Transmission DOA

Seansun01

Sadly, my brand new JL (took delivery last Friday) is in the shop with a substantial transmission leak. It failed inspection yesterday because of the leak - I had it towed to the dealer. The tow driver had a hard time getting it into reverse, but we got it there. Turns out there's a leak from the transmission pan. The undercarriage was soaked with transmission fluid. Not something I'd expect of a Jeep with 285 miles on it (it had 150 when I took delivery). Any advice on how to deal with this? She's pretty, but she's broken...IMG_2348.jpg

JTCO

Meme King
Welcome. That's why you have the warranty. Yes it does suck, but those things happen. Did they say that the pan itself was leaking or the gasket?

Seansun01

Welcome. That's why you have the warranty. Yes it does suck, but those things happen. Did they say that the pan itself was leaking or the gasket?

They're taking it apart today so see what's going on, but it appears to be the gasket. I'd agree regarding the warranty if I had put some miles on it, but the transmission was clearly defective when it was delivered. The thought of drivetrain issues before I even get to drive it is haunting. I have no way of knowing how much internal damage has been done, but it got bad enough that it wasn't going into reverse.

JTCO

Meme King
They're taking it apart today so see what's going on, but it appears to be the gasket. I'd agree regarding the warranty if I had put some miles on it, but the transmission was clearly defective when it was delivered. The thought of drivetrain issues before I even get to drive it is haunting. I have no way of knowing how much internal damage has been done, but it got bad enough that it wasn't going into reverse.

Automatic transmissions are hydraulic, so it's possible it stopped moving once the fluid got low enough. Hopefully they'll get it taken care of for you and quickly. Make sure after they repair it that they really test drive it extensively to ensure that there is no internal damage. But hopefully they'll just fix the leak, fill it up, and all will be good again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well that's a bummer. If you need additional assistance, the member JeepCares here on the forum should be able to help you out. Please contact them via PM if needed.

Seansun01

Transmission pan gasket failed. They're fixing it, but I'm never going to trust that there wasn't damage to the transmission. When the tow truck driver fought to get it into reverse, it made one of those god awful sounds that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Service department tells me there's a "safety mode" that keeps the vehicle from going into gear if the fluid get too low. Do any of you know anything about this?

JTCO

Meme King
Transmission pan gasket failed. They're fixing it, but I'm never going to trust that there wasn't damage to the transmission. When the tow truck driver fought to get it into reverse, it made one of those god awful sounds that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Service department tells me there's a "safety mode" that keeps the vehicle from going into gear if the fluid get too low. Do any of you know anything about this?

I haven't heard of that myself, but the JL is a brand new model. Either way, keep your receipt and hopefully you'll be all good. Did they say anymore about the gasket? Really rare on any vehicle that a pan gasket would fail in a manner to lose that much fluid that quickly.

Seansun01

I haven't heard of that myself, but the JL is a brand new model. Either way, keep your receipt and hopefully you'll be all good. Did they say anymore about the gasket? Really rare on any vehicle that a pan gasket would fail in a manner to lose that much fluid that quickly.

No further info on the gasket, other than telling me that it "failed." It was a pretty substantial leak. I'm attaching a pic of a puddle that accumulated over about 2.5 hours, as well as a shot of the undercarriage, which was literally soaked with fluid.

Jeep fluid puddle.jpg

jeep gasket fail.jpg

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
No further info on the gasket, other than telling me that it "failed." It was a pretty substantial leak. I'm attaching a pic of a puddle that accumulated over about 2.5 hours, as well as a shot of the undercarriage, which was literally soaked with fluid.

View attachment 956

View attachment 955

I’d say, if there is any damage to the transmission, you’ll find out before the warranty runs out. I’d drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

Sounds about right. JKs will be finicky if they are low on fluid as well.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

GrayBeard

I'll bet as a safe guard, when the tranny lost fluid and most likely pressure, the tranny is disabled and therefore shifting is disabled, to prevent damage.

Fingers crossed, you'll be good to go after new gasket installed.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Sorry you’re going through this, but honestly automatic trannys are designed to be driven in terrible shitty conditions. And this transmission is the centerpiece of the entire modern Ram and Jeep line. Breathe through it and you’ll probably be totally fine.

Shadow's_Jepp

On the JL Wrangler there's a panel on the lower part on dash by the transmission lever that pops out. There's a cable that you have to pull to disconnect something that allows the JL to be towed by a tow truck.
There's a video on line that shows how to use it.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app