VIDEO : MOAB - IT STARTS AGAIN / Part 1 - JL Wranglers on Gold Bar Rim & Golden Spike

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh man that looked like so much fun. The JLs looked great!

At one point Tony said the rear bumpers needed to go—did he have the same bumper flex?

I see that Tony responded but just to confirm, yes, his did too. However, I should point out that there were several things going on and the first of which is that the bumper shifted up in its mount. It's like the nuts weren't tightened enough from the factory or something. Then you have the bumper itself flexing not helping anything and then of course, the body mounts allow for a LOT of movement between the frame and body - this is a good thing for ride comfort but not so good for a bumper that's already sitting way too close to the body because it shifted up.

that was great! I never tire of the views around Moab.

When I buy a JL, I know now not to get the steel bumpers, that's a lot of movement on that rear bumper.

I'm still in awe of what the JL can do with minimal lift on 37's and still get good mileage!

While I like the 13.5 Coopers, I wish I'd gotten the 12.5. Didn't think 13.5 would make that big a difference but damn it's heavy and difficult to wrap your arms around it.

I've already had to pick up my nads up off the ground trying to get that spare in place :icon_crazy:

I really need to stop watching JL stuff... I'm too close to the edge on buying one lol

LOL!! Maybe next year, we'll see you in Moab and in a JL. Be great to wheel with you there too :cool:

Great video again!

Thanks! We're so glad you liked it :)

My wife and I both enjoyed Pt.1 and are looking forward to Pt 2 :)

And I’ll be sure to fix my bumpers before doing any serious wheeling.

What will you do to "fix" it?

Great vid. Really enjoying the adventure and the jeep way of life. Have to wait until the end of the year for theJL to arrive in oz.

Bummer you have to wait so long for your JL but I think you'll love it. :yup:

You both really captured the Moab experience! Awesome video! Thank you very much for the fun and memorable trip! :thumb:

It was great having you and Steph join in on the fun with us and in your super sweet JL! Oh wait, it looks just like ours :crazyeyes:
Looking forward to doing it again soon :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, you vids are great. Nice editing and production work. My wife and I have been watching you since the JK Experience vids. Your adventures have inspired my wife Carla and I. We are buying a JL Rubicon and setting it up like yours. We will buy in the fall or early spring depending on how much traveling I end up doing. We follow your build and are adjusting our planned build based off your feedback on the JL. I was all set for a Red one, and the wife is really digging the white.

I may even start buying some of the upgrades before I purchase the Jeep. The factory steel bumpers are off the list now, and will have to start looking for bumpers. I am not crazy about the bar loops and want the winch to sit down inside the bumper instead of on top of the bumper.

We yearn to be gone from Michigan and be out West wheeling. Our goal is to drink fresh brewed coffee above the tree line at sunrise and to watch a sunset from the top of a mountian sipping a great whiskey. We will do this. The motorhome is paid for, the trailer is paid for, and each month, our down payment for the JL grows. Maybe one day we will see you on the trail and we will tip a bottle so I can thank you for the inspiration.

Wow, glad to hear you've been watching our videos for such a long time and still like them :crazyeyes:
Be great to meet up with you out on the trail someday :)

Awesome video. I've already started building my rear stinger. Not sure if I'll ever hit it, but peace of mind is worth it for me. And a video like this is tempting me more and more to stop at the dealer and spend money on a Jeep that I don't really need to.

BTW, How did the JK lose lockers? Air line or something?

Et is still running factory e-lockers. Being that he's running coilovers, he has way more flex than us. He zip tied the wiring harness to something that limited the amount of droop it could handle and after some big flex somewhere, that caused the wiring to pull right out of the plug. :crazyeyes:

RanchoRubi

It was an awesome experience and special treat for Michelle and I to be able join this trip. Thank you Eddie and Cindy. The video does an outstanding job of capturing the JLs capability in real wheeling situations with a place like Moab.

As much as I thought the JK was close to being an optimal platform, after seeing these two minimally modified JLs in action, I’m convince that the JL is a game-changer. [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

RanchoRubi

Et is still running factory e-lockers. Being that he's running coilovers, he has way more flex than us. He zip tied the wiring harness to something that limited the amount of droop it could handle and after some big flex somewhere, that caused the wiring to pull right out of the plug. :crazyeyes:

Note to self...”Sometimes, Free and Loose is better than Zipped and Tight”. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Great video! Brings back memories for me of my first time on that trail! Can’t wait to go back.

