Caster question

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
7 caster? That would be impossible, as if I'm correct, the JL has 6 caster.

Actually, that is not correct. For some reason, each JL has a different amount of caster and they are as follows.

Sports have 5.35° +/-
Saharas have 5.05° +/-
Rubicons have 4.80° +/-

Deezus

Actually, that is not correct. For some reason, each JL has a different amount of caster and they are as follows.

Sports have 5.35° +/-
Saharas have 5.05° +/-
Rubicons have 4.80° +/-
Thanks. What I meant was max caster. If not six what is it I'd like to know?
Meaning *6 caster = 0* pinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. What I meant was max caster. If not six what is it I'd like to know?
Meaning *6 caster = 0* pinion.

Depends on how much adjustment you have in your control arms. You can set quite a bit if you really wanted but there are consequences to having too much.

Deezus

Depends on how much adjustment you have in your control arms. You can set quite a bit if you really wanted but there are consequences to having too much.
I thought, and this is coming from a JK, that higher caster = good handling and bad for the DS. Has that changed with the JL and if so how?
Thanks.

Deezus

I have mine set at 5.8 and it handles great. Might be on the higher side but the angles on the driveshaft look pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
If JLs are have the same max caster as the JKs then you would be running your front pinion at. 2.
On the JK this would likely give you vibrations and could be bad for your transfer case. Maybe because of the Fad on the JL this isn't an issue anymore.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe because of the Fad on the JL this isn't an issue anymore.

This ^^^

Unlike the JK that had the front drive shaft spinning all the time, you technically shouldn't be running more than 4° of caster. Axles like ProRocks come with 6° of caster built into them. The FAD keeps the front shaft from spinning and therefore, things like vibrations when running a higher gear ratio isn't as much of a problem.

Deezus

This ^^^

Unlike the JK that had the front drive shaft spinning all the time, you technically shouldn't be running more than 4° of caster. Axles like ProRocks come with 6° of caster built into them. The FAD keeps the front shaft from spinning and therefore, things like vibrations when running a higher gear ratio isn't as much of a problem.
So in turn you could run a higher lift as well?
Ty

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So in turn you could run a higher lift as well?
Ty

I wouldn't. At least, I prefer to run big tires on a Jeep with a nice low stance. Also, one of the consequences of too much caster or too much lift or should I say, too much droop is driveline bind. Trust me, this is something I have to deal with.

Deezus

I wouldn't. At least, I prefer to run big tires on a Jeep with a nice low stance. Also, one of the consequences of too much caster or too much lift or should I say, too much droop is driveline bind. Trust me, this is something I have to deal with.
Is that with a stock DS? And on 37s too much lift doesn't look good. I don't plan on running more than 4".

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is that with a stock DS? And on 37s too much lift doesn't look good. I don't plan on running more than 4".

It's not so much the amount of lift you have but the amount of droop or at least when it comes to driveline bind. The problem you'll see with the factory shaft when running a 3" lift or taller is that the boot on the rzeppa joint will be running in a constant state of pinch. If you wheel a lot, that will aggravate it even more and to the point of failure sooner than later.

Deezus

It's not so much the amount of lift you have but the amount of droop or at least when it comes to driveline bind. The problem you'll see with the factory shaft when running a 3" lift or taller is that the boot on the rzeppa joint will be running in a constant state of pinch. If you wheel a lot, that will aggravate it even more and to the point of failure sooner than later.
Yea I g ad aftermarket shafts last time. This time I'll do a front one only until rear fails or gets hit too much.
I just noticed my steering stabilizer has been hit.... A lot!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea I g ad aftermarket shafts last time. This time I'll do a front one only until rear fails or gets hit too much.
I just noticed my steering stabilizer has been hit.... A lot!

On a 4-door, the rear shaft really is all you need or at least, until you trash it to the point of no return.

Jesse_01

I was aiming for 6*. I had jacked the front up a with my upper control arms off to rotate my diff until it read 6*. When I put everything back together & sat it down, it read 7*. We had somewhere to go so I said f it, good for now lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was aiming for 6*. I had jacked the front up a with my upper control arms off to rotate my diff until it read 6*. When I put everything back together & sat it down, it read 7*. We had somewhere to go so I said f it, good for now lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If i recall , I think metalcloak told me
To put 7 into my JK with about 4 inches of lift. But thats cause my rig was annoyingly pulling right. I dont think the JL has as much of an inertia pull being axles are disco’d on the highway now.