This is fogged up!

JeepFan

I think I found the reason my JL Wrangler rear defogger doesn't work. The rear defogger tab seems to have lost its grip on the heating element grid. Has anyone else run into this issue? Looks like there isn't enough solder on the connector. Looking forward to talking to my dealer about this! :crazyeyes:

20190112_091826.jpg

WiscoHR

I think I found the reason my JL Wrangler rear defogger doesn't work. The rear defogger tab seems to have lost its grip on the heating element grid. Has anyone else run into this issue? Looks like there isn't enough solder on the connector. Looking forward to talking to my dealer about this! :crazyeyes:

View attachment 8503

Mine looks exactly the same. Took it to the dealership about a month ago and they ordered me a new rear window. But of course they are on back order.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Yes, they will order a backordered rear window. I have read where some have had their claim denied by service departments who think that you have sanded the window in an attempt to repair yourself. If this happens, be sure to have them look at other JLs on the lot as they should all have that sanded appearance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's such a bummer to see poor quality like this. I would expect to see Jeep fix it but it's still something that you have to take time out of your day and who knows how long it will be before it can get fixed.

NFRs2000NYC

Been going on since the JK days. There is a lot of stress placed over the connector because of a poor design. A pre-emptive solution is to add more glue around the outside while the connector is still on the window. Supposedly, they are trying to change the connector out to keep the stress off of it, but as of now, they will just replace the rear window with the same exact connector, so it will happen again.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
See this daily on a lot of the gm vehicles. What WJCO posted is similar to the permatex one we use to resodor the tab back onto the rear window.

IMG_9992.jpg

Wranglerman

I am not sure I have even used mine once so maybe I need to turn it on and let it stay on to see if it pops off once heated, if I were to have an issue how long would it take to show up

CalSgt

Weird timing for this one... I just dropped my keys in the overnight box and left my jeep at the dealership 30 minutes ago for this same problem

JL_selena

View attachment 8503
Ima look at mine. It hasnt been working since about a month.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Billjacks

I went in to have both rear seat latches replaced. While in there they actually broke the tab on the rear defrost or maybe they thought they did?? Either way it took a week to get in. At least I got a free rental out of it

JeepFan

I went in to have both rear seat latches replaced. While in there they actually broke the tab on the rear defrost or maybe they thought they did?? Either way it took a week to get in. At least I got a free rental out of it

Ima look at mine. It hasnt been working since about a month.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Weird timing for this one... I just dropped my keys in the overnight box and left my jeep at the dealership 30 minutes ago for this same problem

Same issue on my last two Jeeps.

This problem is more common than I thought! Would love to hear about your dealer experience...

JeepFan

It's such a bummer to see poor quality like this. I would expect to see Jeep fix it but it's still something that you have to take time out of your day and who knows how long it will be before it can get fixed.

This ^^^ The tab breaking off is just another quality issue added to my long list of issues with the JL. The biggest issue is the dealer can't look at it for almost four weeks. "Who knows how long it will be before it can get fixed." :crazyeyes:

Oh well, it's still a fun vehicle to drive!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
This ^^^ The tab breaking off is just another quality issue added to my long list of issues with the JL. The biggest issue is the dealer can't look at it for almost four weeks. "Who knows how long it will be before it can get fixed." :crazyeyes:

Oh well, it's still a fun vehicle to drive!

I love them, but for damned near $50k, you’d think they’d be built a little better. Maybe it’s my age, that makes me think that’s a lot of money, but damn!

JeepFan

I know it's under warranty and you may not want to mess with it, but there is a kit out there that a local auto parts store carries. It works well.

https://www.jbtoolsales.com/loctite...f5MR83VZztDAR70kkm9Q5pBzYSd9uUBsaAphQEALw_wcB

See this daily on a lot of the gm vehicles. What WJCO posted is similar to the permatex one we use to resodor the tab back onto the rear window.

Thanks for the info. I may eventually have to go this route when the tab on the replacement glass breaks off. :doh:

JeepFan

Yes, they will order a backordered rear window. I have read where some have had their claim denied by service departments who think that you have sanded the window in an attempt to repair yourself. If this happens, be sure to have them look at other JLs on the lot as they should all have that sanded appearance.

LOL! Not surprised the part is on backorder. If they question the sanded look on the grid, I will definitely ask them to look at other JLs on the lot! Thanks for the tip! :thumb: