AUTO STOP- Possible Permanent Delay Function Setting

GrayBeard

I must clarify first, I haven't been able to verify this information yet, as my JLUR has not arrived as of yet. But thought I would pass this on and possibly someone could check it out and verify this.

I was told that built into the in-dash screen (at least the 8.4 screen) is a icon system similar to a cell phone. If you scroll thru, there should be something related to settings and then Auto Stop. If you click on the Auto Stop it will take you to a screen where you can adjust how fast the Auto Stop turns off when you stop in traffic. I was told, you can set the delay up to 10 minutes or possibly longer. When you use this process it's suppose to be a permanent setting until you change it manually again, unlike the Auto Stop by-pass button on the dash which has to be reset every time you start the car, if you which to by-pass the Auto Stop function. I would think this would be of particular usefulness in stop and go traffic and off roading.

I hope this information is true, but again, I haven't been able to verify this information, but will look further into it myself upon the arrival of my JLUR in a couple of weeks, maybe sooner. My tentative JLUR ship date is 02-12-18 :beer:

If someone verifies this before me, please post up , Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll give this a look and see whether or not it can really be done. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a tow package you can add a tow hitch brake light that will disable the start stop, it will assume you are towing.

I've heard people doing this on other trucks. Can't see why it wouldn't work on a Jeep too.

JL2018

Please let know if that works. Don't have mine yet, but have been all over the net looking for a way to disable it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Please let know if that works. Don't have mine yet, but have been all over the net looking for a way to disable it.

You bet! Just picked something up last night and will be testing it today. We'll be sure to post up and include the results in an upcoming episode of the JL Journal :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just an update, I picked up a hitch brake light, tested it out and... it didn't do squat. :rolleyes2:

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The auto stop is a little annoying but as long as you remember to turn it off right when you get in you don’t have to worry about it. That’s what my stepdad does in his f150

RMC2

I was given a compact prius on a trip to Ft Bragg. I couldn't get used to the engine shutting off when I stopped. It is a little different because you start on the battery, but it drove me nuts.

I swear that car was trying to kill me.

JIMBOX

:D The console pushbutton will disable EACH TIME with new ignition and if you insert a 7-pin trailer plug in the trailer 7-pin socket--that works in OTHER VEHICLES !

I've been contacted by a company that will produce a "START/STOP" module you plug into the OBD11 and it will disable the START/STOP as long as you want--

I'm awaiting an email, then I'll notify !

whatever

:thumb: JIMBO

Switch-Pros

Advertiser
Supporter
If you disconnect the drivers side hood closed sensor, it will disable the auto start-stop. There are two sensors next to each other, its the right one when standing in front of the engine.
The connector is plugged into the end of the sensor. You have to bend out two little tabs to release the connector.
Disconnecting the drivers side one will still allow the remote start function.
You will get a little warning light on the dash, but it doesn't bother me.
You will also get a message upon starting the vehicle but that goes away after a few seconds.

I've been driving it for a few days now with no issues and no annoying auto start-stop, because most of the time I would forget to manually turn it off.
I have not tried the 4WD but I don't see anything changing there.

Hope that helps! A free fix!

Robert

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
If you disconnect the drivers side hood closed sensor, it will disable the auto start-stop. There are two sensors next to each other, its the right one when standing in front of the engine.
The connector is plugged into the end of the sensor. You have to bend out two little tabs to release the connector.
You will also get a message upon starting the vehicle but that goes away after a few seconds.

I've been driving it for a few days now with no issues and no annoying auto start-stop, because most of the time I would forget to manually turn it off.

Robert

I’d rather switch it off each time, than have a warning light.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Robert

WOW!! That's awesome that you were able to find this out. I'm sure there will be more than a few people who'll want to do this. Thanks for posting up the info.

JAGS

I have to admit, I'm kind of disappointed. As much as we're trying to get used to the auto stop start system, it's just starting to drive me batty.

It would be ok if it actually worked every time. Not sure about you, but mine only functions about 60% of the time.

Sometimes I’ll come to complete stop. Be at a signal for a while and the engine is still going. Other times it “works”

The most annoying thing is when I go to park. It will turn off. Then when I go to put the engine from drive to park, it will start back up. That’s just stupid.