Trans Issue? Clunking Sound (4H engaged)

daperp

Preface -- 2018 JL 4Dr Manual Transmission

Was down last week in OBX (North Carolina), on the 4x4 beach... put the vehicle into 4H moving below 20mph with no issues, got to my location without issue.

Following days, any turning while in 4H, I got a clunking sound like the 4 wheel drive is not engaged, yet it states it is on the display and confirmed placement on shifter.

Additionally, I was unable to get from 4H to 4L at all... weird, tried while moving and/or stopped.

Anyone else having these issues or similar?

TYIA for your time and cooperation.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to make sure, you were on dirt when driving in 4WD, correct? You weren't trying to do any of this driving and turning on concrete, right?

I was on sand on the beach. The roads on this area are all sand, no concrete.

Weird. Getting into 4Lo is way harder now because of the FAD though. I practiced a few times before I got it right. But the clunking/bind is odd. Are you in a rubicon with lockers that were locked? Tires aired down? Maybe there wasn’t enough slip in the sand to prevent binding? Also we’re you in auto maybe the gear was to low to torque the tires?

Either way, how’s it now?

daperp

Weird. Getting into 4Lo is way harder now because of the FAD though. I practiced a few times before I got it right. But the clunking/bind is odd. Are you in a rubicon with lockers that were locked? Tires aired down? Maybe there wasn’t enough slip in the sand to prevent binding? Also we’re you in auto maybe the gear was to low to torque the tires?

Either way, how’s it now?

It is a Sahara, tires were aired down to 20.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it'd be hard for me to believe being that your Jeep is so new but a typical cause of a clunking or clicking sound when turning in 4WD is a front axle shaft u-joint that's missing a bearing cap.