JL Wrangler Rubicon Fender Gaps Filling Up with Rocks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That looks like a nice and elegant solution. I kinda wonder why jeep doesn’t do that from the factory.

Seriously! I love my JL but this fender gap thing kinda annoys me. I mean really, Jeeps are designed to go off road - did nobody at Jeep think about this? :rolleyes2:

This looks great, and presumably does the trick. I’m sure I speak for more than just myself when I say that I’m already really tired of picking rocks and other small things out of this gap!! Thanks for posting Eddie! Looking forward to the write up! [emoji1303]

Thanks! I just want to do a bit more real world testing to make sure it'll stay in place before I recommend it as a solution. Write-up coming soon. :yup:

Nice. I was waiting for somebody else to be the guinea pig before ordering.

LOL!! Well, unlike a lot of other solutions I considered, this one is super cheap, super easy to install and should get the job done well. :cool:

Looks Great!

Thank you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s a great idea.

Thanks! I wasn't 100% sure it'd work and it may still not. I have to see but so far, it's been working great and I think it'll hold up. :yup:

Wow!!! That looks like it was installed that way from the factory. I can’t wait for the video.

Thank you. Fortunately, working on old iron over the years has given me a tool chest of ideas that I could work with. :yup:

No more suspense, what the heck is it? Rubber trim?

Sorry, not trying to keep ya'll in suspense, I just don't want to put out bad info assuming it doesn't work. As I've stated before, it's a type of welting.

Looking forward to the video & name of this product...I def need some! Thanks Eddie!

I will be sure to include an Amazon link where you can buy it, what size you'll need and how how many feet as well. More info coming soon. :yup:

Looks good.

Thank you :cool:

aug0211

Thank you! Excited for more info. I’d be willing to take the risk for a few bucks and buy it to try it. If it doesn’t end up living up to your hopes and expectations, no harm done - I’ll just pull it out :)

I’ll try to be patient though.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Washed my Jeep the other day. It was hot & parked in the sun so the fenders were a little soft. I applied some pressure & used a plastic hook from a firearm cleaning kit (like in the photo) to scoop the crap out. I’d get the hook in position, press the fender, scoop, then release. Very fluidly & it worked perfect.

Attachments

• FD0BEB25-EE60-48B9-A343-3E671FF902D7.jpeg
    FD0BEB25-EE60-48B9-A343-3E671FF902D7.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 118

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Washed my Jeep the other day. It was hot & parked in the sun so the fenders were a little soft. I applied some pressure & used a plastic hook from a firearm cleaning kit (like in the photo) to scoop the crap out. I’d get the hook in position, press the fender, scoop, then release. Very fluidly & it worked perfect.

Maybe Santa will bring one of these to put in your detail kit...

818gCORy4jL._SL1500_.jpg

BillArnett

Just a little pressure with my hand to pull the fender away from the body and a strong stream from my hose nozzle did the trick for me.

But all this just reinforces my desire to ditch the stock fenders in favor of some flat ones when they become available...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I've been using a hook very similar to those to get the rocks out. It works but it's lame that we have to do this in the first place. :rolleyes2:

Maybe Santa will bring one of these to put in your detail kit...

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just a little pressure with my hand to pull the fender away from the body and a strong stream from my hose nozzle did the trick for me.

But all this just reinforces my desire to ditch the stock fenders in favor of some flat ones when they become available...

Yeah, that kinda works with small stuff but even a super strong pressure washer that started removing the clear protectors off my rear fenders couldn't get these guys out or at least, not without taking the paint off with them.

20180817134145-ad02b266-me.jpg

aug0211

Any chance you’ve decided whether your solution is ready for prime time, or still feeling it out before sharing the details? Not trying to be pushy :) Just anxious to get something in there before I start getting rocks that I can’t get out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any chance you’ve decided whether your solution is ready for prime time, or still feeling it out before sharing the details? Not trying to be pushy :) Just anxious to get something in there before I start getting rocks that I can’t get out.

LOL!! The problem is the welt I'm using has no adhesive - it sits in the gap by compression alone and I'm not sure if what I got has enough resilience to stay put under constant use at highway speeds. There are other welts of different thicknesses I was considering using instead but you'd be required to buy 100' of it and it costs a lot more.

aug0211

LOL!! The problem is the welt I'm using has no adhesive - it sits in the gap by compression alone and I'm not sure if what I got has enough resilience to stay put under constant use at highway speeds. There are other welts of different thicknesses I was considering using instead but you'd be required to buy 100' of it and it costs a lot more.

Eek, that’s a bummer. Maybe I’ll keep an eye open around local places and see if I can’t find something to try (and report back findings).

BillArnett

... There are other welts of different thicknesses I was considering using instead but you'd be required to buy 100' of it and it costs a lot more.

Sounds like a business opportunity: buy 100 ft of it, cut it into the right lengths and sell them separately. You make a profit and everyone else saves money.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a business opportunity: buy 100 ft of it, cut it into the right lengths and sell them separately. You make a profit and everyone else saves money.

LOL!! Well, if this stuff doesn't work, I may have to consider it. So far, it seems to be holding up and it only costs $15 :yup:

I could definitely use something to fill the gaps. After 1 trail yesterday mine are full of mud and tiny stones.

Hope to have a video of it and all the info you need by next week.