The Movie Thread

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
(Netflix original)
Ethan Coen and Joel Coen brought us films the likes of No Country for Old Men, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, Barton Fink, O Brother Where Art Thou, Raising Arizona, etc, etc, etc. This movie is not for everybody, but if you love sick, dark, dry humor, then this will be some of the best 133 minutes you can see on Netflix right now.
A-

View attachment 7494

View attachment 7495

View attachment 7493

View attachment 7496

I agree. It probably isn’t for everyone, but I did enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I agree. It probably isn’t for everyone, but I did enjoy it.

All Gold Canyon with the prospector was my favorite storyline, but how about that rock drop off of the ledge in Meal Ticket? Holy crap, as soon as that happened... I kind of felt sick as I knew exactly what was coming next.

Also - for those wondering, the movie is comprised of six different fully encapsulated storylines set in the old west.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
All Gold Canyon with the prospector was my favorite storyline, but how about that rock drop off of the ledge in Meal Ticket? Holy crap, as soon as that happened... I kind of felt sick as I knew exactly what was coming next.

Also - for those wondering, the movie is comprised of six different fully encapsulated storylines set in the old west.

All Gold Canyon was my favorite, too.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
District 9
Just caught this on Netflix. Last time I saw this movie was in the theater in 2009. I had forgotten what a great sci-fi movie it is. Happy to report that it still holds up.
B+

district_nine_ver15_xlg-768x1119.jpg

district_nine_ver13_xlg-768x1141.jpg

JP223/3USA

District 9
Just caught this on Netflix. Last time I saw this movie was in the theater in 2009. I had forgotten what a great sci-fi movie it is. Happy to report that it still holds up.
B+

View attachment 7532

View attachment 7533

I was really hoping there would be a sequel. Im not sure what the reviews were but it did pretty good in box office. I find many sci-fi movies good even though they are considered flops.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I was really hoping there would be a sequel. Im not sure what the reviews were but it did pretty good in box office. I find many sci-fi movies good even though they are considered flops.

20181213_070851.jpg

Yeah, it really was set up for a sequel. I had completely forgotten about Christopher (alien) promising Wikus (human protagonist) that he would return in three years to find and cure him, albeit with alien reinforcements. It made a fair amount of money and was nominated for four Academy Awards, including best picture and best screenplay. As recently as 2017, the film's director Neill Blomkamp confirmed that a sequel "was in the works", but honestly it doesn't really mean a whole lot until principal photography begins.

Interestingly the film's producer Peter Jackson and director Neill Blomkamp were originally going to helm Halo, based on the video game. When the movie was squashed by the studio due to escalating budget, Jackson came up with the idea for District 9 in less than a day.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Not only is this the best animated film of the year, it's the best Spider-Man film ever made. The animation is unlike anything I've seen before. It's truly a comic book come to life. If Spider-Man is your jam, or if you have an interest in comic books, superheroes or animated movies then this is a must-see. My family and I saw it tonight, and we've got tickets to see it again tomorrow with several of our friends. This movie is in my top 5, and even possibly, my top 3 movies of 2018.
A

spiderman_into_the_spiderverse_xxlg-768x1138.jpg

spiderman_into_the_spiderverse_ver2_xxlg-768x1138.jpg

spiderman_into_the_spiderverse_ver15_xxlg-768x1090.jpg

Last edited:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
BumbleBee
My wife and daughter thoroughly enjoyed BumbleBee. I really wanted to like this movie, but found myself bored and lacking suspension of disbelief. Had my family not been there I probably would have left the theater. I must admit that I'm definitely in the minority, as this movie is doing very well with reviewers and audiences. Because of this disparity, I will include my family's score as well.
B+ (wife and daughter)
D (me)

bumblebee_xxlg-768x1137.jpg

bumblebee_ver2_xxlg-768x1123.jpg

bumblebee_ver4-768x1084.jpg

Jeeeep

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Not only is this the best animated film of the year, it's the best Spider-Man film ever made. The animation is unlike anything I've seen before. It's truly a comic book come to life. If Spider-Man is your jam, or if you have an interest in comic books, superheroes or animated movies then this is a must-see. My family and I saw it tonight, and we've got tickets to see it again tomorrow with several of our friends. This movie is in my top 5, and even possibly, my top 3 movies of 2018.
A

View attachment 7572

View attachment 7573

View attachment 7574

I completely agree, definitely worth watching more than once.

In my top 5 movies of the year :thumb::thumb:

Jeeeep

went to see Mary Poppins Returns with my daughter, she really liked it, I fell asleep.

It never grabbed my attention so I paid to have a good nap.