Jlu rubi with 37s and a manual transmission

Nickagomez81

Howdy everyone, I used the search and couldn’t find what I’m looking for so I thought id ask. Im looking to get the JLU Rubi in a manual transmission, I will be putting 37s and would like to know if this pulls as good as everyone says the automatic does? All I seem to find is info on the auto.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

drhcobra

Was wondering about that myself. I sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think with the gear ratios if its ok for the auto it should be fine with the manual. Probably spend less time in 6th gear. I plan on doing the same, but it will probably be a few months before I get there.

arcticaaron

I’m running a manual JLUR with 37s. After installing the tires I thought it needed a regear immediately. Now after 2000 miles with the setup I’ve gotten used to it. I plan on regearing in the next few months because it should improve driveablility a lot (better pull on hills, 6th will be useable again, can idle slower in parking lots, etc). While I’d say the regear isn’t a necessity it will be a nice improvement. Right now I never use 6th and only use 5th above 65mph (if it’s flat).

I’d get the manual if that’s what you like and 37s. Try it for a while and regear in the future if you feel it’s worth it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Howdy everyone, I used the search and couldn’t find what I’m looking for so I thought id ask. Im looking to get the JLU Rubi in a manual transmission, I will be putting 37s and would like to know if this pulls as good as everyone says the automatic does? All I seem to find is info on the auto.

The gearing in the manual is better but ultimately, you're the one who'll be controlling which one to be in and when. From what I've been hearing, it's no 8-speed auto and a big part of why I didn't get one.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the input guys. I had 37s and a manual in my jku sport, i did however regear from the 321s to 488s. I only ask since it will have 410s and i dont know much about the new manual.

With 4.10's, I'll bet it feels decent with 37's. I would run it before kicking down any cash to upgrade.

monkeyofspice

I have a 2 door manual sport and run 35". 5 and 6 gears are not much help unless the road is flat and not much wind resistance. However I got 21.7 mpg in 4th gear 95% of the time on a 700 mile trip. My rpms stayed around 2400 at 75 mph. This much better than my 09 JK sport with a 4 speed auto.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

gonefirefighting

I have a couple thousand miles on my 6spd JLU with true 37" meats and really havent seen a need yet to crack open the diffs. My 6th gear is only used on the flats and works fine in the 18-20 mpg range and I still have a very nice crawl ratio in 4L. I will however swap out the gearing when I go to 40"s

aust249

I have a couple thousand miles on my 6spd JLU with true 37" meats and really havent seen a need yet to crack open the diffs. My 6th gear is only used on the flats and works fine in the 18-20 mpg range and I still have a very nice crawl ratio in 4L. I will however swap out the gearing when I go to 40"s

What’s your suspension and wheel/tire set up? Just brought my 6spd JLU home last week and am researching possibilities. Thanks.

OBJLU

Hi, I’m going to be doing the same and also have a MT,, any insights on how it performs off-road ?

GrayBeard

Hi, I’m going to be doing the same and also have a MT,, any insights on how it performs off-road ?
I can't speak on this manual tranny as I have an Automatic, but I have a JLUR with 37s and its awesome off road. So I must assume the MT is as good or better. I prefer the MTs, which I have driven for 40+ years of owning Jeeps, but my wanted to be able to drive the Jeep, so this is my 2nd Automatic Jeep.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

silverbullet88

Like others have said..see how you like the feel of the 4.10's and 37's. I went 5.13's for mine and it'll idle 2mph in 1st gear up a hill in traffic! Although 1st gear is officially a granny gear now lol. You'll be shifting before you even get close to crossing an intersection. I can let the clutch out without even tapping the gas in 1st starting off..its great.

OBJLU

Like others have said..see how you like the feel of the 4.10's and 37's. I went 5.13's for mine and it'll idle 2mph in 1st gear up a hill in traffic! Although 1st gear is officially a granny gear now lol. You'll be shifting before you even get close to crossing an intersection. I can let the clutch out without even tapping the gas in 1st starting off..its great.

What's MPG like compared to the 4.10, I was going to go with 4.88 but I'm thinking maybe 5.13 is the ticket.

silverbullet88

What's MPG like compared to the 4.10, I was going to go with 4.88 but I'm thinking maybe 5.13 is the ticket.

I actually went from 3.45's and 35's to 5.13's and 37's so I can't compare those. I get about 15mpg mix of city/ highway. Recently did a 700 mile road trip and got around 16mpg..for a portion of the trip. Mpg will go up a bit once summer gas is back.