4-low not staying engaged?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just an update, the Jeep is been into the dealership five times for this. I’m bringing it in for a sixth time. Getting the “we can’t reproduce it here” shenanigans. Made some videos, sent it in to FCA engineers. Will update when I have it all figured out.

Personally I think it’s just a doofus linkage adjustment issue, and the dealer just doesn’t deal with a driver who actually off roads.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Can you post up the video? I'd like to see what you're seeing/experiencing.

Sure. I have to head back into civilization first for internet.

Found a Culver’s and uploaded. Sorry for the password protection. Company policy for this account.

First, apologies, I used the C-word. I called the Jeep a car. I deserve whatever’s coming.

Also, you can see the 4WD light go out just before the error message appears. In other videos, I show the clack-clack of transfer case not fully engaged. When trying to shift to 2HI it gets louder until it shifts to 2HI.

The issue used to be that it would only pop out of 4LO intermittently. The dealership finally adjusted the linkage and now it won’t stay in 4HI.

That’s one of four or five issues I’ve had the Jeep in to dealership five or six times in past few weeks.

I have yet to have a successful, error-free off-road test in this vehicle. On paper I love it. Someday I hope to have it a whole week straight without it being in the shop for no apparent reason [emoji16].

https://vimeo.com/266936816
PWD: jl

(Thumbnail won’t display. Just click on it.)

Last edited:

Taxman

I thought you had to switch the transmission into neutral and be rolling slowly while shifting into 4LO? Can you shift into 4LO while in Drive? I’ve never had an automatic Jeep so I don’t know for sure. I’m just going based on what I’ve seen done.

I thought you had to switch the transmission into neutral and be rolling slowly while shifting into 4LO? Can you shift into 4LO while in Drive? I’ve never had an automatic Jeep so I don’t know for sure. I’m just going based on what I’ve seen done.

Yes, that’s the correct procedure to shift into 4LO. It’s a little confusing in that video because now I’m having a problem staying in 4HI.

13_gecko_rubi

Can see the light drop out of 4H but you are still moving and not grinding so it didn’t come out of 4H. Has to be something with the tcase position sensor/linkage thinking its out when it isn’t. It didn’t go to 2H either so it just thinks it is in between them.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Well, while the dealer does whatever research it’s doing, I figured out the Jeep will stay in 4LO now. If I can get it through 4HI into 4LO before it goes haywire, it stays there all day. So my consolation prize is I can now wheel! (under 15mph lol)