New EVO MFG JL HD Hinged Tire Carrier

JLSahara

Is there any foam or felt tape material behind the EVO kit? I feel like the metal would be in direct contact with the tailgate and scratch it. Something I was thinking about it last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piginajeep

Is there any foam or felt tape material behind the EVO kit? I feel like the metal would be in direct contact with the tailgate and scratch it. Something I was thinking about it last night.

It doesn’t move. Do you really want to trap moisture with foam tape or felt ?

2012 JK8
1958 FC170 (Jeep Forward Control)

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

Even if it did scratch under the carrier the carrier would be on and covering it so who cares? If your carrier is moving so is your tire.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Even if you do get some minor scratches behind it that you cannot see the tailgate skin is aluminum so won't rust :). If u are really concerned put a couple very thin strips of RTV on the plate. That's what I did with my rocker guards. Just make sure you don't seal bottom so that any water that gets in can drain out.

Sent via....

Deezus

Should have my tire carrier tomorrow. Ordered it on Monday.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Deezus

Installed my carrier this weekend. Install was straight forward.
Evo's instructions, in the past, left a lot to be desired. I can happily report, that's not the case here. I instructions were complete and accurate and easy to read which was nice!20181110_150951.jpeg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Installed my carrier this weekend. Install was straight forward.
Evo's instructions, in the past, left a lot to be desired. I can happily report, that's not the case here. I instructions were complete and accurate and easy to read which was nice!

:cheesy: I too was surprised to see just how good the instructions were on this :yup:

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Eddie, will we be getting another install vid for this as well?

I’m sure he and Cindy will. Sema and JLX has kept them super busy the last few weeks so I’m sure they are continuing to burn the midnight oil to get content out to us the best they can.

anotheraznguy

Finally received mine as well. Haven't had a chance to install this yet. Curious for those that are running cb's in the evo mount. Did you guys sand down the powdercoating? Thanks

CalSgt

Just got my shipping notice!... At least I think so, can't think of anything else that would ship from Fullerton.

CalSgt

Prep and paint today, was super worried about the temperature being too cold but I think it turned out ok.

60 grit flap disk for the flats & bead blasted the welds and in the holes. Also removed a bunch of the welds from outside corners.
IMG_2615.jpg

Had some white single stage paint leftover from one of my dads cars, & some old epoxy surfacer for sticking to the bare steel. So no out of pocket expense.
IMG_2616.jpg
IMG_2617.jpg

CalSgt

The color didn't match perfectly but for free materials I'm not complaining, going to have to wait to finish the paint was still pretty soft while mounting the big piece. I'll wait for it to cure for a week or so before I mount the tire.
IMG_2623.jpg

Last edited: