What to expect/plan for 35's on JLUR?

SandRat

I have searched this forum and not found, hence this post.

I have a 2018 JLUR and my stock 33" KO2's are close to replacement time. I have the 2.5" MOPAR lift, stock Rubicon 17" rims.
This is my daily driver and will sometimes flat-tow behind RV. I am not an aggressive off-roader in the Jeep, I burn all of my energy in my RZR Turbo S in SoCal deserts.

When I move to 35" (from stock 33's) any considerations?
  • Speedometer re-calibrate? Requires a TAZER?
  • Will the 5th tire fit OK on stock rear rack w/ camera & brake light? (adjustable?)
I am looking to get the hard-to-find Mickey Thompson Baja AT. If available, can I go with wider widths?

Thanks for any wisdom you can provide!

Attachments

• 20201228_101647.jpg
    20201228_101647.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 7

Bear_JT

When you make the change in tire size you will need to recalibrate your speedo. A Tazer or equivalent programmer will do that for you.
The stock spare tire carrier will handle a 35” no problem. You just need to make sure it’s properly isolated and doesn’t just float or vibrate on the back.

JTCO

Meme King
You'll have to pull the camera cover but tire will fit. It may slightly rub on the rear bumper. Ours does on our Sport but still shuts fine.

gnbs2014

To piggyback on the OP's question, is there any undercarriage work required when going to 35s and a 2 1/2" lift? Meaning driveshaft, control arms, track bar, etc? I came from a JKUR and the handling got funky when it was lifted. I heard the JLURs were better equipped for that and didn't require much until you got a much higher lift and tire set up.

Sorry to hijack the thread but seemed appropriate :)

SandRat

I am the OP. I have the Mopar 2.5" lift (dealer installed), but have not yet gone to the 35's as the ones I want are very hard to find (the new Mickey Thompson Baja AT's). I did however, need to install front & rear Track Bars (adjustable) as it had tracking problems after the lift on stock 33" KO's.

Also, pay attention to death wobble JLUR 2018 (2x dealer recalls, 2x heavy duty stabilizer installed to "band aid" the root issue). I will be curious if the added weight/size of the 35's will impact death wobble.

Hoping to take delivery of the tires in the next few weeks....

deserthi

Do any of you have a JL with manual trans on a rubicon? I am dying to know how it drives if you do. I just got one and wondering how 4.11 gears work with 35" tires on a manual trans. Thanks

Do any of you have a JL with manual trans on a rubicon? I am dying to know how it drives if you do. I just got one and wondering how 4.11 gears work with 35" tires on a manual trans. Thanks

It depends on the 35's. I had 315 KO2's and it was fine. I moved to 35x12.5x17 Grabber X3's and the slight increase in diameter, from 34.6 to 34.9 made 6th gear a bit of a pain. Overall, though, it is tolerable. 1st through 5th is perfectly fine. 6th is ok at 70 and up but hills or headwinds will have you downshifting to 5th pretty quickly.

I'm re-gearing to 4.56 this week to regain the usefulness of 6th gear. It should be around 2400rpm or a little higher at 75mph in 6th. I should be able to run 6th gear at 55 or 60mph now, too. I actually expect a slight increase in mileage. I thought about 4.88's, but I think first gear would be just too short. It'd be like a tractor gear.

Off-road, 4.10's and 35's are no issue. I just completed my 2nd trip to Moab and it climbs things like a mountain goat. Low range really feels no different than when I had the stock 33's. I almost idled up the steepest hills even with the AC on.

Hope that helps!

I'm running:
35x13.5x17 Maxxis Razr MT
on my stock 2020 Rubicon with no issues or modifications at all. I did use my AEV ProCal Snap to reprogram the speedo for the new tire size. *Note: make sure you measure the tire size - don't use the size listed on the tire. If you need a class on tire sizes compare to the "actual" tire size look at Eddie's post here about tire sizes - it's very informative. Some manufacturers are very very wishful in their tire size assessments.

I chose the AEV Procal Snap because you don't have to leave it in like you do the Tazer. Your choice. I have them both.