WRITE-UP : JL Wrangler SOFT TOP SUNRIDER POSITION

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
20171202144709-018e5036-me.jpg

One of the things I love most about the Jeep JL Wrangler soft top is that the front half can be opened up just like a targa top or sunroof. Known as the Sunrider Position, it just takes a couple of minutes to get you looking at the sky and the following write-up will show you just how easy it is to do.

Instructions
1. To begin the transformation of your soft top into the Sunrider Position, fold both of your sun visors down and push them toward the windshield. Then, pull the soft top header latches downward and make sure that the hooks are disengaged from their receivers.
20171016151819-9ec6614e.jpg

2. Standing on the outside of your Jeep or standing on the door sill if needed, grab the front edge of your soft top and begin lifting it up.
20171016151807-833b0d92.jpg

3. Continue to fold the Sunrider portion of your top all the way back until it is resting on the rear half of your soft top.
20171016164335-bccf4e3e.jpg

4. Before you start driving around, you need to make sure that the bows are secured in place using the 2 velcro straps that can be found in the center console of your Jeep.
20171016164336-83531cb0.jpg

That's all there is to it! Enjoy :cool:

NOTE: All the information and the images used on this write-up can be found in the JL Wrangler Owners Manual. My purpose for posting it here is to make it easier to access on a mobile device and allow people to use it as a quick reference guide.

ryandamartini

This is the reason why I got the soft top here in Florida. I can in seconds have the sky open on the way to a store and in seconds put it back to secure belongings or because of weather. I love it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is the reason why I got the soft top here in Florida. I can in seconds have the sky open on the way to a store and in seconds put it back to secure belongings or because of weather. I love it.

Definitely something you'd want in a place that gets a lot of sun :cool:

BBDOC

I had the same issue. They didn’t blow out but it sure sounded like it would if I kept driving. I also have a similar issue if I open the windows and the back is open, I get a flapping sound from the second cross bar from the back. Now I just keep the back open and pieces in the garage. All fixed :).

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JAGS

I had the same issue. They didn’t blow out but it sure sounded like it would if I kept driving. I also have a similar issue if I open the windows and the back is open, I get a flapping sound from the second cross bar from the back. Now I just keep the back open and pieces in the garage. All fixed :).

I’ve gotten that flapping sound just by having all four windows down and the soft top up.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
After all that you might as well put it all the way down. It’s ok, I’m in WI and going back to the hardtop soon.

Lol. That's exactly what I thought. The promotional pictures definitely show the sunrider with the removable windows in. I wonder if the owner's manual has been revised to the current directions due to soft window instability. experienced by owners.

YAHAHA

For the past few days, I've been doing some testing. I found that by making sure I use the two Velcro straps to hold the top down in the sunrider position, the rear windows don't blow out.

Front windows down, rear windows down, all 4 windows down... as long as those two straps are on the top, the rear windows stay put. I've driven it up to 70mph without issues.

Now, take those two Velcro straps off and it's a different story. I've had the back windows blow at different speeds with different window configurations.IMG_20180914_173548926.jpegIMG_20180914_173558860_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my XT1575 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

klv30907

For the past few days, I've been doing some testing. I found that by making sure I use the two Velcro straps to hold the top down in the sunrider position, the rear windows don't blow out.

Front windows down, rear windows down, all 4 windows down... as long as those two straps are on the top, the rear windows stay put. I've driven it up to 70mph without issues.

Now, take those two Velcro straps off and it's a different story. I've had the back windows blow at different speeds with different window configurations.View attachment 5400View attachment 5401

Sent from my XT1575 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Interesting, I wonder why? When I did this I had the Velcro straps in place too, guess that’s why the rear windows stayed in

Interesting. I've run quite a lot with the rear windows in and the sunrider laid back without the velcro straps and I've never had the rear windows blow out or even act like they would.

Quirky soft top behavior just proves for certain that these thing have real Jeep genes.