JL JOURNAL : TUFFY JL Wrangler Security Deck Enclosure Installation

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As anyone who knows Cindy and I well, you know that the we love to run our Jeeps doorless and topless and for the times when we have to run a top, we prefer a soft top. Unfortunately, even with a soft top on, there's little to nothing that would prevent a would be thief from taking whatever he wants from the inside our Jeep and it's for this reason that we've always installed a Tuffy Security Deck Enclosure or at least, in all our JK's. Of course, even with a hard top on, having a deck like this provides the added benefit of making it easier to pack, stack and organize all our gear. Needless to say, adding a Tuffy Deck on our brand new, Jeep JL Wrangler was high on our to do list and in this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see just how easy it is to install.

BUY a TUFFY Deck here:
https://amzn.to/2R32kbX

TUFF Security Deck Enclosure Highlights
• Made out of welded, 16-gauge steel and is covered with a durable textured powder coat finish.
• Offers over 20,000 cubic inches of secure storage when the JL tailgate is closed and locked.
• Does not rely on the wheel well to create an enclosed space adding an additional level of security.
• The deck and rear panel can be opened up and propped up with ease and without the use of tools.
• The rear panel can also be removed with ease and without the use of tools.

NOTE: Tuffy makes 2 different Security Deck Enclosures for the JL Wrangler, a standard one and one for a JL equipped with the Alpine subwoofer. It is important for you to order the correct one for your JL.

Additional Options You Might Want
Diamond Plate Vinyl Mat https://amzn.to/2R7F3FS
Tie Down Rails https://amzn.to/2Razl6t

RMC2

Wow, that is pretty easy to install- with the right bolts. Looks like it was warm when you installed it.

Haven’t seen Moby in a bit. Nice sound

Awesome video, that looks like a pretty simple and useful install.

Do you think there is enough room left over for an air compressor mounted on the left using a mount like the one from M.O.R.E.?

If not, are you planning on running an air compressor and where are you planning on mounting it?

Edit: How does it effect the sound from the subwoofer?

Last edited:

Busatodd

Do you think there is enough room left over for an air compressor mounted on the left using a mount like the one from M.O.R.E.?

If not, are you planning on running an air compressor and where are you planning on mounting it?

I was wondering the same thing, also how bad does the box rattle

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice install. Seems like a well designed product.

Thanks. There was a time when Tuffy had changed the way they made these on the JK and to the point where I no longer liked them. The JL deck is a lot like what they used to offer way back in the day and it's a much better design.

Cool video. Thanks for putting it together.

Glad we could help with it :)

Wow. Thanks for the vid. Is the inside height really only 16”?

You know, I don't think I ever measured but that sounds like it could be right. Gotta sit below the lip of the tailgate for it to work.

Does the ARB fit on the top?

The smaller one, I would say yes. The standard 50 qt one, I don't think so or at least, not lengthwise and under the roll bar. Either way, it'd be hard to open up with a top on (experience with my JK) and I wouldn't recommend it.

Wow, that is pretty easy to install- with the right bolts. Looks like it was warm when you installed it.

Haven’t seen Moby in a bit. Nice sound

LOL - we filmed the install back before we headed out to SEMA. You can still see some fall colors on the trees. :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I like these a lot just super tough in a two door. Thanks for sharing the new design and install.

Yeah, these are really best for a 4-door.

So far as I can tell, it doesn't effect the sound of the subwoofer. As far as compressors go, I've just been using a cheap Smittybilt one on our JL. Been meaning to get something better but haven't found a need to replace what I have yet.

I was wondering the same thing, also how bad does the box rattle

The box doesn't rattle at all. At least, mine doesn't or as of yet.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

VitaMeVas

I would love this, but my wife and I put down the rear seats, load our gear around the periphery and blow up an air mattress inside of it all. So one person drives while the other sleeps.

DEFCON1

VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - TUFFY JL Wrangler Security Deck Enclosure Installation

Great write up y’all! Would be cool if it had a fold open location on top for easy beer fridge access. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited: