Fuse keeps blowing

Canuck

2018 Wrangler Rubi, 64,000 km (40,000 miles). Fuse F40 (DriveTrain Control Module (DTCM)/Axle Lock (AXLE LOC) FT_RR) keeps blowing. Sometimes every couple weeks, sometimes more often. Often when on bumpy road. Lockers flash, message alternates between "sway bar unavailable" and "service 4wd", and drive indicator doesn't light. Won't engage into 4wd. Nothing else in the car is affected.

Does this sound like a short, or is it likely the entire drivetrain module will have to be replaced? How can I be sure the dealer won't just automatically opt for whatever is more expensive (the eternal question)?

JTCO

Meme King
I would check the locker wiring and abs sensor wiring to make sure connections are tight and wiring isn't rubbing on anything. Intermittent shorts like that are usually a wiring issue.

Typically if the module is the issue the fuse will blow all the time because it's a constant failure. Whereas intermittent shorts that come and go is only when the wiring rubs under certain conditions.

Canuck

Thanks JTCO. Gives me hope and some info that will be useful in my discussions with the stealorship. I think Chrysler’s position is that the 100K drivetrain warranty doesn’t cover electronics, even when electronic failure results in failure of the drivetrain. My view is that anything that interferes with getting power to the wheels should be covered.