything better in the way of bottle jacks.

Of course, I have a Hi-Lift, too, and it works fine for changing tires. But it’s kind of difficult to use and it’s a dangerous SOB.

I think the ARB Jack would fit right behind the back seat pretty neatly.

OTOH, $800 is a heck of a lot of money to spend for a jack that with luck (!!) will only be for insurance.

JTCO

Meme King
I don't think I've seen a trail repair yet that a bottle jack wasn't able to overcome as far as getting a tire on and off. 12 ton bottle jack with a 4x4 wood block works great.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
The problem I see with small bottle jacks is that they don’t have enough lifting range. Forgive me for doing some math: My tires are 37” in diameter and my wheels are 17” ergo the sidewalls are 10” each. If one is completely flat then the jack has to raise the axle at least 10” in order to get the fully inflated spare on. The little bottle jack I always carry anyway won’t hack it. I looked around on amazon and didn’t find anything better in the way of bottle jacks.

Of course, I have a Hi-Lift, too, and it works fine for changing tires. But it’s kind of difficult to use and it’s a dangerous SOB.

I think the ARB Jack would fit right behind the back seat pretty neatly.

OTOH, $800 is a heck of a lot of money to spend for a jack that with luck (!!) will only be for insurance.

Granted I’m not as smart as you but the difference is I have real world experience and all you have is numbers and wordy responses. Bottle jack works fine even with 40’s.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Funny, I run 40" tires and my bottle jack seems to get the job done just fine. :thinking:

Oh, I should also mention that I haven't carried a Hi-Lift with me for years. :yup:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug

This is bullshit, nobody told me there was going to be math.

Back away from the abacus and slide rule sir!

JTCO

Meme King
For whoever buys the ARB jack, count on your neighbor (The Jones') to purchase the King version because it's 100 dollars more and they'll make sure that you know it was more $.

Untitled.jpg

Which may result in this:

Just sayin.......

BillArnett

Granted I’m not as smart as you but the difference is I have real world experience and all you have is numbers and wordy responses. Bottle jack works fine even with 40’s.

That's why I asked for comments. Can soemone explain what's wrong with my reasoning? Maybe you have a bottle jack with a lot of throw? Maybe you jack in two stages with some blocks? I really would like to understand.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
That's why I asked for comments. Can soemone explain what's wrong with my reasoning? Maybe you have a bottle jack with a lot of throw? Maybe you jack in two stages with some blocks? I really would like to understand.

ZomboMeme 27062018162508.jpg

I'm sorry, I just can't help myself.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Im actually a fan of the OEM jack, especially if you carry a drill/small impact driver....can zip it right up, and with something like the AEV jack base, works pretty well. Granted I never had any breakdowns out in the bush, but it seems like there is always a lump of wood or a rock that you can stick under the jack to get the height.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Im actually a fan of the OEM jack, especially if you carry a drill/small impact driver....can zip it right up, and with something like the AEV jack base, works pretty well. Granted I never had any breakdowns out in the bush, but it seems like there is always a lump of wood or a rock that you can stick under the jack to get the height.

The factory scissor jack is nice so long as you're Jeep is still stock or on the light side. Once you start running big axles and/or have tons of gear on board, the scissor jack will warp and collapse. I have seen this happen multiple times out on the trail.

NFRs2000NYC

The factory scissor jack is nice so long as you're Jeep is still stock or on the light side. Once you start running big axles and/or have tons of gear on board, the scissor jack will warp and collapse. I have seen this happen multiple times out on the trail.

Ah, I didn't think of that. I've used it to lift an axle but not the jeep, that's a solid point.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

I’ve used that method before in Moab after getting a flat. It works but the bottle jack is safer.

JTCO

Meme King
I've had crap luck with bottle jacks...bought one on amazon, didn't work, returned it, again didn't work, so I gave up on em. Reviews all said that the QC was aweful, but I figured I'd take a chance anyway. Maybe I bought a bad brand or something. I think it was this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Hydrau...F8&qid=1530156409&sr=8-2&keywords=bottle+jack

I had a Torin 12 ton that wouldn't work one day. Customer service even sent me a seal kit and it still didn't lift. I had to replace it at the store, but the new one has worked fine (same model).

NFRs2000NYC

Im assuming like the OEM scissor jack, you need to put something underneath it. Eddie mentioned a piece of wood, or whatever you can find out on the trail.