JL JOURNAL : Which Would You Want - JL Wrangler Axle Tubes vs Dynatrac ProRock 44

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Let's face it, when it comes to the strength of an axle housing, size matters! There really are no two ways about it and it is the reason why Dana finally decided to up-size the tube diameter on the front axles they make for the all new Jeep JL Wrangler. However, how much of an improvement did they actually make? Was it really enough to make a difference especially with them being wider and how does it stack up against a Dynatrac ProRock 44? In this episode of JL JOURNAL, you'll get a close up look at axle tube sizes and their wall thickness and you can decide for yourself - which would you want?

This is the first in a series of JL JOURNAL's that we've made to help educate people about JL Wrangler axles and why you might want to consider a Dynatrac ProRock 44. We hope that you'll find them to be informative. Please check back soon for our next installment.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

:cool:

Jeeeep

cross section makes me wonder WTH! I should be running a much smaller tire on the stock axle!! :cheesy:

Cool to see the change from JK to JL :thumb:

Does Dynatrac have axle shafts yet or are they still using RCV?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s cool too see. I love seeing all this aftermarket stuff, essentially as it is discovered.

It really is a fun time right now. We too love seeing all this stuff as it gets figured out :)

cross section makes me wonder WTH! I should be running a much smaller tire on the stock axle!! :cheesy:

Cool to see the change from JK to JL :thumb:

Does Dynatrac have axle shafts yet or are they still using RCV?

LOL!!

So far as I know, Dynatrac only has the RCV's as an option. Or at least, at this time.

JTCO

Meme King
Proof is in the pudding. Dynatrac has always showed tangible evidence for the superior specs compared to any other competitors. I love my current prorock. There isn't better out there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Proof is in the pudding. Dynatrac has always showed tangible evidence for the superior specs compared to any other competitors. I love my current prorock. There isn't better out there.

It really does help to see the difference. For more than 10 years, we've been running ProRock axles and they've always proven themselves to be the best. :yup:

Wow. Can't believe the Rubi is the same as the Sahara and Sport.

Technically, the Sahara and Sport have an stronger axle housing than the Rubicon being that they're made with the exact same tube but are narrower. Their axle housing will have less leverage on them.

Rgk401

It really does help to see the difference. For more than 10 years, we've been running ProRock axles and they've always proven themselves to be the best. :yup:

Technically, the Sahara and Sport have an stronger axle housing than the Rubicon being that they're made with the exact same tube but are narrower. Their axle housing will have less leverage on them.

Wow I’m completely shocked. I’ll save the $5000 for the rubicon axles and save up a little more and just get a pr44 front and rear.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Damn you Eddie lol . Seeing you guys bomb around on the factory axle and 37s gave me the confidence that I'd be a-ok with that setup for casual wheeling, now Im having second thoughts lol. I guess my solution would be to just wheel until/if it breaks. :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow I’m completely shocked. I’ll save the $5000 for the rubicon axles and save up a little more and just get a pr44 front and rear.

Actually, the rear axle may not even need to be changed especially with just 37's :crazyeyes:

I'm thinking someone's JLUR is getting a new axle in the near future, LOL With that said I'm still impressed with the factory 44. But if/when mine ever bites the dust I know what Im buying.

LOL!! Truth be told, we already have it. More videos leading up to it are coming your way :)

Wow, two videos in two days. You’re spoiling us Eddie, but I’m not complaining. I love all the info you’re dropping on us.

Well, here's to spoiling everyone! We actually have a few more videos in the cue and ready to go :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn you Eddie lol . Seeing you guys bomb around on the factory axle and 37s gave me the confidence that I'd be a-ok with that setup for casual wheeling, now Im having second thoughts lol. I guess my solution would be to just wheel until/if it breaks. :D

:cheesy: Honestly, there's nothing wrong to wheel what you have until it needs to be replaced. That's what we did on Moby and Rubicat. This time around, we are being a little preemptive but only because we'd like to kick things up a notch. :crazyeyes:

RMC2

I saw the photos before, but videos are always better.

Anyone want to by a rubicon axle so I can upgrade to PR44. Jealous Eddie.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I saw the photos before, but videos are always better.

Anyone want to by a rubicon axle so I can upgrade to PR44. Jealous Eddie.

:cheesy: Funny but I totally agree, seeing it on video seems more impressive. :crazyeyes:

SSTuner

Great video and informative. Was there any chat off camera about the FAD "Front Axle Disconnect" and possible weakness point?

Last edited:

HarleyPap57

Seeing the front axles have little difference between the Sahara and Rubicon I bet the rear axles are close also and those 37" and 40" tires are hard on the rear as well as the front. Really need Dynatrac and Dana to come out with Ultimate 44 or Pro Rock 44 rear axle. Not everyone wants a Pro Rock or Ultimate 60 rear with it's 6 or 8 lug hubs.

JTCO

Meme King
Seeing the front axles have little difference between the Sahara and Rubicon I bet the rear axles are close also and those 37" and 40" tires are hard on the rear as well as the front. Really need Dynatrac and Dana to come out with Ultimate 44 or Pro Rock 44 rear axle. Not everyone wants a Pro Rock or Ultimate 60 rear with it's 6 or 8 lug hubs.

The issue with that is that even on the JK rear 44 housing, the housing itself never really had much of a negative issue. The axle flanges can bend on any semi-float rear even chromoly shafts. So I assume from a manufacturing point of view, there really isn't much demand for a rear 44 housing.
Along with that, I would think most Jeepers that are running 40s are really going to see the benefit in stepping up to 1 ton axles as that is the ideal way to do it.