Now I know you like to bomb thru the flat entrance of gold bar rim in moby. Did you do the same in jet? Did the rubi shocks fade at all? I know you said the tailgate did good but was curious on the ride aspect

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It was an awesome experience and special treat for Michelle and I to be able join this trip. Thank you Eddie and Cindy. The video does an outstanding job of capturing the JLs capability in real wheeling situations with a place like Moab.

As much as I thought the JK was close to being an optimal platform, after seeing these two minimally modified JLs in action, I’m convince that the JL is a game-changer. [emoji106][emoji106]

So glad the two of you were able to join us on this pilgrimage to the promised land. Looking forward to seeing your new JL soon ;) :D

Awesome video! After watching that new video we had to go watch 'Moab - Fork Yeah' Keep the great videos coming!!!:beer:

LOL!! FORK YEAH!! :rock:

Note to self...”Sometimes, Free and Loose is better than Zipped and Tight”. [emoji12]

:cheesy: Just let it hang my friend :D

Wow your videos never get old. Hope to see some JL Experience videos!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the video. While I have no doubt there will be a JL Experience video coming your way, it'll most likely not be made by us. We stopped attending the event after PNW. :cool:

Great video! Brings back memories for me of my first time on that trail! Can’t wait to go back.

Now I know you like to bomb thru the flat entrance of gold bar rim in moby. Did you do the same in jet? Did the rubi shocks fade at all? I know you said the tailgate did good but was curious on the ride aspect

On this video, we just cruised through it but by the end of the week, we were flying across it. The shocks did okay but then, the stretch isn't that long. They start to fade when you're doing miles upon miles of it end on end.

Need to get you out there with us again :yup:

Great to see them in action! Well done.

Thank you :)

BillArnett

....What will you do to "fix" [the rear bumper]?...

I intend to either just remove it completely like you did or replace with with something from PoisonSpyder, LoD, or whatever. I'm a little hesitant about just removing it, though, as it seems to me that would leave the corners of the body pretty vulnerable. Is your setup just temporary?

ResurrectionJK

Awesome seeing these trails again...but for the first time in a way. We were going to wait until next year to order our JLUR, but that may change after seeing that you don’t need to build them up a lot to do what they do. As always, thanks for bringing us along.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I intend to either just remove it completely like you did or replace with with something from PoisonSpyder, LoD, or whatever. I'm a little hesitant about just removing it, though, as it seems to me that would leave the corners of the body pretty vulnerable. Is your setup just temporary?

Not sure. Certainly, I'm not opposed to running bumperless for the long haul. It's how we've been running our JK's for years.

Awesome seeing these trails again...but for the first time in a way. We were going to wait until next year to order our JLUR, but that may change after seeing that you don’t need to build them up a lot to do what they do. As always, thanks for bringing us along.

LOL!! Looking forward to seeing your new JL :crazyeyes: :D

Another great video! I already called my friend at the dealership about trading in my JK, might need to move up the appointment.

I think you're gonna love it :thumb:

You liked those trails so much you ram them twice :)

Nice video

Sent via....

Nah, just wanted to go wheeling with you ;) :crazyeyes: :D

Wale79

Great vids, now I want 37s as well! Eddie, would you reccomend the budget boost with 37s to use as weekend driver/long travel vacation vehicle with the fam? Coming from a TJ with 33s I've always wanted 35s but it seems the JLs dont need anything other than a lift to run 37s...thanks again for all the great offroad footage.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great vids, now I want 37s as well! Eddie, would you reccomend the budget boost with 37s to use as weekend driver/long travel vacation vehicle with the fam? Coming from a TJ with 33s I've always wanted 35s but it seems the JLs dont need anything other than a lift to run 37s...thanks again for all the great offroad footage.

Well, it's what I'm running. I saw no point in going 35's being that you can pretty much run that stock. That being said, I'm not 100% happy with the ride I have now and I think the problem is that the factory shocks can't keep up with the significantly heavier wheels and tires. I'd like to install some new and better shocks to see if that helps things out.

BornToRunAustin

Thanks for sharing...best JL review on a challenging trail

Thanks for posting this...awesome video. We get to see how a JL handles at MOAB without having to scratch up our new beauties. It is going to take me a little while to get over the keep it clean and shiny time when you have a new one. This period won't last long...

John