Best aftermarket exhaust?

BillArnett

I guess it was the redneck in me, but I simply unbolted the muffler and took it off. I kept hitting it on the trail and removing it was free. Yes, it's loud, but I don't think it sounds too horrible...but then again I've always liked my vehicles loud :cheesy:

No doubt it sounds good but in many places that's not legal. I compromised and went with the aFe Rock Basher which is pretty loud but exits ahead of the axle so it won't be beat up as much as an axle back.

MongeDM

I just installed the Magnaflow Off Road and it seems to do well. I do not see it hanging low as some have stated. It all depends on ensuring pipe placement and torquing the band clamps which appear to keep it high and tight. Image1525649858.415519.jpgImage1525649906.709994.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I just installed the Magnaflow Off Road and it seems to do well. I do not see it hanging low as some have stated. It all depends on ensuring pipe placement and torquing the band clamps which appear to keep it high and tight. View attachment 2312View attachment 2313

I would love it if you could post a video of the before and after. There's not a lot of them right now....and if you couldx try to describe how it changed the sound, both in volume and quality, since most mics moderate recorded sound anyway

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Has anyone even considered a Magnaflow axel back exhaust? I was about to pull the trigger but now am hesitating. Their sound clip sounds good, but like someone said it's all subjective. Does the fitment of these exhausts have an issue if the tow package is installed? Thenks

I've got it and I have the tow package. It sounds GREAT! Not too loud, but not as quiet as stock, either. It has just a really nice sound when you want it, but when cruising it is well behaved without annoyingly droning. It does rob some departure angle, but it is stll good. It doesn't bother the hitch, at all.

I did keep my stock exhaust. I will probably put it back on for my October trip to Moab, just to keep from smashing the tips. Then again, maybe I won't. It just sounds darned good!

RdLJ2ND.jpg
rt5fe9E.jpg

aug0211

I've got it and I have the tow package. It sounds GREAT! Not too loud, but not as quiet as stock, either. It has just a really nice sound when you want it, but when cruising it is well behaved without annoyingly droning. It does rob some departure angle, but it is stll good. It doesn't bother the hitch, at all.

I did keep my stock exhaust. I will probably put it back on for my October trip to Moab, just to keep from smashing the tips. Then again, maybe I won't. It just sounds darned good!

RdLJ2ND.jpg
rt5fe9E.jpg

Have any audio clips you could share?

OconRecon

Has anyone even considered a Magnaflow axel back exhaust? I was about to pull the trigger but now am hesitating. Their sound clip sounds good, but like someone said it's all subjective. Does the fitment of these exhausts have an issue if the tow package is installed? Thenks

Have the tow package and it installed without a problem. Look is fantastic. Sound is a touch louder than I expected, but then again, I did it more for the duel exhaust look, and not as much for an improved/lower exhaust note. I would have been happy with only a tiny uptick in sound.

Idling is a purr. Super nice. Can't see anyone having a problem with that.
Highway is a touch louder, minimal to no droning.
Most of the umph comes from lower speed accelerations, which of course is the norm with these type of applications.

Happy thus far.

HiCenterd

After driving around town with the muffler removed for a month, I finally got around to putting a muffler back on. With no muffler, the 3.6 sounds slightly less annoying than a Honda with a wet fart exhaust, in my opinion. I can only imagine that the muffler delete pipes could only sound the same. I went to my local exhaust shop, told them I wanted high and tight, and this is what they gave me. It's a Magnaflow 4x9 oval muffler that fits perfectly in place of the resonator. At no point does it hang down below the frame or body. It isn't any louder than the stock exhaust with the exception of 2-3k rpm's when you're getting on it.

Exhaust1.jpg

Exhaust2.jpg

Exhaust3.jpg

Exhaust4.jpg

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
After driving around town with the muffler removed for a month, I finally got around to putting a muffler back on. With no muffler, the 3.6 sounds slightly less annoying than a Honda with a wet fart exhaust, in my opinion. I can only imagine that the muffler delete pipes could only sound the same. I went to my local exhaust shop, told them I wanted high and tight, and this is what they gave me. It's a Magnaflow 4x9 oval muffler that fits perfectly in place of the resonator. At no point does it hang down below the frame or body. It isn't any louder than the stock exhaust with the exception of 2-3k rpm's when you're getting on it.

View attachment 8940

View attachment 8941

View attachment 8942

View attachment 8943

2-3k is getting on it? I run at 3k on the highway. Lol 5500+ would be getting on it.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Deezus

All I want is a replacement muffler that's low profile, no drone and a little rumbly in low gear. I called Dy omax and was told they didn't have anything... Which sucks because on my JK I had a quiet crawler that was perfect.
This time I only want to do muffler only, one tip high and tight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

LVZen

MF Rock Crawler/Hooker Blackheart

I combined the MagnaFlow Rock Crawler cat-back with the Hooker Blackheart high clearance axle-back. I tried the MagnaFlow alone first, but it was too loud and whiny for my taste and definitely droned on the highway. So I yanked the MF turndown pipe and added the Hooker axle-back, which fit perfectly to the MF pieces. The combination gives a nice low exhaust note, but it's way more subtle than the MF Rock Crawler alone and the Hooker tucks up nicely behind the rear bumper. That's what I was after.

I suspect you could do the same with any of the muffler elimination exhaust kits, not just the MF. You might see if you could do it for cheaper by buying the individual components. I had read that the Hooker alone didn't really alter the sound much, but if you don't care about the sound and just want more clearance, try the Hooker and skip the cat-back.

Deezus

I combined the MagnaFlow Rock Crawler cat-back with the Hooker Blackheart high clearance axle-back. I tried the MagnaFlow alone first, but it was too loud and whiny for my taste and definitely droned on the highway. So I yanked the MF turndown pipe and added the Hooker axle-back, which fit perfectly to the MF pieces. The combination gives a nice low exhaust note, but it's way more subtle than the MF Rock Crawler alone and the Hooker tucks up nicely behind the rear bumper. That's what I was after.

I suspect you could do the same with any of the muffler elimination exhaust kits, not just the MF. You might see if you could do it for cheaper by buying the individual components. I had read that the Hooker alone didn't really alter the sound much, but if you don't care about the sound and just want more clearance, try the Hooker and skip the cat-back.
Yea that's the kit I was looking at, I just wish Dynomax had a kit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OconRecon

Was about to start a thread entitled "What's the quietest dual exhaust solution?", but may try this first. I did the Magnflow about 6 months ago and I just can't get used to the noise, but LOVE the look of dual pipes. Trying to have my cake and eat it too.

Thanks for posting.

CalSgt

Was about to start a thread entitled "What's the quietest dual exhaust solution?", but may try this first. I did the Magnflow about 6 months ago and I just can't get used to the noise, but LOVE the look of dual pipes. Trying to have my cake and eat it too.

Thanks for posting.

I added a Flowmaster resonator to my cat back system & it made a huge difference in quitting down the drone of the aftermarket exhaust. There are lots of cheaper resonators out there but I trust flowmaster because I've always had good luck with their stuff...

https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.php?3357-MBRP-Cat-Back&p=44344#post44344