If you think saving the planet is nonsense then I wish you would move to another one

Should Bill Arnett shut up and leave?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

JTCO

Meme King
Two points. First, I'm in the same boat as you wrt my way of life. I would be very upset if I had to give up off-road travel. If I'm threatening anyone I'm threatening myself, too. But I don't think that's that case because...

Second, it's perfectly reasonable to think that an electric off-roader would be perfectly adequate if not greatly superior to a Jeep. See elsewhere on this thread. But perhaps wrenching on your Jeep is also an important part of your way of life (as it is for me)? I don't think an EV off-roader would be all that different in that respect. How often do you actually work on the engine/transmission? We could still have fun messing with the rest of it.

And third, off-roaders are a trivial part of the CO2 problem. It would be perfectly reasonable to make an exception to allow gas powered off-roaders at least while there's still a demand for them as EV off-roaders become available. This is America. No one is trying to take you Jeep away. Certainly not me. It may become a thing of the past just like your CJ but that's not so bad, is it? Lots of people thought the world was coming to an end when the JK replaced the TJ. But it actually came out OK. If something better comes along to replace the JL that'll be OK, too.

But you're OK with stealing money from everybody because the weather is changing, even if the majority of people believe human influence of the weather to be a fairly tale?

That's how this mess started.

ddays v2

Good lord, this guy still at it?

Did it ever occur to you that all of the areas on those maps that show where Tesla chargers ARE NOT, are the precise areas people in Jeeps LIKE to go to? :thinking:

JAGS

So I'm guessing your trip is: 120 miles to the trailhead, 60 miles of wheeling, and 120 miles back home; total 300 miles. Right? And then you doubled that to compensate for the fact that off-roading is less efficient. But that's not quite right. You only need to double the 60 off-road miles. So your equivalent range needed is 120 + 120 + 60*2 = 360. So if you believe Rivian's numbers you would get home with 40 miles to spare.

See above. But if don't believe that (and it is open to debate how much an EV off-roader would use in various kinds of terrain) you could still charge once during your lunch break without costing yourself much. If you do that whole 8+ hour trip without a break you're a tougher man than I.:yup:

We're not there yet but it's not as bad as you may think. Here's a map showing all the Tesla Superchargers (60% in 1/2 hr) in red and Tesla "destination chargers" (full charge in 5 or 6 hours) in black:

View attachment 9292

That's as of today; Tesla is building more as fast as they can get building permits. There are also a large and increasing number of non-Tesla high speed chargers:

View attachment 9293

In a pinch one can also charge at many campgrounds and RV parks. One can also get a 50% charge overnight almost anywhere there's electric power.

Is this as convenient as gasoline? No. Is it really much of a burden? No, again. The only real inconvenience is that it takes a bit of planning to find the chargers. But, of course, Tesla makes that easy by displaying them on the NAV screen in the car. Charging time is a bigger issue. (The power level of a gas pump is truly awesome.) But my experience has been that it is usually convenient to combine charging with another stop that I would have made anyway. Sometimes not. We're not there yet. But it's not as bad as you think.

You may seem smart in your own head. You should keep these thoughts there. You are missing the whole point of rebuttal to your posts.

BillArnett

The fact that you use Moab as an example when I said middle of the desert proves that you are an idiot. And you are talking about a vehicle that isn’t even in production and never will be in production. Go out to Nevada with gas stations that are 150+ miles apart and go wheeling and tell me it’s doable in your electric vehicle. Hell you can even take your Tesla on some of these roads. Your ass would die out there.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Here's a map of Nevada with a circle of radius 150 miles superimposed on it:

nev.jpg

Now show me where you can place the center of that circle so that there are no gas stations inside. OK, sometimes the roads don't go straight so pretend the circle is a little smaller. There's still no way you can be in Nevada and 150 miles from the nearest gas station. Or almost anywhere else in the USA (except for Alaska).

And if you look at the Supercharger map I posted earlier you'll see that there's no place in Nevada that more than 150 miles from a Supercharger, too. And Nevada is nearly the worst case example, only Montana and North Dakota (and Alaska) have less coverage.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Can you give an example of a place you think might be out of range?

Last edited:

TrailHunter

You may seem smart in your own head. You should keep these thoughts there. You are missing the whole point of rebuttal to your posts.

^^^ This... Seriously... Enjoy your Rivian. The Planet will thank you... or most likely... not give a shit. [emoji849]

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

View attachment 9296

Now show me where you can place the center of that circle so that there are no gas stations inside. OK, sometimes the roads don't go straight so pretend the circle is a little smaller. There's still no way you can be in Nevada and 150 miles from the nearest gas station. Or almost anywhere else in the USA (except for Alaska).

And if you look at the Supercharger map I posted earlier you'll see that there's no place in Nevada that more than 150 miles from a Supercharger, too. And Nevada is nearly the worst case example, only Montana and North Dakota (and Alaska) have less coverage.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Can you give an example of a place you think might be out of range?

Jesus fucking Christ. Not everything is cut and dry on paper like you seem to think. Some of us actually experience things in real life, like sex.

I guess this is a good photoshop though.

IMG_0053.JPG

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King

View attachment 9296

But you're OK with stealing money from everybody because the weather is changing, even if the majority of people believe human influence of the weather to be a fairly tale?

BillArnett

About 2/3 of Americans believe climate change is a serious problem and the nation needs to take action:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/consensus-emerges-climate-change-debate-n950646

The whole article is actually pretty interesting. It's all about the partisan divide, not the real issue. (As is the case in many other areas.)

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

JTCO

Meme King
About 2/3 of Americans believe climate change is a serious problem and the nation needs to take action:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/consensus-emerges-climate-change-debate-n950646

The whole article is actually pretty interesting. It's all about the partisan divide, not the real issue. (As is the case in many other areas.)

2/3s?

:cheesy: :cheesy:

Stealing is wrong. Theft is wrong. Financial rape is wrong. Are you seriously in favor of going into a restaurant, grabbing a baby, and boiling it in the back kitchen in order to further your 'carbon reduction' agenda?

There are certain things that are morally and ethically wrong and evil and stealing money from people in order to think you are changing the weather for the good is wrong and evil. Period.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer