How much offload/rock-crawling impact will a rack and rooftop tent have?

cliff538

You guys that have been off-roading and rock crawling for years I need your opinions and what you have seen out there...

How much impact will a roof rack and roof top tent have on my ability to do rock crawling trails say in Colorado and the Moab trails? I don't mean Carnage Canyon or anything, that seems pretty obvious but how many trails in Colorado/Moab where you could camp out on top that you'd be crazy to have a roof rack and roof top tent?

Right now roof racks are pretty limited for the JL. The best seems to be the Rhino Backbone for size and weight but they are projected 4-6 months away. The Gobi is out right now but is all steel and pretty heavy. The roof top tent is an iKamper that weights 155 pounds.

So, picture a JL with a Gobi rack and a 155 pound iKamper on top how many trails do you think I won't be able to go on? Do you see many folks with roof racks all loaded up on the rock crawling trails? Foolish? End up rolled up on your side or flipped over backwards?

It won't be on all the time but we do want to get back into the mountains and do some camping. I just don't know how much impact it will have. Would it be foolish to go to Moab with it on? Better to take a teardrop style camper park it and wheel the jeep sans all the roof top crap? Or just plan on using a ground tent and keeping the roof clear?

The jeep will pretty much be lifted/outfitted like Eddie and Cindy's right now. 2.5" EVO lift so trying to keep the Center of Gravity low, 37" STT Pros.

Don't have my jeep yet but deep into the planning stages. I have sitting in the garage or on order, rims, tires, winch, and winch mount plate. Still waiting on lift to see how much the EVO coilover package is going to be... would love to have that installed but unfortunately there is a budget. May just go with the EVO budget boost right now and add on coils, shocks, etc later as they come out from EVO.

Let me have it guys, I really appreciate your opinions on this!

Cliff

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the TJ days, I used to run a roof rack but only because it was the only way I could carry our family, dog and all our gear with us. I HATED IT on the rocks. Our center of gravity was always way off and while it could be done, it pretty much sucked. The 4-door JK changed all that being that I could now carry everything I needed inside my Jeep. If anything, I've gone to great lengths to lighten up my load and even run half doors or go doorless just to help keep my COG down. If you have a 4-door, I'd highly recommend AGAINST a roof rack when rock crawling.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I don’t like the looks of the Gobi and can’t see needing a rooftop on a trail that I would actually be wheeling on.

I have thought about buy a hardtop and a rooftop tent for my JK to run in the winter when I go out to the desert just for ease of setting up camp. Maybe someday it’ll happen but I haven’t done it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

cliff538

Thank you guys for the insight. :thumb:

It really appears the two worlds are vastly different, Rock Crawling and Overlanding. I see the need to be able to transition to both. I'm leaning toward the Rhino Backbone, it's small, aluminum, and very lightweight. I can't imagine it all alone causing too many issues. The big drawback I've heard some say is the drilling into your hardtop. I grew up on fishing boats and don't have any fears of drilling into fiberglass... we did it all the time and never had leaks. Then when the wife and I are camping we can throw the iKamper up there and for Rock Crawling trips I can remove it and only have the Rhino on top and just use a ground tent.

The research continues... I have way too much time on my hands not having my Jeep, LOL. My KMC wheels are 2 weeks out, Discount Tire called and said they had to drill more. I'm looking forward with the help of Eddie's video on building up my wheel/tires. Yesterday got the Warn winch plate for the Mopar Steel front bumper. Lots of projects to come.

Cheers!

mac214

Subscribing as I have been working on the initial planning with the exact same requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cliff538

Subscribing as I have been working on the initial planning with the exact same requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be sure to come back and post what I do and how it's working... hopefully we can find a good system that covers both worlds.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is your main reason for wanting a roof rack is so that you can put a roof top tent on it?

cliff538

Is your main reason for wanting a roof rack is so that you can put a roof top tent on it?

Yes, it's about the only reason for a roof rack. I'm fine with ground camping but my wife refuses to sleep on the ground in basically anywhere that has bears, LOL. Now, I know the absurdity in that... it's female logic and I've been married long enough to know not to fight it. So, if I want my wife camping with me out in the boondocks with the Jeep I gotta have her off the ground. Normally we are in a camper van so the jeep will be new to her.

So, the roof top tent will just go off/on as needed when she's with me on multi-day trips. Every Aug/Sept timeframe we do a couple off 10-15 day road trips just exploring all over camping and hiking. We have a couple of foldable kayaks that we can put on our backs that we take along and are always looking for mountain lakes, etc.

The wifey wont do serious rock crawling with me anyway, so on those trips it will just be me and I can sleep inside the jeep or use a ground tent.

Brute

I have a Rhino Backbone on a JKU, and had a rooftop (James Baroud) on top while running the Rubicon for the first time...while that setup is great for camping, it's not so great for crawling over rocks or off camber situations...next time I ran the Rubicon (in a different rig), I packed everything to have as low a cog as I could...a lot less swaying and suspension rebound...

JTCO

Meme King
When I first got my WJ, I didn't have a tire carrier and went to larger tires (32s). I kept my spare up on the roof. I never thought anything of it until I took it off. I was shocked that I could actually feel the difference, quite a bit less tippy-feeling. It was only about 60-65 pounds up there, but it was quite noticeable once it was gone.

cliff538

I have a Rhino Backbone on a JKU, and had a rooftop (James Baroud) on top while running the Rubicon for the first time...while that setup is great for camping, it's not so great for crawling over rocks or off camber situations...next time I ran the Rubicon (in a different rig), I packed everything to have as low a cog as I could...a lot less swaying and suspension rebound...

When I first got my WJ, I didn't have a tire carrier and went to larger tires (32s). I kept my spare up on the roof. I never thought anything of it until I took it off. I was shocked that I could actually feel the difference, quite a bit less tippy-feeling. It was only about 60-65 pounds up there, but it was quite noticeable once it was gone.

Thank you guys for your experience's! I'm going to have to tweak my plans... everybody is saving me from some FNG mistakes :thumb:

One thing you might try is getting an offroad trailer. They have higher ground clearance and usually are smallish, but should carry most of what you need for camping. Then you can do moderate trails to the campsite, setup camp, and the go rock crawling without having a bunch of gear with you.

This can also provide you a place to hang your doors, so you can have them on the highway but still travel with them offroad. I also feel that it is easier to secure a trailer from people meddling with it than it is to secure a tent.

I don't have any experience with this, but it is something I have considered.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One thing you might try is getting an offroad trailer. They have higher ground clearance and usually are smallish, but should carry most of what you need for camping. Then you can do moderate trails to the campsite, setup camp, and the go rock crawling without having a bunch of gear with you.

This can also provide you a place to hang your doors, so you can have them on the highway but still travel with them offroad. I also feel that it is easier to secure a trailer from people meddling with it than it is to secure a tent.

A trailer would be the way I'd go if anything but they sure are pricey.

cliff538

A trailer would be the way I'd go if anything but they sure are pricey.

I agree with you and have looked at them. Pricey is the word.... ugh. It would be an awesome way to go. I've been shopping the used market some. If wifey loves the jeep trips may just have to bit the bullet and sell the camper van that would buy a nice off-road camper.