Sure it's Bigger... but is it actually Better? DISSECTING the JL WRANGLER Front Axle

Lumberjack

Upgrade Time!

Yeah, I can tell you first hand that the FAD unit introduces a major weak point in the axle housing. Did not take much at all to break, right at the FAD unit. 6 JKs, 4 with stock axles, handled the same obstacle with ease. The size of the FAD hole is crazy. Half of the tube is opened up on the back side.

View attachment 8762View attachment 8763

I was in this group, we were all quite shocked by the break... Definitely weaker!

mtnbikr73

Thank you so much for posting up these pics. This is EXACTLY what I'm hoping to avoid out on the trail!

No problem. I'm just angry that Jeep isn't doing anything about this. Warranty was denied. They don't see any manufacturing issue with the new design. Can't really claim it on insurance, since the rates will sky rocket and there is a chance the claim would still get denied. Jeep should at least offer a FAD free design for the Rubicon model, since that one is supposedly designed to go off-road. Oh well...Sigh.
Dynatrac XD60s are on the way. They should be here at the end of the month.

JTCO

Meme King
No problem. I'm just angry that Jeep isn't doing anything about this. Warranty was denied. They don't see any manufacturing issue with the new design.

That's fucked up that Jeep wouldn't stand behind that. I work in warranty claims (not for Jeep) and I see both sides of claims all day long. I can see why they would fight from their side about their denial, however, that's a fucking cast part with low surface area on the long axle tube that is subject to flexing and forces that other cast parts on the vehicle are not. I can almost guarantee that we will see more of these breaks on BONE STOCK vehicles that aren't even used offroad at all.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was in this group, we were all quite shocked by the break... Definitely weaker!

Truth be told, I started seeing JK housing break about a year into it being released but with all the hype about the all new JL axle being beefed up and stronger, I was kinda hoping to see it do better. It's kind of a shame.

No problem. I'm just angry that Jeep isn't doing anything about this. Warranty was denied. They don't see any manufacturing issue with the new design. Can't really claim it on insurance, since the rates will sky rocket and there is a chance the claim would still get denied. Jeep should at least offer a FAD free design for the Rubicon model, since that one is supposedly designed to go off-road. Oh well...Sigh.
Dynatrac XD60s are on the way. They should be here at the end of the month.

Totally sucks but congrats to you on the XD60's. I so wish I could have gone that route but I've got future projects I need to budget for. Needless to say, I knew we'd be breaking our housing sooner than later and decided to upgrade to a PR44JL.

Be sure to post up pics of your JL once you get your XD60's installed. I'd love to drool over them :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's fucked up that Jeep wouldn't stand behind that. I work in warranty claims (not for Jeep) and I see both sides of claims all day long. I can see why they would fight from their side about their denial, however, that's a fucking cast part with low surface area on the long axle tube that is subject to flexing and forces that other cast parts on the vehicle are not. I can almost guarantee that we will see more of these breaks on BONE STOCK vehicles that aren't even used offroad at all.

I have a feeling you're right. Totally sucks to see breaks like this and so early on. It's a big part of why I would never want to buy another Dana for an "upgrade".

mtnbikr73

Yeah, no kidding. They denied it immediately. Told me "outside influence broke the axle, not a manufacturing defect". They told me that it didn't matter how it broke, if the Jeep was moving, it was not a manufacturing defect. LOL.

mtnbikr73

Truth be told, I started seeing JK housing break about a year into it being released but with all the hype about the all new JL axle being beefed up and stronger, I was kinda hoping to see it do better. It's kind of a shame.

Totally sucks but congrats to you on the XD60's. I so wish I could have gone that route but I've got future projects I need to budget for. Needless to say, I knew we'd be breaking our housing sooner than later and decided to upgrade to a PR44JL.

Be sure to post up pics of your JL once you get your XD60's installed. I'd love to drool over them :crazyeyes:

I hear ya! I planned on building out a junkyard 60/14 bolt for the JL (this is my wife's rig) like I'm doing for my JKU, but unfortunately, needed something sooner. I'll be sure to post up some pics once it's all done.

Rgk401

Man this is some good information but now I’m lost. Was really considering the factory d44 from a rubicon because I have the base sport 30 up front and 35 in the rear and was wanting to run a 37x12.5x17 but now I have to reconsider my opinions.

What are your thoughts on a Jl rubicon 44’s running 35x12.5x17 tires. I’d hate to invest $5000 into something only to fail and Jeep not warranty it.. shit this is stressful

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

mtnbikr73

Man this is some good information but now I’m lost. Was really considering the factory d44 from a rubicon because I have the base sport 30 up front and 35 in the rear and was wanting to run a 37x12.5x17 but now I have to reconsider my opinions.

What are your thoughts on a Jl rubicon 44’s running 35x12.5x17 tires. I’d hate to invest $5000 into something only to fail and Jeep not warranty it.. shit this is stressful

The size of the tires have no impact on this axle design weakness. If you come up on a ledge and hit it straight on, for example, the force of that approach will push the axle backwards and potentially break the axle. Really, correct me if I'm wrong, tire size will only come into play if you are traveling at a higher rate of speed where the rotational mass would be applied. If it were me, I'd invest in the Dynatrac ProRock 44. I've been running that axle on my JKU for years now, and it's solid.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

It really depends on how you use your Jeep. I see you're down in New Orleans and based on that and the fact that you're just wanting to run 35's, I'd just run what you've got. I'd be willing to bet it'll hold up just fine. While I did make the upgrade to a PR44JL, it was only because of the kind of wheeling I do and the breaks I've personally seen in the past.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The size of the tires have no impact on this axle design weakness. If you come up on a ledge and hit it straight on, for example, the force of that approach will push the axle backwards and potentially break the axle. Really, correct me if I'm wrong, tire size will only come into play if you are traveling at a higher rate of speed where the rotational mass would be applied. If it were me, I'd invest in the Dynatrac ProRock 44. I've been running that axle on my JKU for years now, and it's solid.

A Dynatrac ProRock 44 would definitely be the better way to go, especially over a Rubicon axle or Dana 44.

JTCO

Meme King
I’d hate to invest $5000 into something only to fail and Jeep not warranty it.. shit this is stressful

I don't know what the new Pro Rock costs yet, but if you're going to spend 5K on one axle, definitely get the ProRock if it's in that same price range. If it's anything like the JK, you may find that a ProRock will fit into your budget just fine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a few shots of what the ProRock 44JL looks like installed.

20190205184021-05570732-me.jpg

20190205184031-349da2d5-me.jpg

20190204201916-19c2c27a.jpg

Rgk401

I don't know what the new Pro Rock costs yet, but if you're going to spend 5K on one axle, definitely get the ProRock if it's in that same price range. If it's anything like the JK, you may find that a ProRock will fit into your budget just fine.

I think I’m going to stick with the 35’s and a 2.5’ lift kit. There is some confusion about what rear axle I have some say it a d44 some day it a d35. Iv looked on the build sheet and it doesn’t say.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They're so pretty when they're new. How does that steering stabilizer bracket secure? Welded or bolted on?

Dynatrac likes to design their standard products to work with factory components. That way, they can work with most other products being made. Needless to say, the PR44JL is made to accommodate the factory steering stabilizer bracket that's bolted on the axle.

With all that said, we've already got plans to upgrade our tie-rod and drag link with ones made by Synergy and then run their steering stabilizer relocation bracket.