JL JOURNAL : Stepping into Bigger Shoes / KMC XD231 Beadlock Install

RustyE

Thanks Rachel, we really like them a lot :)

A question about the TPMS sensors. Did you get Mopar replacements or order aftermarket from somewhere like Amazon? I’m about to pull the trigger on new wheels and tires for my JLUR, and wondered about the sensors. I’m looking to sell my factory wheels and tires as is, without pulling the sensors and installing on the new wheels. If you ordered aftermarket, what is the “re-marrying” sensors to Jeep process like? Or does it make more sense to reuse the factory units?

Rusty

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A question about the TPMS sensors. Did you get Mopar replacements or order aftermarket from somewhere like Amazon? I’m about to pull the trigger on new wheels and tires for my JLUR, and wondered about the sensors. I’m looking to sell my factory wheels and tires as is, without pulling the sensors and installing on the new wheels. If you ordered aftermarket, what is the “re-marrying” sensors to Jeep process like? Or does it make more sense to reuse the factory units?

Rusty

I just got aftermarket ones like these: https://amzn.to/2LLA1tn

You just install them and go. :yup:

DavidDJL69

Just saw the video and am truly impressed. Thanks for posting it for the rest of us. One question: did you get the tires/wheels balanced or did you use balancing beads? Didn’t know if the beads that some use would work with the TPMS sensors. Thanks,

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just saw the video and am truly impressed. Thanks for posting it for the rest of us. One question: did you get the tires/wheels balanced or did you use balancing beads? Didn’t know if the beads that some use would work with the TPMS sensors. Thanks,

1st, beads are snake oil and I wouldn't waste your time with them. 2nd, not all tires require balancing and so far, these tires are pretty round and I haven't found a need for it. 3rd. IF balancing is needed, I would have a shop use tape weights.

diaxio

sorry to bring up an old thread but i just replaced my wheels on my rubicon and bought aftermarket tpms sensors drove around till they started to read the pressures. problem im having is the warning light blinks for about a minute then stays on indicating a problem. but the evic is showing the correct tire pressures and the pressures change while driving like it should just the light wont go out.. did you have any issues with the warning light i have made sure the pressures where above the 36psi

NFRs2000NYC

1st, beads are snake oil and I wouldn't waste your time with them. 2nd, not all tires require balancing and so far, these tires are pretty round and I haven't found a need for it. 3rd. IF balancing is needed, I would have a shop use tape weights.

Wait wait, so when you mounted your STT pros on your beadlocks, you didnt balance them and have no issues driving on road at 75mph? I was going to ask you about that, but you opened the door so now is as good a time as any. :D

BigCountry1983

Didn’t have to balance any of my 5, same setup and just got back from 3300 mile road trip with off roading. They are still smooth rolling at 75mph.

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
sorry to bring up an old thread but i just replaced my wheels on my rubicon and bought aftermarket tpms sensors drove around till they started to read the pressures. problem im having is the warning light blinks for about a minute then stays on indicating a problem. but the evic is showing the correct tire pressures and the pressures change while driving like it should just the light wont go out.. did you have any issues with the warning light i have made sure the pressures where above the 36psi

I have a Tazer and set my psi threshold at the lowest setting it allows which is about 25 psi. I run my tires at about 28-30 psi and have no issues with the warning light. With what you're seeing, are the psi numbers in red or in white? Could be you're just too close to the lowest setting from factory.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wait wait, so when you mounted your STT pros on your beadlocks, you didnt balance them and have no issues driving on road at 75mph? I was going to ask you about that, but you opened the door so now is as good a time as any. :D

Nope. I only balance my wheels IF it's necessary. Fortunately, this particular set of Cooper STT Pros are pretty damn round and I have ZERO issues with them even at 95 mph. Granted, this isn't always the case and if needed, I have been able to get my local Costco to balance my wheels in the past.

diaxio

I have a Tazer and set my psi threshold at the lowest setting it allows which is about 25 psi. I run my tires at about 28-30 psi and have no issues with the warning light. With what you're seeing, are the psi numbers in red or in white? Could be you're just too close to the lowest setting from factory.

the evic shows the tires all in white. i have the tazer as well and set it to 25psi and run about 27, i have even unmarried the tazer and set the tires to 40 psi and the evic shows white but the light still blinks then goes solid. only thing i havent done is messed with the spare tire psi but i dont think the computer reads that tire. im thinking the computer just doesnt like the sensors even tho they are mopar atleast the seller has the same part numbers as mopar ones. i might just put my stock tires on and see it that corrects it. and get different sensors if the stock tires and sensors work. just dont know why the evic works but the light is on.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
the evic shows the tires all in white. i have the tazer as well and set it to 25psi and run about 27, i have even unmarried the tazer and set the tires to 40 psi and the evic shows white but the light still blinks then goes solid. only thing i havent done is messed with the spare tire psi but i dont think the computer reads that tire. im thinking the computer just doesnt like the sensors even tho they are mopar atleast the seller has the same part numbers as mopar ones. i might just put my stock tires on and see it that corrects it. and get different sensors if the stock tires and sensors work. just dont know why the evic works but the light is on.

Hmmm, what version of the Tazer are you running right now?