Front drive shaft loose

oneadam12

Hello all! I am looking for some help in determining what is wrong with my front driveshaft. It’s has a lot of play where it mounts to the differential. I’m hoping it just a blown out seal, but I don’t have any experience with the internal parts within the differential. I’ve heard that it could be bad bearings and worse. But I did drain the fluid and only found one very small sliver of metal, so I’m feeling like the gears are fine and hopefully just need a seal replaced. I wish this site would allow me to post a video because a picture won’t help much. All I can say is the shaft flange at the diff moves about 1/8” and is leaking fluid. It doesn’t seem to be leaking a large amount, but it is wet all around that area. Please let me know what you all think. Thank you, Adam

oneadam12

There should not be any play in the shaft. Sounds like more than a seal.
Thank you for the response. I totally agree that I shouldn’t have any play. But I didn’t have any chunks or slivers of gears…except for the one very small one. Are you thinking bearings? Or is it hard to say unless the differential is opened up and gages put on everything?

JTCO

Meme King
Up and down play? Like it rocks back and forth or up and down? Or rotational play as you turn the shaft back and forth?

drhcobra

If your pinion shaft has play I would think it would be bearings. Gonna have to tear into it. If you aren't mechanically inclined I would have a trusted shop look at it

oneadam12

If your pinion shaft has play I would think it would be bearings. Gonna have to tear into it. If you aren't mechanically inclined I would have a trusted shop look at it
Thank you, I will look into that. Was hoping to just drop the drive shaft and replace the seal and not have to open the diff. But I know it would be better to inspect everything…