Rear window flaps

klv30907

Is anyone having trouble keeping the flaps at the bottom of the rear window in? Every time I pump gas I check my rear window. The small flaps at the bottom are never engaged! No water is getting in and there is no movement in the top it is just weird that the retainer is holding.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I have seen this occur when people do not have their side windows appropriately installed. Are both bottom rear clips of your side windows squarely seated? Not necessarily pulled out in the direction of the blue arrow, but offset in the direction of the red arrow.

20180905_105054-1024x768.jpg

I hope you can make sense of what I said above. Lol. Either way, what I'm trying to say is that I've seen the rear lowers pop out when the side window clips are not evenly situated between the side of the red arrow and the side opposite the red arrow.

Last edited:

JAGS

Mine do the same. These fuckers. If I pull the rear window up they tuck. But it won’t stay up and goes back to sagging.

Case in point. This is me just walking out and snapping a pic. Didn’t touch a thing and this is how they are.

IMG_5726.jpg
IMG_5728.jpg

I also have a sometimes annoying flapping with all the windows down. I think it’s the rear window. I’m thinking about somehow adding some Velcro to keep things tighter. Not sure they put some on the side windows, but not the rear.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Mine do the same. These fuckers. If I pull the rear window up they tuck. But it won’t stay up and goes back to sagging.

Case in point. This is me just walking out and snapping a pic. Didn’t touch a thing and this is how they are.

View attachment 5187
View attachment 5188

I also have a sometimes annoying flapping with all the windows down. I think it’s the rear window. I’m thinking about somehow adding some Velcro to keep things tighter. Not sure they put some on the side windows, but not the rear.

Well that sucks. Mine are so tight that I struggle with them to remove the rear window. I usually have to pop them out by pulling the swing gate bar.

JAGS

Well that sucks. Mine are so tight that I struggle with them to remove the rear window. I usually have to pop them out by pulling the swing gate bar.

My soft top was on from the factory, so maybe there is something not right. Not sure how to know what that might be. I’d rather have it too tight than too loose. Ha ha.

WiscoHR

View attachment 5187
View attachment 5188

Mine are always popped out like that too. The flapping sound with all the windows down is from the side windows at the bottoms. They just seem to have a looser fit than what the JK had. On the JK it seemed like you had to stretch the window to get it into the rail on the tub. These go right in almost to easily.

klv30907

I have seen this occur when people do not have their side windows appropriately installed. Are both bottom rear clips of your side windows squarely seated? Not necessarily pulled out in the direction of the blue arrow, but offset in the direction of the red arrow.

View attachment 5183

I hope you can make sense of what I said above. Lol. Either way, what I'm trying to say is that I've seen the rear lowers pop out when the side window clips are not evenly situated between the side of the red arrow and the side opposite the red arrow.

Ha ha, I’ll check it! I just had shoulder surgery so my husband tried to put it back together for me. He’s a great guy but attention to detail is not his thing. I will definitely look into that though—thanks!

klv30907

View attachment 5187
View attachment 5188

Yes that’s what mine does. I don’t hear flapping, I may have the radio too loud!

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
So I reinstalled my soft windows tonight. Sides went on no problem as usual. However, when I installed my rear window, the driver's side "lower flap" was tight as hell but the passenger side lower flap was so loose it would fall out right after I secured it. I figured maybe the window was off center or something. After fiddling with it I noticed that the plastic retainers that slide into the quarter window grooves are 1/3 to 1/2 inch shorter than the groove itself. If I seat the plastic retainers at the bottom and work toward the top then the lower flaps are super loose. If I start at the top and then work toward the bottom they are very tight.

Note the picture below. On my JLUR, the plastic retainers (black arrow) are shorter than the grooves they press in to. FWIW my JLUR is a factory dual top.

20180907_005427.jpg

JAGS

So I reinstalled my soft windows tonight. Sides went on no problem as usual. However, when I installed my rear window, the driver's side "lower flap" was tight as hell but the passenger side lower flap was so loose it would fall out right after I secured it. I figured maybe the window was off center or something. After fiddling with it I noticed that the plastic retainers that slide into the quarter window grooves are 1/3 to 1/2 inch shorter than the groove itself. If I seat the plastic retainers at the bottom and work toward the top then the lower flaps are super loose. If I start at the top and then work toward the bottom they are very tight.

Note the picture below. On my JLUR, the plastic retainers (black arrow) are shorter than the grooves they press in to. FWIW my JLUR is a factory dual top.

View attachment 5229

Hmmm. Interesting. I’ll need to see if I notice any differences. Would be awesome if it was this simple.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
With regards to seating the rear window plastic retainers into the quarter window grooves as discussed above, there is about a half-inch of adjustability as shown below.

Plastic retainer seated at the bottom of the groove:
20180907_105444-1280x960.jpg

Plastic retainer seated from the top of the groove:
20180907_105613-1280x959.jpg

Measured difference:
20180907_105736-1280x943.jpg

If I install the plastic retainers very low in the grooves, then the lower rear window retainers (flaps) just fall out. If I install the plastic retainers high in the grooves, then the lower rear window retainers (flaps) are tight and remain firmly attached. I was on the highway this morning at 75 mph. My lowers stayed in and I experienced no audible flapping whether my passenger windows were up or down. Of course, YMMV.

Last edited:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Taking off the soft top tonight and going to hard top before fall. And look what I found. Those flaps that won’t stay closed also liked to scratch the paint.

View attachment 5257

Well that's lame. Are those scuffs that can be rubbed out? I wonder if a little clear bra in that area will not only protect the paint but also help the flaps to stay in place.