JL JOURNAL : Axle Differential Fluid Change - How to do it Yourself

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In spite of the fact that Cindy and I work from home and have half a dozen Jeeps that we can and do use as a daily driver, we’ve still managed to rack up 15,000 miles on our brand new Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. And for us, that means it’s time to do some maintenance. Among other things, the differentials are something I typically service at this time but it’s also a good idea to do if you’ve been spending any time in some deep water. Fortunately, changing out the fluid is super easy to do on a JL Wrangler and it can be done in minutes using a 3/8” drive ratchet.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
• 3/8" Drive Ratchet
• Oil Catch Pan
• Chemical Resistant Yellow Teflon Tape or Paste

FLUIDS YOU WILL NEED
BUY Royal Purple Gear Oil Here: https://amzn.to/2srkjLx

186 FBI (Model 30) - Front Axle
MOPAR Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 80W-90) (API GL-5)
1.82 Pints/0.86 Liters

210 FBI (Model 44) - Front Axle
MOPAR Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 80W-90) (API GL-5)
2.18 Pints/1.03 Liters

200 RBI (Model 44) - Rear Axle
MOPAR Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 80W-90) (API GL-5) or equivalent.
For trailer towing, use MOPAR Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 75W-140).
Models equipped with Trac-Lok require an additive.
2.43 Pints/1.15 Liters

220 RBI (Model 44) Rear Axle – EDL
3.06 Pints/1.45 Liters

220 RBI (Model 44) Rear Axle – T/L
3.02 Pints/1.43 Liters

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice video. Hard to believe you've got 15k on it already.

He’s got over 20k. Lol

LOL - What Adam said. We filmed this back in October and have well over 20k now. :crazyeyes:

Great video as always... I've got to ask, does Royal Purple still have the gear oil stink?

All gear oil has that lovely smell but it is a bit less with Royal Purple or at least in my opinion.

Nice to see you finally returning to work. Lol. Excellent addition to the JL Journal.

By work, if you mean still out on the trail, yes, we're still wheeling. We just found a hotel that has internet so that we could get this uploaded and posted today :crazyeyes:

JIMBOX

:D Yeah, great video---

I've already changed my JLR Diff's/w to VALVOLINE 75W-140, mainly because I have a couple cases left from my '08 JKUR and--

I was told that the JL RUBY'S already come with synthetic in the Diff's--OK I still wanted to change, because I put on the new MOTOBLT DIFF COVERS--

Your right EASY/PEASY job and another neat attribute about the JL R--is the Diff. cover gaskets are "REUSEABLE COMPRESSABLE" METALIC MATERIAL--

Super cool !

Good day

:thumb: JIMBO

RMC2

Another great Jeep how to with good tips from Wayalife. Like the correct teflon tape and don’t crank on the drain/fill plugs.

CanadaJeep

Caught the Bug
another great how to video, kinda funny how we still get that grin on our faces when you here that "fart" sound. lol

LauraRose

Buy Royal Purple through JLWRANGLER.COM??

Eddie, I see that Amazon sells the Royal Purple that you used in the video. Can we buy it on Amazon through JLWRANGLER.COM to support the forum?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, I see that Amazon sells the Royal Purple that you used in the video. Can we buy it on Amazon through JLWRANGLER.COM to support the forum?

Hey Laura, I really do appreciate your desire to help support the forum. Here is a link that will take you to Royal Purple products on Amazon and purchases made through it will help support us :)

https://amzn.to/2srkjLx

I should note that if you click on any Amazon link that we have here and if you buy something there, even if it isn't what you originally clicked on, we should get a small kick back. :cool:

LauraRose

Hey Laura, I really do appreciate your desire to help support the forum. Here is a link that will take you to Royal Purple products on Amazon and purchases made through it will help support us :)

I should note that if you click on any Amazon link that we have here and if you buy something there, even if it isn't what you originally clicked on, we should get a small kick back. :cool:

That's good to know!! :thumb:

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

I wish I could order fluids on amazon. Stupid California.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app