CB Radio Installation

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone installed a CB yet? Just curious on location of the radio and the antenna.

I am considering the Cobra 75 and mounting it behind the glove box like the JK. Will that still work?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I've look really hard and haven't been able to find a good way to mount a full size CB in our JL or as of yet. A Cobra 75 should work out fine in the same way being that the control box is so small. Another good option I've used is a Midland 75

https://amzn.to/2KT60r7

You can remove the battery portion on the bottom and install the adapter that comes with it so that you can run it off the cig lighter/12 volt socket and it comes with a spliter to hook up a standard coax cable. Total size is about the same as the Cobra 75 only without the control box.

ocrejects

I've look really hard and haven't been able to find a good way to mount a full size CB in our JL or as of yet. A Cobra 75 should work out fine in the same way being that the control box is so small. Another good option I've used is a Midland 75

https://amzn.to/2KT60r7

You can remove the battery portion on the bottom and install the adapter that comes with it so that you can run it off the cig lighter/12 volt socket and it comes with a spliter to hook up a standard coax cable. Total size is about the same as the Cobra 75 only without the control box.

Hey on a sidenote does anybody know of any rock sliders that work as a step as well for the JLUR?

Here ya go. It is a Uniden, and it works VERY well. You can change the color on it, too, which is nice. I used a Cooltech antenna mount, and it gets a good ground and nice range. The Uniden comes with a mic extension, so I mounted the box under the passenger seat and have PLENTY of mic length. The flat spot on the dash is where Mark Allen intended a CB mic mount to be. Works great!

The Cobra 75 is heavier, and some say it causes the trim to pull back if you mount the mic there. The Uniden hand set is very light. Cooltech makes a mic mount that attaches to the bolt behind the trim, raising it a bit and giving it a rock solid mount, so you have that option as well. It also elevates it a few inches which might help you to hear it better. The antenna kit comes with the cable and a Firestick, too. Cooltech also offers a complete kit for about 210 bucks that includes a Cobra 75 and every single thing you need, from antenna mount to cable to antenna. I think it might even include the mic mount.

vGGxhdo.jpg

KM4iHcy.jpg

KtZkW4E.jpg

Last edited:

aug0211

Here ya go. It is a Uniden, and it works VERY well. You can change the color on it, too, which is nice. I used a Cooltech antenna mount, and it gets a good ground and nice range. The Uniden comes with a mic extension, so I mounted the box under the passenger seat and have PLENTY of mic length. The flat spot on the dash is where Mark Allen intended a CB mic mount to be. Works great!

The Cobra 75 is heavier, and some say it causes the trim to pull back if you mount the mic there. The Uniden hand set is very light. Cooltech makes a mic mount that attaches to the bolt behind the trim, raising it a bit and giving it a rock solid mount, so you have that option as well. It also elevates it a few inches which might help you to hear it better. The antenna kit comes with the cable and a Firestick, too. Cooltech also offers a complete kit for about 210 bucks that includes a Cobra 75 and every single thing you need, from antenna mount to cable to antenna. I think it might even include the mic mount.

vGGxhdo.jpg

KM4iHcy.jpg

KtZkW4E.jpg

Looks awesome! Can you post a photo of the handset mount (basically, remove the handset and snap a pic of how it is mounting there)?

I have not installed a CB before. Where does the end of the handset wire go to? And how/where do you run the end of the antenna wire?

Thanks in advance!

Looks awesome! Can you post a photo of the handset mount (basically, remove the handset and snap a pic of how it is mounting there)?

I have not installed a CB before. Where does the end of the handset wire go to? And how/where do you run the end of the antenna wire?

Thanks in advance!

Sure! It is just a plastic piece that came with the radio, and I used double-sided tape. It may not stay, but so far, it is solid. Cooltech.com has a much more secure and sturdy mount that gets into the bolt behind the dash trim. This mic is lighter than a Cobra 75wxst, so I think it actually might stay. This one looks like it is screwed in there, but it is not. The screws just hold the two plastic pieces together. Here is the pic...
dbcygBs.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve yet to see any antenna mounts for the JL. Are there any out there??

If you get the Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit, it comes with a mount.

I think there's at least one other company that makes a mount that attaches to the hinge but... it looks kinda gay to me.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, I didn't see your other questions...The handset wire goes under the carpet by the front left passenger seat rail. It then comes out under the seat and goes into the control box. The control box has a bracket on which I put some velcro, which sticks it to the carpet, but keeps the box elevated slightly. The antenna cable runs from the mount through the tailgate, behind the trim, tucked away all the way to the front, where it comes out under the passenger seat. It is a nice, tidy installation.

JeepFan

If you get the Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit, it comes with a mount.

I think there's at least one other company that makes a mount that attaches to the hinge but... it looks kinda gay to me.
This ^^^^

Here's a pic of my antenna mounted on the mopar reinforcement...

Whichever mount you choose, the JL tailgate has virtually no ground to the body or frame. You will need a ground strap. Here's what I did...

Also, if you get the mopar tailgate reinforcement, you will need an extented stud bolt to fit the thicker mounting tab. I was only able to find one on walcottradio. 20180421_112009.jpg20180421_112015.jpg20180421_112025.jpg

JeepFan

Actually I got that ground strap back when I was an oldsmobile mechanic a long long time ago. You can find them on Amazon however. Search for braided ground strap.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Actually I got that ground strap back when I was an oldsmobile mechanic a long long time ago. You can find them on Amazon however. Search for braided ground strap.

Cool. Definitely need to get me one. I figured the magnesium and aluminum tailgate wouldn't do much for being a good ground. Heck, even the steel tailgate on the JK didn't do much :crazyeyes: