EVO JL Coilover Discussion Thread

I'm confused. They are stronger than stock but not too strong.
Which would you rather have stock plastic fender coming off(easy to put back on) or body pushed in?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Very true! Didn’t really think about it like that, thanks for the insight[emoji1605]

Deezus

Very true! Didn’t really think about it like that, thanks for the insight[emoji1605]
No problem.
This is why I cut my fenders on this Jeep and my JK before it.
Also, aftermarket fenders have a limited selection.
I'm gonna do a rig walk around video soon.

Deezus

You can see in this pic that I have lots of room for uptravel. IMG_20190923_174816.jpg

RLW007

E Brake Cable

I will installing EVO Coilovers this week. I have a concern on the re-routing of the E brake cable in the rear.
How do you disconnect it at the axel/ brake drum to re-route? I admit I have not crawled underneath the Jeep JL to look. Do I need a special brake tool? If so what?
Just trying to get my ducks in a row before I start
Thanks
Randy

JTCO

Meme King
I will installing EVO Coilovers this week. I have a concern on the re-routing of the E brake cable in the rear.
How do you disconnect it at the axel/ brake drum to re-route? I admit I have not crawled underneath the Jeep JL to look. Do I need a special brake tool? If so what?
Thanks
Randy

Snap a picture and post it.

CalSgt

Thanks
Randy

Pretty sure unhooking and rerouting the e-brake cables is the least technical part of the job... Synergy lists the install of their reroute cable bracket as a 15 minute job, here is their explanation:

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 6.25.28 PM.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks
Randy

Watch this video at about 19 min in.

RLW007

Clunking noise with EVO coilovers

I had the EVO coilovers installed on my 2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon. I love the look and ride, but the sliders do not slide smoothly on the shock body. They seem to catch and clunk suddenly. Not a smooth slide up and down with spring compression. The secondary coil nut is set about 1/2” from the slider as instructed. Any thoughts? Will this get better with wear?. I only have about 75 miles on them. No off road yet. Most of the noise seems to be with the right rear. It is heard when i corner quickly or hit a small bump, ie upon spring compression.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I had the EVO coilovers installed on my 2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon. I love the look and ride, but the sliders do not slide smoothly on the shock body. They seem to catch and clunk suddenly. Not a smooth slide up and down with spring compression. The secondary coil nut is set about 1/2” from the slider as instructed. Any thoughts? Will this get better with wear?. I only have about 75 miles on them. No off road yet. Most of the noise seems to be with the right rear. It is heard when i corner quickly or hit a small bump, ie upon spring compression.

Drive them. Hard and fast. Offroad. They will break in.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

Deezus

You will never ever get rid of coilover noise overall it's part of the system. That being said once you get them set up they will break in, and you won't even notice it anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

RLW007

Coilovers

You will never ever get rid of coilover noise overall it's part of the system. That being said once you get them set up they will break in, and you won't even notice it anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information guys. They are less noisy now after 100 miles. I just need to need to be patient and drive it awhile. Cant wait to get it off road. It seems to flex well.
DE7ABF60-9E0A-42E6-8345-44328E7D7B38.jpg

tonygiotta

Something to check. Not sure if I'm some sort of anomaly, but...

I installed the Genesis dual battery kit in my JLUR this past weekend. Fist off, I'll say the coilovers make it a pain in the ass as the brackets prevent the battery tray from sliding out the way the install video shows. The housing for the small Stop/Start battery nests right up next to the bracket, eliminating the wiggle room needed to get the tray out. It may be possible to drop the small battery out the bottom of the fender first, but I decided to just cut the tray in half instead. Anyways, the real reason for the post:

After removing the battery tray, I discovered that the head of the front passenger coilover has been rubbing against the bottom of the sheet metal support for the battery tray:

IMG_0246.jpg

I decided that rather than let it keep rubbing and possibly cause popping noises while articulating, I'd notch it out to give it some room to move. That's when I discovered just how much it had been rubbing!

IMG_0248.jpg

I emailed these pictures to Andrew over at EVO a week ago, but haven't received a response. I'm assuming I don't need to be concerned about the damage as there's a lot of meat on these shock heads, but I'd still be curious to know if this issue has been addressed seeing as I have one of the earlier production kits. Probably worth checking yours, I had no idea this was going on. It wasn't making any unusual noise (aside from the typical coilover type noises) so I'm guessing its just been slowly wearing down over the past year.

JTCO

Meme King
Something to check. Not sure if I'm some sort of anomaly, but...

I installed the Genesis dual battery kit in my JLUR this past weekend. Fist off, I'll say the coilovers make it a pain in the ass as the brackets prevent the battery tray from sliding out the way the install video shows. The housing for the small Stop/Start battery nests right up next to the bracket, eliminating the wiggle room needed to get the tray out. It may be possible to drop the small battery out the bottom of the fender first, but I decided to just cut the tray in half instead. Anyways, the real reason for the post:

After removing the battery tray, I discovered that the head of the front passenger coilover has been rubbing against the bottom of the sheet metal support for the battery tray:

I decided that rather than let it keep rubbing and possibly cause popping noises while articulating, I'd notch it out to give it some room to move. That's when I discovered just how much it had been rubbing!

I emailed these pictures to Andrew over at EVO a week ago, but haven't received a response. I'm assuming I don't need to be concerned about the damage as there's a lot of meat on these shock heads, but I'd still be curious to know if this issue has been addressed seeing as I have one of the earlier production kits. Probably worth checking yours, I had no idea this was going on. It wasn't making any unusual noise (aside from the typical coilover type noises) so I'm guessing its just been slowly wearing down over the past year.

I'm assuming the battery tray is connected to the body? I'm just trying to think how something like this would happen.... I'm guessing if it is and it's close to that coilover, as the body flexes it could touch over time and wear like you're showing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm assuming the battery tray is connected to the body? I'm just trying to think how something like this would happen.... I'm guessing if it is and it's close to that coilover, as the body flexes it could touch over time and wear like you're showing.

Has to be connected to the body and thanks to the isolators for body mounts, there would be significant movement and more than enough to cause contact like this. Being that the battery tray was installed as an aftermarket upgrade, I can't see how this would be EVO's fault.