KO2's Air down question

JL2018

I have the JL rubicon on order and I'm going to get the Mopar 2" lift and intend put 35X12.5x 17 KO2's with E load rating. the question: If I put beadlocks on it, how low will I be able to air down with those tires? Is there a sweet spot? will airing down too low cause any damage to these particular tires?

Also: any recommendations on lightweight beadlocks witch offer the proper offset for the greatest stability?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have the JL rubicon on order and I'm going to get the Mopar 2" lift and intend put 35X12.5x 17 KO2's with E load rating. the question: If I put beadlocks on it, how low will I be able to air down with those tires? Is there a sweet spot? will airing down too low cause any damage to these particular tires?

Also: any recommendations on lightweight beadlocks witch offer the proper offset for the greatest stability?

With beadlocks, you can practically run your tires at zero psi or at least, on the trail anyway. Of course, that would be totally unnecessary though. For the most part and on most trails, 12-15 psi is what I'd run and really, you don't even need beadlocks for that. For terrain that demands lower, about 6-8 psi is typically as low as I go. But then, that's the exception and not the rule.

If you really think you need beadlocks for the kind of wheeling you do, the Mopar ones sound like they'd be a good fit for you.

JL2018

With beadlocks, you can practically run your tires at zero psi or at least, on the trail anyway. Of course, that would be totally unnecessary though. For the most part and on most trails, 12-15 psi is what I'd run and really, you don't even need beadlocks for that. For terrain that demands lower, about 6-8 psi is typically as low as I go. But then, that's the exception and not the rule.

If you really think you need beadlocks for the kind of wheeling you do, the Mopar ones sound like they'd be a good fit for you.

Thanks, I never had beadlocks before and I never ran tires below 15 lbs.

With that thick of a sidewall on the E load rating, I wasn't sure if the tread would buckle up with too low of pressure. I know the c load rating would have a more flexible sidewall, but I wanted the heavier. These tires have such a great reputation, just want to get the most out of them.

Regarding the beadlocks, the Mopar look great, but I guess I'm just trying to save money where I can. Buying this Rubi with just about all the options, my budget is taking a hit (whine, whine) and at over $500 per wheel, the Mopar beadlocks are just a little more than I want to spend at this time. Just trying to find some with comparable offset and backspace. I was thinking about just getting the Mopar and making up the difference by selling the takeoffs, but my wife saw the pics of the 33" KO2's and wants to keep them for her pickup. (should have never showed them to her) :) :) Thanks again

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, I never had beadlocks before and I never ran tires below 15 lbs.

With that thick of a sidewall on the E load rating, I wasn't sure if the tread would buckle up with too low of pressure. I know the c load rating would have a more flexible sidewall, but I wanted the heavier. These tires have such a great reputation, just want to get the most out of them.

Regarding the beadlocks, the Mopar look great, but I guess I'm just trying to save money where I can. Buying this Rubi with just about all the options, my budget is taking a hit (whine, whine) and at over $500 per wheel, the Mopar beadlocks are just a little more than I want to spend at this time. Just trying to find some with comparable offset and backspace. I was thinking about just getting the Mopar and making up the difference by selling the takeoffs, but saw the pics of the 33" KO2's and wants to keep them for her pickup. (should have never showed them to her) :) :) Thanks again

If anything, a Load Range E tire would NOT buckle at all being that the sidewalls are so thick. In fact, I typically find that I air down E tires LOWER than C's just to get them to perform the same on the rocks. Being that money is an issue and that you never drop down below 15 psi, I might recommend you save your money and NOT get beadlocks as they really aren't necessary for your needs.

JTCO

Meme King

Just for kicks, here's a E tire with 15 psi in it. Hugging the rock. I'm actually probably going to start running 20psi just to save some ground clearance, granted these are Cooper STT Pros and they stick to the rocks like a glove.

DSC06853.jpg

JL2018

I wouldn't mind going below 15 Lbs. Just never did because I didn't have beadlocks, That's why I want them on this one.

When I had my bronco, no one I knew had off road vehicles So I always went alone and didn't take on anything too extreme because I was out there by myself, so, no need for beadlocks. but now all my friends have JK's and are hitting the rocks regularly. We've got a trip planned for Rubicon trail in July (if my JL comes in by then) and I'm looking forward to that and harder trails. plus, we have a lot of sand here in AZ and I like the idea of going really low.

Onlyone

As Eddie said, I too run about 12-15 psi with 35’s and no beadlocks on my old JK.
Here’s a picture at 12psi. You can kind of see the pass side bulge. The tires were E like WJCO’s picture

Attachments

• 098F5C2A-DC7E-4873-B2CF-E8A281251533.jpg
    098F5C2A-DC7E-4873-B2CF-E8A281251533.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited: