Replacing Sport/Sahara Suspension With Rubicon Suspension. Possible Wayalife Video?

jamrock

So... I have learnt a whole lot from the Wayalife videos. I am currently watching how to install the Synergy steering tie rod, drag link, etc.

Many Sport and Sahara owners want to replace the factory suspension components with Rubicon suspension components. So far I have not seen any comprehensive videos on how to do this.

It would be great if Wayalife could do a video on this. Many of us would benefit from the logical, step by step approach that Eddie takes in his videos. Is this possible?

JTCO

Meme King
So... I have learnt a whole lot from the Wayalife videos. I am currently watching how to install the Synergy steering tie rod, drag link, etc.

Many Sport and Sahara owners want to replace the factory suspension components with Rubicon suspension components. So far I have not seen any comprehensive videos on how to do this.

It would be great if Wayalife could do a video on this. Many of us would benefit from the logical, step by step approach that Eddie takes in his videos. Is this possible?
I thought for sure they did a video on synergy steering replacement.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Yeah, that might be something we can do 😎

jamrock

That would be really cool.

Some people don't want a lift. They just want their Sport to be a little taller and to have the beefier look that the stock Rubicon has. Putting on Rubicon springs/shocks and using -12 offset wheels makes a big difference.

There are some little things that we need to know. Do you put the Jeep on the ground before you tighten things up? How much torque is required on the various components? What are the gotchas that can make or break things? What are the benefits of using the longer lower control arms that come with the Mopar lift kit now that the Jeep is a little higher?

I have seen some documentation, but nothing works like a step by step video.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That would be really cool.

Some people don't want a lift. They just want their Sport to be a little taller and to have the beefier look that the stock Rubicon has. Putting on Rubicon springs/shocks and using -12 offset wheels makes a big difference.

There are some little things that we need to know. Do you put the Jeep on the ground before you tighten things up? How much torque is required on the various components? What are the gotchas that can make or break things? What are the benefits of using the longer lower control arms that come with the Mopar lift kit now that the Jeep is a little higher?

I have seen some documentation, but nothing works like a step by step video.

To be clear, Rubicon's have taller fenders and have wider axles. You can't just install Rubicon coils and shocks and get a Sport or Sahara to have the stance of a Rubicon.

Regarding the tightening of bolts, I cover torque specs in the other install videos that I've made and it would be the same with this. There really shouldn't be a need to loosen or remove control arm bolts especially being that you should still be within stock specs with the Rubicon coils but IF you did, you would need to tighten them with the full weight of the Jeep on the ground. And, this is only because the factory control arms use bonded rubber bushings. IF you were to have control arms with spherical joints like a Johnny joint or D2 joint, there would be no need for this.

The benefits of using ADJUSTABLE lower control arms is that you can add in a bit more caster after installing a taller lift. From experience, I can tell you that the Mopar kit will yield closer to 3" of lift. That is WAY more than what you would get with just Rubicon springs. Also, to the best of my knowledge, the Mopar arms are the same length as stock.

Again, I cover everything you'd need to know in my other videos. Everything would be the same. The main point to doing a video isn't to show you new things but rather, to show you that it can be done and how much lift you will really get from it.

The benefits of using ADJUSTABLE lower control arms is that you can add in a bit more caster after installing a taller lift. From experience, I can tell you that the Mopar kit will yield closer to 3" of lift. That is WAY more than what you would get with just Rubicon springs. Also, to the best of my knowledge, the Mopar arms are the same length as stock.
The Mopar lift comes with new longer lower control arms.

jamrock

To be clear, Rubicon's have taller fenders and have wider axles. You can't just install Rubicon coils and shocks and get a Sport or Sahara to have the stance of a Rubicon.

Regarding the tightening of bolts, I cover torque specs in the other install videos that I've made and it would be the same with this. There really shouldn't be a need to loosen or remove control arm bolts especially being that you should still be within stock specs with the Rubicon coils but IF you did, you would need to tighten them with the full weight of the Jeep on the ground. And, this is only because the factory control arms use bonded rubber bushings. IF you were to have control arms with spherical joints like a Johnny joint or D2 joint, there would be no need for this.

Again, I cover everything you'd need to know in my other videos. Everything would be the same. The main point to doing a video isn't to show you new things but rather, to show you that it can be done and how much lift you will really get from it.
Sounds good. Looking forward to the video.

They come with new lower control arms but I'm pretty sure they're the same length as stock. At least, the ones I measured were.
They ARE longer. That is why Mopar sends them in the kit. If they were not longer, they wouldn't send the same as stock control arms to replace. I put them side by side and new arms are a little longer. I don't remember by how much, it was over two years ago.
Obviously it is to bring the pinion angle back to stock.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They ARE longer. That is why Mopar sends them in the kit. If they were not longer, they wouldn't send the same as stock control arms to replace. I put them side by side and new arms are a little longer. I don't remember by how much, it was over two years ago.
I think they are 0.25" longer than stock
Cool, if you say so, it must be true. I'd be the first to admit that when I personally measured it, there could have been a HUGE 0.25" difference that I obviously didn't see. :)

jamrock

That is what I have read. They are used by people who want to keep the ride as close to stock as possible.

The Rubicons have the same length control arms as the Sport even though they sit a bit taller. There has been some discussion as to whether the longer control arms are necessary or not. Those who have used them say that they make for a better ride.

CanadaJeep

Caught the Bug
Cool, if you say so, it must be true. I'd be the first to admit that when I personally measured it, there could have been a HUGE 0.25" difference that I obviously didn't see. :)
sorry but the rubicon and sport come from the factory with the same LCA. In the mopar lift kit you do get new LCA's that are 3/16" longer than stock. ( not 0.25" that i said earlier) That would explain a different part # for thoselca.jpg