Hydro steering needed for JL?

Resqnu

I currently have a 2018 JL Rubicon Unlimted with 3.5” lift, 37” Cooper SST Pros and Raceline Beadlocks. I’m very happy with the set up. I don’t really have any issues with the steering, but looking into upgrading to the Synergy tie rod and drag link as I have the Synergy trackbar. And sector brace. The only steering issue I have is while off roading, the steering can be very hard to too impossible to turn while fully locked and aired down. Most of the time, I can plan to unlock the front for better steering, but there are times I need to be fully locked and turn. Is installing hydro assist the only option, or am I doing something wrong? I live in Colorado and wheel in Colorado and Moab currently. Making a trip to the Rubicon later this year. Any input would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JLRay

I may be wrong on this but as far as I know PSC is the way to go when dealing with steering problems and larger tires.

tjeeper

It is completely normal to not being able to steer when locked in front. That is why we have selectable lockers. Back in the day (before Rubicons) one popular setup was selectable up front, auto locker in the rear. In the snow, I preferred selectables front and rear.

If you want to take it to the next level, hydro assist, or for that matter full hydro is an option. It is a lot of work. Steering pump, steering box, cooler, ram etc. Then there is the trackball mount, balljoints, aluminum knuckles, all of which might be suspect with hydro steering.

It is much easier to turn off the front locker. Plan in advance when you need it on an obstacle, when you can turn it off to steer, and back on for the next line. If you are running the type of trails that where you need to be locked front and rear the whole time, I would suggest skipping the stock axle and go straight to 60s and 40 inch tires.

Resqnu

Thanks for the input. Most of the trails where I have experienced the issue was only a few spots on the trail. I was thinking if I planned better, I could have just unlocked the front for the steering. Still a little new at the tougher stuff. Didn’t really want to upgrade to the full hydro steering due to the possible breaking of the stock parts mentioned.

RLW007

Hydro Assist

I have the same setup with all synergy up front. I installed a Red Neck ram assist on mine and could not be happier. It drives great on the road and with front lockers on in the dirt. I turned the electrical pump off with my Tazer and the steering is awesome at highway speeds.

RhinoJLU

I have the same setup with all synergy up front. I installed a Red Neck ram assist on mine and could not be happier. It drives great on the road and with front lockers on in the dirt. I turned the electrical pump off with my Tazer and the steering is awesome at highway speeds.

If you don’t mind me asking why would you turn the pump off?

Jeeeep

I thought the electric assist steering would do a lot better with the front lockers but I'm wondering if it doesn't get turned off when in 4LO.

I have hydro assist on my JK and sure missed it on a few of the trails at EJS recently. Makes turning with lockers on a breeze.

While ram assist is not necessary on a daily driver, if you're running larger tires and plan to wheel often where lockers are used, I'd say it's worth the cost.