Where would you mount an ARB twin air compressor

JTCO

Meme King
I like the idea of hiding it in the underfloor spot but I worry that it might get too hot. Unless you remove the carpet above it when the compressor is running there would be no way for the heat to escape. Hard to say whether it would get too hot before all 4 tires are pumped up. It certainly would eventually. Maybe store a couple of liters of water in there, too; water has a very high heat capacity.

I’m mounting mine here. Only place I could find.

It does get hot after 4 tires. I would think if you installed some kind of shield behind it or even got creative with some chimney insulation, it would be fine if you kept the compartment open while airing up. The other thing to think about is how hot it stays when you're done using it. I built a custom bracket for my wj and it sits there on the wall of my cargo area out in the open. Used it a bunch with no issues, but it does get hot.

IMG_20161001_151423_444.jpg

Onlyone

It does get hot after 4 tires. I would think if you installed some kind of shield behind it or even got creative with some chimney insulation, it would be fine if you kept the compartment open while airing up. The other thing to think about is how hot it stays when you're done using it. I built a custom bracket for my wj and it sits there on the wall of my cargo area out in the open. Used it a bunch with no issues, but it does get hot.

View attachment 1249

I think I will just keep the lid open like you suggest. Your solution in your WJ seems the best, out in the open to cool off. Maybe I’ll find a solution like that instead. Hmmmm. Surely I could mount some sort of bracket on the opposite side of the subwoofer, in same area.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

No no I meant that there won’t be any detrimental issues with the compressor being hot, as they are designed to deal with a fair amount of heat before thermal shut down so I think that location is perfectly fine even with the cover on.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
I think I will just keep the lid open like you suggest. Your solution in your WJ seems the best, out in the open to cool off. Maybe I’ll find a solution like that instead. Hmmmm. Surely I could mount some sort of bracket on the opposite side of the subwoofer, in same area.

If you can do a little metal work, the possibilities are endless on where you could mount it. In this scenario, I ran 4 gauge wire all the way to the rear as an auxiliary power source. Compressor is easy to access at home to for bike tires, sports balls, etc.

NFRs2000NYC

If you can do a little metal work, the possibilities are endless on where you could mount it. In this scenario, I ran 4 gauge wire all the way to the rear as an auxiliary power source. Compressor is easy to access at home to for bike tires, sports balls, etc.

That’s actually a great idea, run a 4 gauge to a nice distribution block so you can have more accessories back there, and all of them could run on a switch pros panel.

Onlyone

Good idea. I might look into my old Bracket I had on my JK and see if I can “adjust it”. 4 gauge it shall be. Did you run it near the frame or in the cab back?

JTCO

Meme King
Good idea. I might look into my old Bracket I had on my JK and see if I can “adjust it”. 4 gauge it shall be. Did you run it near the frame or in the cab back?

All inside other than what's under the hood. I ran it under the driver's side door scuff trim. Terminal in the back is just a bolt and nut, lol. I did use a circuit breaker under the hood so that I can turn this entire system on and off whenever. Good luck. I'm anxious to see how you set this up if you decide to do it.

DSC03696.JPG

DSC03681.JPG

RMC2

The nice thing about under the hood or under the seat is that it takes up a lot less room in the cargo areas of your Jeep. But, there are benefits to having a portable unit especially if you're out on the trail and need to help someone else out. For this reason, I think that's the direction we'll be going in this time around.

I have shared my cheap portable, so that is a good point. I wonder if I can find a storage case that would fit under the passenger seat. Still take advantage of that spot, but keep it portable.

As far as the rear cubby idea, it would be buried under gear. If you don't open it up, you wouldn't get cooling air flow. Under the hood, is hot but you get airflow when the compressor is running.

Now the side mount idea from WJCO is a possibility, but keep gear pulled away when it is hot, or add a guard.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
The underfloor compartment in the back might be an interesting place to put the air compressor. I think I would rather keep recovery equipment there, though.

I am a little surprised Jeep didn't make an oem air compressor an option or a JPP add on. That seems like it would be a very popular option on the rubicon.

Recovery gear is best stored where it can be reached from the driver seat. I’ve seen it multiple times where guys store there winch controller in the back compartment. That’s great in the garage but pointless on the trail.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I have shared my cheap portable, so that is a good point. I wonder if I can find a storage case that would fit under the passenger seat. Still take advantage of that spot, but keep it portable.

As far as the rear cubby idea, it would be buried under gear. If you don't open it up, you wouldn't get cooling air flow. Under the hood, is hot but you get airflow when the compressor is running.

Now the side mount idea from WJCO is a possibility, but keep gear pulled away when it is hot, or add a guard.

Have you looked for a pelican style case? Might work best and protect it.

RMC2

Mountain Offroad (who made an underhood mount that looked pretty nice on the JK) says that they are planning on making one that fits in the spare tire mount area. That seems like a pretty good use for dead space, keeps it out of the cab and away from the engine.

Source (at 7:30): https://www.facebook.com/MountainOffRoad/videos/1574518639263797/

Seems like I did see that before. My concerns there are weather and theft the most, with this idea.

Apparently I'm not very agreeable on this topic. But thanks for sharing.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

BillArnett

tank?

When folks are talking about putting it under the passenger seat do they mean the front or rear seats in a JLU? I'm thinking it would be nicer under the back. Also, is there room for a tank under there?