Alpine Speaker Rattle when talking

Hello - I had the same issue, and here is how I solved it.

I often listen to audio books, and the sound seems to be most prevalent when playing the human voice at certain low tones. If you are unfamiliar with the “Charlie Brown” teacher voice, here is a reference from YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04

After searching around the Internet, I found several solutions from fellow Jeepers and I selected the solution which seemed effective and least intrusive. And, I added one unique item to the solution I implemented. Again, credit for this fix goes to the other JL Jeepers who isolated the cause, and offered solutions and implementation tips.

There is a plug in connector directly above, and slightly in front of, the OBD2 interface port under the dash on the drivers side. This connector and/or module has a slight loose fit, and that loose fit inconveniently has a vibration resonance frequency which matches certain tones produced by the nearby speaker.

The solution is to eliminate the loose fit, and I selected the zip tie method I found in my searches for a fix. I also benefited from a suggestion to use a mirror to work under the dash rather than find a way to contort my head under there.

In the attached pic you can see my two zip tie fix implementation. I first firmly secured the cable going to the connectors with one zip tie attached to a metal under dash frame to prevent the cable from moving (my unique contribution). This is the zip tie closer to the shifter/center of the vehicle. The second zip tie applies some, but not too much, tension between the frame and the connector plug. The tension is just enough for the fix to remain snug, and eliminate the loose fit, without putting too much stress on the plug wires.

View attachment 9965

I had ZERO friggin idea what I was looking at until I realized it was a pink makeup mirror on the floor of the jeep looking up. This is awesome and I'm doing it in 5 minutes!

M151MUTT

Update

The rigid zip ties (green) eventually lost cable tension due to the vibration environment (and Ozzy's Boneyard on XM). I implemented a better fix by creating a small U shaped loop in the cable (yellow), inserting a small compressed roll of foam insulation (red), and then releasing that to expand within the loop. This fix, which solves the issue, will hopefully maintain a more constant and vibration resistant tension on the cable. Use "Blackened" by Metallica to test your fix.

Attachments

• CB2Annotated.jpg
    CB2Annotated.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 83

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
The rigid zip ties (green) eventually lost cable tension due to the vibration environment (and Ozzy's Boneyard on XM). I implemented a better fix by creating a small U shaped loop in the cable (yellow), inserting a small compressed roll of foam insulation (red), and then releasing that to expand within the loop. This fix, which solves the issue, will hopefully maintain a more constant and vibration resistant tension on the cable. Use "Blackened" by Metallica to test your fix.

You may be overthinking, or over engineering. All I did was wedge in a piece of folded up tape. Probably could have used a folded business card as well.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I have a patent pending on this fix...:cheesy:

Lol. Start advertising folded business cards as green / eco-friendly fully organic anti-rattle wedges for $19.99 (I was going to go with $9.99, but the more expensive something is the more people will desire it). Should sell at least half as well as grade-8 bolt upgrades and throttle body spacers.

EugenetheJeep

Lol. Start advertising folded business cards as green / eco-friendly fully organic anti-rattle wedges for $19.99 (I was going to go with $9.99, but the more expensive something is the more people will desire it). Should sell at least half as well as grade-8 bolt upgrades and throttle body spacers.
Just market it as the much needed Rattle Catch Can...at least this one would be useful as opposed to the "snake" oil one lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

M151MUTT

Offer a second one for "free," just pay shipping and handling.....