Should I be worried?

JP223/3USA

I took it to the dealership because I had a check engine light after 10 miles from leaving the dealership. They took pics of the crack and submitted them. I was told they would most likely have to fix and repaint the entire rear tailgate :(

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it's under warranty, they're taking care of it. Me personally if it was a huge fiasco for them to paint it, etc, I would have just filled that area with clear silicon to prevent rust. That's just the way I am. Hopefully they can repair it somehow without a whole lot of downtime for you and your Jeep.

Tellico

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it's under warranty, they're taking care of it. Me personally if it was a huge fiasco for them to paint it, etc, I would have just filled that area with clear silicon to prevent rust. That's just the way I am. Hopefully they can repair it somehow without a whole lot of downtime for you and your Jeep.

There’s not too much concern of “rust” with an aluminum and magnesium tailgate assembly, but I agree with WJCO; the minimum fix would be seal it up to prevent any moisture intrusion into the tailgate assembly. Since Jeep is owning up to it and painting for free, I would be a happy camper. Here’s to hoping you get it back quickly!