3.6 or Turbo

Wrangler-Joe

3.6 & 8 speed

My new JL is the 4th new Wrangler I have owned. This Jeep has the 3.6L with the 8 speed transmission. As far as I'm concerned this is a perfect match. I'm just back from a 5600 mile trip to Southwest Texas where we drove several hundred miles of Jeep roads. I could not be more pleased with the on-road and off-road performance. Our fuel mileage for the trip from NH to Texas and back was a low of 22+ and a high of 24+ with the average in the mid 23+ MPG. I drove mostly Interstate or equivalent roads so my speeds were 65 to 75, with 80 MPH in parts of Texas. Can the 2L do much better than this?

Happy JL Wrangler, Sierra owner.

Danny

I have the 2.0T Sport. It really is the only choice for me. Since I already have a Rubicon TJ. Really love the inline 2.0T. With Shell 93 octane this is what I'm getting. I've never had a Jeep get even 20 mpg, so for me it's nice.View attachment 10871

Sent from my SM-G930V using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
Mine does. But you have to use cruise from 60 to 65. Giving more time for acceleration. Best mileage I have gotten was with Shell 93. I have stockish tires which really helps. Ko2 265/70/17.

Danny

My new JL is the 4th new Wrangler I have owned. This Jeep has the 3.6L with the 8 speed transmission. As far as I'm concerned this is a perfect match. I'm just back from a 5600 mile trip to Southwest Texas where we drove several hundred miles of Jeep roads. I could not be more pleased with the on-road and off-road performance. Our fuel mileage for the trip from NH to Texas and back was a low of 22+ and a high of 24+ with the average in the mid 23+ MPG. I drove mostly Interstate or equivalent roads so my speeds were 65 to 75, with 80 MPH in parts of Texas. Can the 2L do much better than this?

It's interesting to see how many others who have had many Jeeps over the years. It's a good thing.

Sent from my SM-T550 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

SouthCo

I agree, the v6 3.6l and 8spd auto are a great match. Mine has plenty of power, it’s smooth and to my surprise is getting mid 20’s mpg (and it’s not my daily so I didn’t buy it worried about mpgs).....

JTCO

Meme King
After several beers, I just dropped into a Prius vs Jeep thread.... Yeah, no comparison. If anyone expected badass mpg from a jeep,they were lied to.

Grooster

Took the wife’s ‘16 Cherokee in for an warranty oil change and decided to look at used JKUs. Have been driving a GMC Sierra Crew Cab Z71 the past 6 years and wanted back into a Jeep. Ended up driving several ‘16 JKUs then looked at a ‘19 Sahara with the 2.0 Turbo. Figured you only live once and brought the Sahara home. Glad I did! Just watch a few of the You Tube videos about dyno testing the 3.6 and the 2.0 - great numbers and they have the same towing rating, too.

Absolutely love the 2.0 - excellent gas mileage and performance. Sure, it’s got an agricultural sound to it. But then so did all the earlier 4 and 6 cylinder Jeeps. I bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty just in case. I can always go Hemi after the warranty is up or just trade it off for a Rubicon or Gladiator later.

I’ve tried both Premium and Unleaded and the 2.0 is happy either way. Considering that I’m getting 23+ mpg vs the 15 I got with the GMC and I’m a happy guy. Looking forward to seeing what upgrades for the 2.0 will be available. I’m good with giving this “mild hybrid” motor a chance.

Danny

Took the wife’s ‘16 Cherokee in for an warranty oil change and decided to look at used JKUs. Have been driving a GMC Sierra Crew Cab Z71 the past 6 years and wanted back into a Jeep. Ended up driving several ‘16 JKUs then looked at a ‘19 Sahara with the 2.0 Turbo. Figured you only live once and brought the Sahara home. Glad I did! Just watch a few of the You Tube videos about dyno testing the 3.6 and the 2.0 - great numbers and they have the same towing rating, too.

Absolutely love the 2.0 - excellent gas mileage and performance. Sure, it’s got an agricultural sound to it. But then so did all the earlier 4 and 6 cylinder Jeeps. I bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty just in case. I can always go Hemi after the warranty is up or just trade it off for a Rubicon or Gladiator later.

I’ve tried both Premium and Unleaded and the 2.0 is happy either way. Considering that I’m getting 23+ mpg vs the 15 I got with the GMC and I’m a happy guy. Looking forward to seeing what upgrades for the 2.0 will be available. I’m good with giving this “mild hybrid” motor a chance.
I agree. Hemi would be the way to go. These guys already have done it.
https://youtu.be/3EwnJbLHgGs

techhnyne

What ever you do DO NOT get the Ripp . I had a ripp on my 3.6 and within 15k miles from brand new my jeep was experiencing issues that grew bigger. jeep was misfiring along with the supercharger leaking oil. I called ripp to get some help and they gave me the worst customer service experience ever. I live 5 mins away from their shop and I called too speak to the owner ross and see if they could possibly look over my vehicle to help me. I have been trying to reach out to them for help with issues for over 2 years, they all know who I am and where i live as i know where they live, we are practically fucking neighbors and they still refused to help me. I had less then 35k miles and my jeep had so many issues i had to ripp out the ripp and replace my block to get things working normally

Think twice before purchasing anything from those pricks

7tcu

I did not read all the answers so I hope this is not a repeat. With the turbo you do not get the horse power until you get the rpm's up so the 3.6 will give you more hp at the low ends. I have the turbo and have no trouble getting around.

Arod412

Newbie here..question about MPG in regards to these 2 engines.

Don't beat me up here..i know jeeps are not the most friendly SUV in regards to MPG. My wife will be getting rid of her 2012 ford escape (21-28 mpg), for a wrangler unlimited. She wants a wrangler for the off pavement trips...however she will drive more hyway miles then offroad miles.

So completely stock (for now...lol)...im looking for real life numbers comparing the the two gas engines, 2.0 turbo and the v6. What throws these numbers out of wack is the premium fuel. I personally think that for long term maintenance, v6 is the way to go.Screenshot_20200802-105008_Chrome.jpg

Dale72

Caught the Bug

Don't beat me up here..i know jeeps are not the most friendly SUV in regards to MPG. My wife will be getting rid of her 2012 ford escape (21-28 mpg), for a wrangler unlimited. She wants a wrangler for the off pavement trips...however she will drive more hyway miles then offroad miles.

So completely stock (for now...lol)...im looking for real life numbers comparing the the two gas engines, 2.0 turbo and the v6. What throws these numbers out of wack is the premium fuel. I personally think that for long term maintenance, v6 is the way to go.View attachment 15926
Hwy they are supposed to get the same mpg. But the 2.0 does better in the city than the 3.6

Sent from my SM-G973U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

WiscoHR

So completely stock (for now...lol)...im looking for real life numbers comparing the the two gas engines, 2.0 turbo and the v6. What throws these numbers out of wack is the premium fuel. I personally think that for long term maintenance, v6 is the way to go.View attachment 15926

Don’t forget the 2.0L recommends premium fuel of 91 octane or higher.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app