JK to JL wheels

Steeldragon1

Morning members, Just picked up my new JL sport s and wanted to buy a cheap set of OEM JK wheels to have as a spare, the ones I was looking at are the 5 spoke aluminum silver. Will they fit? and is there a year designation I should stay away from ex. 2007to2010?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The JK wheels were designed to be used with 13mm studs. The JL uses 14mm studs. Unless you drill out the holes, they won't work.

YAHAHA

1mm doesn't seem like that big of a difference. I have a spare set of JK wheels lying around. When I do my tire rotation, I'll check out the fit.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

13_gecko_rubi

I've seen several JLs with JK wheels on them. All the newer wheels (2013+) seem to work just fine. The older designs seem to fit axles but there is a lip on the center bore towards outside that prevents the camera from fitting through on the spare. In either case you will have to use splined lugs as the 14mm lugs on the JL wont fit in the holes designed for the 1/2" JK lugs.

Sent via....

YAHAHA

I've seen several JLs with JK wheels on them. All the newer wheels (2013+) seem to work just fine. The older designs seem to fit axles but there is a lip on the center bore towards outside that prevents the camera from fitting through on the spare. In either case you will have to use splined lugs as the 14mm lugs on the JL wont fit in the holes designed for the 1/2" JK lugs.

By splined lugs, do you mean the lug nuts that are tightened using splines instead of the standard 6-sided nut faces? Lug nuts like these?
JL lugs.jpg

Is there a difference in the cone angle between the JKs and the JLs?

YAHAHA

Just had the JK wheels installed. Wheels fit fine with one small exception... The inner wheel is too close to the calipers to put weights on the inside. They had to install the weights clipped to the outer rim.

For these wheels, the JL lug nuts worked fine. No need to install splined lug nuts.

I love these classic old wheels!
IMG_20180810_185840353_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my XT1575 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

YAHAHA

Another thing you will need to do is to Sam's down the plastic housing around the backup camera. The opening through the wheel is smaller on the JK wheels. Not a big deal that some sand paper and elbow grease can't fix.

IMG_20180810_210724836.jpeg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just had the JK wheels installed. Wheels fit fine with one small exception... The inner wheel is too close to the calipers to put weights on the inside. They had to install the weights clipped to the outer rim.

For these wheels, the JL lug nuts worked fine. No need to install splined lug nuts.

I love these classic old wheels!

Glad you were able to get it to work but after seeing it, I can't say that I'm a fan. As it is, I find it hard to tell a JL from a JK and now your's really looks like a JK. But, to each their own. Congrats to you.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Has anyone tried swapping over their atx beadlocks off their JK to the JL? Thinking of more seriously going and looking at a JL again this week. Would like to keep my chamber pros and 37” coopers if I could since they don’t have many miles on them

YAHAHA

Measure the through diameter at the center of the wheel. That is the only real issue I encountered when I put the JK wheels on our JL. The hole size on the JK is smaller than the hole size on the JL. The stock JK wheel didn't for over the camera mount on the spare tire carrier. I spent a couple hours filing and sanding it down until the stock JK wheel fit..

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Measure the through diameter at the center of the wheel. That is the only real issue I encountered when I put the JK wheels on our JL. The hole size on the JK is smaller than the hole size on the JL. The stock JK wheel didn't for over the camera mount on the spare tire carrier. I spent a couple hours filing and sanding it down until the stock JK wheel fit..

The atx chamber pro beadlock wheel has a slightly bigger center bore than the jk wheel if my memory serves me right. If that’s the case I should be fine then I guess.

ddays v2

The atx chamber pro beadlock wheel has a slightly bigger center bore than the jk wheel if my memory serves me right. If that’s the case I should be fine then I guess.

It is definitely larger than a stock wheel hub opening. The factory wheels (on the JK's) are hub-centric and the CP's are not. I had my infamous wheel spacers made so that they matched the hub on the CP's & made them hub-centric, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was.:thinking:

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It is definitely larger than a stock wheel hub opening. The factory wheels (on the JK's) are hub-centric and the CP's are not. I had my infamous wheel spacers made so that they matched the hub on the CP's & made them hub-centric, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was.:thinking:

Oh yes cause then you bent a flange that wheeling trip [emoji23]

JTCO

Meme King
Has anyone tried swapping over their atx beadlocks off their JK to the JL? Thinking of more seriously going and looking at a JL again this week. Would like to keep my chamber pros and 37” coopers if I could since they don’t have many miles on them

Congrats on the new Jeep! ;)