Adding a RAM mount to a JL Wrangler Dash

JAGS

That’s sweet. But $87 plus tax and shipping?? Ouch. I do like the 3m idea and will probably use some 3m double sided mounting tape I have to help secure my RAM base....along with maybe a drop of blue locktite.

Needless to say, if I can get my base to secure, much cheaper than anything else I’ve seen and mine can be installed on either side.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s sweet. But $87 plus tax and shipping?? Ouch. I do like the 3m idea and will probably use some 3m double sided mounting tape I have to help secure my RAM base....along with maybe a drop of blue locktite.

Needless to say, if I can get my base to secure, much cheaper than anything else I’ve seen and mine can be installed on either side.

Yeah, $87 is a bit much just for a mount. If I did this, I think I'd follow your lead. :crazyeyes:

JAGS

I think a mount bar across that section would be easy to do as well, I have the iPad setup and think it’s too much weight for the single screw but a bar across the two..I’m gonna look into that

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Yup. I would agree. [emoji106] That weight would be too much.

My solution won’t work for every need, but opens the door for others to experiment. And for hell of a lot cheaper, clearly, than anything being manufactured.

JAGS

I would be looking at something like this personally. I like all of the possible mounting points.

https://vectoroffroad.com/collections/jl-wrangler-products/products/jl-wrangler-e-dock-2018

No offense but you’ve got to be fucking kidding me! Besides the design being butt ass ugly, the damn thing is $200 without any mounts.

No thanks!

I’ll wait for a sport cage that actually serves a purpose before I’d waste a dime on that. In fact, I would run that if they paid me.

Nickagomez81

No offense but you’ve got to be fucking kidding me! Besides the design being butt ass ugly, the damn thing is $200 without any mounts.

No thanks!

I’ll wait for a sport cage that actually serves a purpose before I’d waste a dime on that. In fact, I would run that if they paid me.

Lol, so tell us how you really feel. It was just an option. I don’t personally like stuff mounted to my dash, but i know a lot of the over-landing guys swear by this in the jk’s. And yes it is ugly, but i think the function is there as far as mounting iPads and phones and such.

JAGS

Lol, so tell us how you really feel. It was just an option. I don’t personally like stuff mounted to my dash, but i know a lot of the over-landing guys swear by this in the jk’s. And yes it is ugly, but i think the function is there as far as mounting iPads and phones and such.

I did. Lol. Guess I just don’t fit the “overlanding” mold then. If you need that much technology to go out in the wilderness, then maybe you are missing the point. Ha ha. I’m they will sell a few.

I just need something to hold the style CB I have. And maybe my cell. And to do so without spending too much.

Nickagomez81

I did. Lol. Guess I just don’t fit the “overlanding” mold then. If you need that much technology to go out in the wilderness, then maybe you are missing the point. Ha ha. I’m they will sell a few.

I just need something to hold the style CB I have. And maybe my cell. And to do so without spending too much.

Im 100% with you. I do I.T for a living, when i am out i want nothing but my phone as a camera and my little midland cb.

DudeBro

Just thought I'd share this as an option. I just did this mod for a cell phone mount and it worked great. It's super solid.

IMG_20180917_213742.jpgIMG_20180917_213838.jpg

The RAM ball I used in the grab bar is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J43I56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All I did was cut one of the bolts it came with down to about the same length as the one that was in the grab handle (with it inserted into the ball of course) and then opened up the hole in the handle a bit with a 1/4" drill.

The magnetic mount on the other end of the arm is another concoction. Used a 1/4 20 ram ball and a scoche magnetic mount for air vents I had laying around. Didn't feel like dishing out the cash for an x grip and prefer the magnet mount.

Ohiorick

Did you put a nut on the back side of the grab handle? Did you remove the handle to do this ? If so, How does one remove it? I have a JL on order and this is very much like the set up I have on my 2016 JKUR. Holds my iPad mini just fine. Trying to figure out how to do this on the new JLU.

Just thought I'd share this as an option. I just did this mod for a cell phone mount and it worked great. It's super solid.

The RAM ball I used in the grab bar is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J43I56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All I did was cut one of the bolts it came with down to about the same length as the one that was in the grab handle (with it inserted into the ball of course) and then opened up the hole in the handle a bit with a 1/4" drill.

The magnetic mount on the other end of the arm is another concoction. Used a 1/4 20 ram ball and a scoche magnetic mount for air vents I had laying around. Didn't feel like dishing out the cash for an x grip and prefer the magnet mount.