Transfer Case mod

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Are you trying to shift while stopped? It's easier to shift into and out of 4L with the vehicle rolling 2 to 3 MPH (3 to 4 KPH?), and the transmission in neutral (auto) or clutch pedal pushed all the way in (manual).

JTCO

Meme King
I'm not sure that this is entirely necessary. Several people have done axle swaps and I don't think that they had to mess with the tcase at all.

13_gecko_rubi

Has anyone done it? https://www.dynatrac.com/blog/jeep-wrangler-jl-transfer-case-modification/

Our t-case is a mofo sometimes to shift from 4hi to 4lo & back again. I have to roll back & forth sometimes so it will shift. I have only re geared, but was looking at 1 piece front shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
Did you swap axles and remove front axle disconnect?

If not, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DO THAT MOD!! You need the synchro with the FAD.

Sent via....

Jesse_01

Did you swap axles and remove front axle disconnect?

If not, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DO THAT MOD!! You need the synchro with the FAD.

Sent via....

The FAD works about 50% of the time, the other part it throws serv 4wd. So the FAD is getting removed in the near future. I don't wan't fuel economy, I want reliability.

13_gecko_rubi

The FAD works about 50% of the time, the other part it throws serv 4wd. So the FAD is getting removed in the near future. I don't wan't fuel economy, I want reliability.
You should go have it fixed then still replace if you want but id definitely get it fixed first.

Sent via....

JTCO

Meme King
Nope, never smashed it. The collar kept floating towards locked while driving unlocked. For some reason the motor wasn't holding the collar place correctly.

In the dealerships eyes, it wasn't meant to handle the torque & load of 5.13 gears & 37" tires. I didn't feel like arguing.

It's just an actuated metal piece. Gear ratio and tire size should have nothing to do with it. But hey, dealerships will say whatever they want to get customers to pay.

Jesse_01

It's just an actuated metal piece. Gear ratio and tire size should have nothing to do with it. But hey, dealerships will say whatever they want to get customers to pay.

That's why I don't buy the extended warranty.

Imo putting an axle discount on a Rubicon is silly if it's meant to be offroad. What happens if a person was 100+ miles in the mtns & the actuator becomes a quitter.

No 4wd & possibly a $$$$ tow bill. Or worse it's your only source of transportation.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
That's why I don't buy the extended warranty.

Imo putting an axle discount on a Rubicon is silly if it's meant to be offroad. What happens if a person was 100+ miles in the mtns & the actuator becomes a quitter.

No 4wd & possibly a $$$$ tow bill. Or worse it's your only source of transportation.

You should sell it and get a Toyota. Jeeps are total pieces of shit.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Just some features are shit. Poor welded track bars, FAD that don't last. Probably a couple more things.

Death wobble due to faulty steering stabilizer. [emoji849][emoji849].

The myth that keeps on giving..... its 2019 and people still believe steering stabilizers are the reason for death wobble? You were just joking, right?

Yes, I cannot tell the intent of the sarcasm emoji. LOL! Is it meant to denote irony or cynicism?

Last edited:

GCM 2.0

Yes, I cannot tell the intent of the sarcasm emoji. LOL! Is it meant denote irony or cynicism?

Exactly! I am hoping it was not a serious statement about steering stabilizers. The only thing they can be blamed for is leaking fluid on a garage floor.

Last edited: