Did I build the aftermarket backup lights wiring harness correctly? Help!?

Jeep4Life

Hey everyone,

I have my Smittybilt XRC Gen2 rear bumper coming in next week and I thought I'd get ahead of the game and build my wiring harness for the rear bumper backup lights. I've researched how to build a wiring harness, but as I'm new to wiring (and soldering.......OMG I had to practice a lot to become even a little bit better at soldering lol) I want to make sure I've built the harness correctly - which I'm looking for feedback from you!!! I built the wiring harness for a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited that has the four OE aux switch option built in.

The pictures I've included in this post, of the harness I've built, provides two capabilities. One - the aftermarket lights will turn on automatically with the backup lights, when I'm backing up. Two - I can use aux switch three (four is already used) to turn on the lights whenever I want.

My wiring harness includes a SPDT relay, diodes and an in-line fuse (5 AMP).

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and feedback - particularly if the wiring is correct/incorrect; and if you have any thoughts on making my wiring harness even better, please let me know!!!

Cheers!

1 wiring - T Connection.jpg2 wiring - T Connection w Diodes.jpg3 wiring - full backup lights wiring harness.jpg

Sea Serpent

At a glance it looks like it should work. Will the Jeep be happy with it? Shouldn't be an issue. Most of these diodes have very small reverse currents (~.00001A) that shouldn't cause any issues with the picky modern electronics in our Jeeps. I would bench test it before attaching to anything though. Just my thoughts.

Also, I had been throwing another idea around to use an SCR or a MOSFET instead of a relay. Not sure if it would work though. Might build something on a breadboard and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Jeff M

I installed Baja s2 in my rear bumper the other day and used Aux 3 switch. The can bus didn’t mind these lights. I didn’t want the lights to come on everytime I put the vehicle it reverse. I rather turn them on at a campsite for lighting. The black wires went to ground near the bumper and frame and a single red wire to the aux wire next to the battery.