First oil change.....

STROMBECK

So decided to do my first oil change at 1284 miles. For most people this seems a bit overkill. However upon inspection of the oil filter found some metal shavings. I fully realize this is totally normal for a new motor during the break in period. I’ll do the next one at 3000 miles and let you know if I find the same in the filter or if there is less. In my opinion the cheapest easiest thing you can to for longevity of a car. For about 32.00 and 20 minutes of my time a little peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

YAHAHA

True.

And the oil change is much easier and cleaner with the cartridge filter at the top of the engine. I just did ours yesterday and was thrilled with how quick and easy it was.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

STROMBECK

True.

And the oil change is much easier and cleaner with the cartridge filter at the top of the engine. I just did ours yesterday and was thrilled with how quick and easy it was.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

Yes it is simple. Love the fax that it’s 5 quarts not 5.25 5.5 5.75 like every other car I’ve ever owned.

I did my first at 2000 miles and had Blackstone Labs do a used oil analysis. It came back good. Sure, it had elevated wear metals and silicone, but that's normal. They weren't as high as I thought they'd be, and the oil itself was in good shape, showing no shearing. It was still in the 20 weight range. I went to Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w20 for the next run, and just changed it out after about 3275 miles. I sent a sample to Blackstone for another analysis. I didn't see any shavings in the oil filters either time, but I didn't look with a microscope, either. I filled it with Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0w20 and will run it until early October, no matter what the mileage. I suspect it will have 5k or so on it by then, maybe a little more. I'd run it until the oil life monitor says to change it, except that I'm going to Moab and want a fresh oil change before I go.

I'll share the next oil analysis result when it comes. It may be interesting. I pulled the filter before capturing the sample, so it is possible that some crap came off of it and drained into the sump. It will still have elevated wear metals, either way. I expect that until about the 4th oil change, or 20k miles. It should be fully broken in and flushed out by then, and will have settled into it's pattern for the long haul.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I did my first at 2000 miles and had Blackstone Labs do a used oil analysis. It came back good. Sure, it had elevated wear metals and silicone, but that's normal. They weren't as high as I thought they'd be, and the oil itself was in good shape, showing no shearing. It was still in the 20 weight range. I went to Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w20 for the next run, and just changed it out after about 3275 miles. I sent a sample to Blackstone for another analysis. I didn't see any shavings in the oil filters either time, but I didn't look with a microscope, either. I filled it with Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0w20 and will run it until early October, no matter what the mileage. I suspect it will have 5k or so on it by then, maybe a little more. I'd run it until the oil life monitor says to change it, except that I'm going to Moab and want a fresh oil change before I go.

I'll share the next oil analysis result when it comes. It may be interesting. I pulled the filter before capturing the sample, so it is possible that some crap came off of it and drained into the sump. It will still have elevated wear metals, either way. I expect that until about the 4th oil change, or 20k miles. It should be fully broken in and flushed out by then, and will have settled into it's pattern for the long haul.

You like to waste money huh?

You like to waste money huh?

Well, I spent $50k on this Jeep, with more going down the hole all the time, so what's a few bucks? If I ever sell it, which I don't plan to do, you'd feel fortunate to buy it after it's been cared for the way my Jeeps are. My JK is at 124k and runs like new. When it hits 300k, tell me if I've wasted my money.

Gimme a list of everything you've dropped 50 bucks on in the last few months and we'll compare how we waste money. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't eat out much. I just buy Jeeps and oil. Oh yeah, and ammo. :D

STROMBECK

Well, I spent $50k on this Jeep, with more going down the hole all the time, so what's a few bucks? If I ever sell it, which I don't plan to do, you'd feel fortunate to buy it after it's been cared for the way my Jeeps are. My JK is at 124k and runs like new. When it hits 300k, tell me if I've wasted my money.

Gimme a list of everything you've dropped 50 bucks on in the last few months and we'll compare how we waste money. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't eat out much. I just buy Jeeps and oil. Oh yeah, and ammo. :D

[emoji106]