WRITE-UP : Basic DIY Jeep JL Wrangler FRONT END ALIGNMENT

darrenroos

Speaking of control arms, when installing adjustable front upper arms, do I need to loosen any bolts on any other bars, rods, axle connections, etc. during the process or do I only need to worry about the bolts securing the upper arms?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

x7tristan

Setting Your Caster
If you’ve just installed a 2" lift or taller on your Jeep JL Wrangler, your caster will have changed enough to cause some people to feel a "flighty" or "wandering" sensation when driving at highway speeds. To address this problem, you will need to add more positive caster on your front axle and so that it sits closer to stock again, which is +4°. Of course, being that the JL utilizes an FAD (front axle disconnect) system, even more positive caster can be added and without ill effect. Bringing your caster to about +6° or so will help make your JL's steering feel even tighter.

The best way to set your caster is to install a set of adjustable front upper and lower control arms. The lowers should be used to reposition your axle under your Jeep and the uppers used to set your caster. If you're on a budget, you can get by with just a set of adjustable front lower arms but, you will need to make sure they can be set long enough to give you what you need. Both methods are covered in this write-up. While cam bolts can be used as a cheap solution to add a bit more positive caster, I would not recommend them.

@wayoflife do you have a write up on how to reposition the front axle using adjustable lower control arms? Thanks!

JTCO

Meme King
@wayoflife do you have a write up on how to reposition the front axle using adjustable lower control arms? Thanks!

It just needs to be centered within the wheel well. On a small lift, you shouldn't even have to worry about it. To move the axle forward, lengthen the lower arms. To move it rearward, shorten them.

x7tristan

It just needs to be centered within the wheel well. On a small lift, you shouldn't even have to worry about it. To move the axle forward, lengthen the lower arms. To move it rearward, shorten them.

Thanks! I'm assuming you would first center the axle with the lower CAs and then adjust castor with the upper CAs?

JTCO

Meme King
Thanks! I'm assuming you would first center the axle with the lower CAs and then adjust castor with the upper CAs?

By adjusting the upper or the lower, the axle twists/pivots.

So honestly, it is way easier to just lengthen the lowers to set your caster and not mess with the uppers at all. The amount that the axle moves forward shouldn't affect anything or rubbing.

AlexJL

Thanks for this write up ! Maybe a silly question but i have to ask ,I've installed 2'' molar lift my self and then took it to the shop and gave them the paperwork that came with the lift and describes how to correct to do the alignment i guess ,,,,
They did the alignment , the question is - should i be worried? :idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for this write up ! Maybe a silly question but i have to ask ,I've installed 2'' molar lift my self and then took it to the shop and gave them the paperwork that came with the lift and describes how to correct to do the alignment i guess ,,,,

You mean worry that you wasted your money having a guy spend all of 2 minutes re-centering your steering wheel? Yeah, I guess so. If you mean worry that they did something wrong, no. There was nothing on your JL they could have adjusted.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

The fact that you had to give the shop paperwork on how to do an alignment on a Jeep is what would worry me. Why couldn’t you just read it and do it?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Jeepjunkie

I use 2 wood trim pieces, each about 5’ long, ziptied together in such a way they can extend out between 5’-10’. Like an old school telescoping ladder. Then I extend this contraption and fit it snug between inner rim lip on one side to inner rim lip on the other at the very front and then the very back of the rim. I usually start at the front of the rims, then slide it to the back of the rims. The length of the wood contraption stays fixed from the narrowest area between the wheels (usually front since I have toe in). At the widest point (usually the back of the rims) I can now easily measure the gap between the wood contraption and one rim, assuming the other side of my contraption is resting on the other rim. It’s very accurate and I’ve been aligning my TJ this way for a decade.

Shadowfire

*Eddie....did you have to make any adjustments or need an adjustable control arm setup when you did your Rancho lift? I don’t recall if you mentioned that in the video but I’m gonna go back and watch it again. I’m planning to do mine this weekend and don’t want any surprises before I start....3200 mile trip coming up maybe I should wait until I get back?

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
*Eddie....did you have to make any adjustments or need an adjustable control arm setup when you did your Rancho lift? I don’t recall if you mentioned that in the video but I’m gonna go back and watch it again. I’m planning to do mine this weekend and don’t want any surprises before I start....3200 mile trip coming up maybe I should wait until I get back?

If all you're getting the 2.5" lift, you should be okay without anything. Adjustable front lower control arms to set your caster would be nice but not necessarily required. If you get their 3.5" lift, I would highly recommend getting adjustable track bars and front lower control arms at the very least and so that you can set your caster.

jstrange3

Need guidance

Installed a Teraflex 1.5” leveling kit to accommodate larger tires (285/70-17). I followed the guidance for recentering the steering wheel (it seemed to help, so thanks for that!) As I drive, I feel like the JLU is “drifting” or “pulling” to the right. What correction (if any) do I need to make? Is it worth having an alignment check done?

JTCO

Meme King
Installed a Teraflex 1.5” leveling kit to accommodate larger tires (285/70-17). I followed the guidance for recentering the steering wheel (it seemed to help, so thanks for that!) As I drive, I feel like the JLU is “drifting” or “pulling” to the right. What correction (if any) do I need to make? Is it worth having an alignment check done?

You sure tire pressure is the same side to side? Can't imagine a 1.5 inch spacer kit would do anything to cause a pull.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

What tires are you running? Could be something as simple as radial pull - totally normal with most off road tires.

x7tristan

Toe-In Question

The procedures for setting the toe-in call for checking the front measurement after each adjustment, but shouldn't we have to check both rear and front each time an adjustment is made?