TPMS reinstallation

Richamby

Just about everybody that has their stock wheels for sale has removed the TPMS sensors for their new wheels.
My question is, can replacement TPMS sensors be installed without a trip to the tire store?

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Just about everybody that has their stock wheels for sale has removed the TPMS sensors for their new wheels.
My question is, can replacement TPMS sensors be installed without a trip to the tire store?

You need to break the wheels down in order to install them. So unless you have a tire shop in your garage, you will probably be going to someone to have it done.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

What's comical is people pay someone to break down tires to remove the sensors when u can buy new sensors for the same amount and way easier.

Sent via....

NFRs2000NYC

What's comical is people pay someone to break down tires to remove the sensors when u can buy new sensors for the same amount and way easier.

Sent via....

I never understood that. A new set is around what, $150? To break down a set of tires ( and then remount and rebalance them) is AT MINIMUM $20 a tire...so that's $100 at the minimum, plus your wheels/tires are worth less if you try and sell them. I never understood why people do this.

Richamby

And my second dilemma is they aren’t marked left or right side. I’ve always thought, once radial tires spin in one direction at speed, you don’t want them to spin in the opposite direction.

13_gecko_rubi

I never understood that. A new set is around what, $150? To break down a set of tires ( and then remount and rebalance them) is AT MINIMUM $20 a tire...so that's $100 at the minimum, plus your wheels/tires are worth less if you try and sell them. I never understood why people do this.
I've been paying between $50-$65 for all 5 the last 4 sets I bought. Last time I had a set of tires mounted was like $75. So ya no sense lol

Sent via....

13_gecko_rubi

And my second dilemma is they aren’t marked left or right side. I’ve always thought, once radial tires spin in one direction at speed, you don’t want them to spin in the opposite direction.
That's not true. If u do a proper rotation you should actually be swapping fronts to opposite side in rear and intentionally spinning them in other direction. Tires will naturally cup a tad and reversing direction counteracts that and knocks the cup back off to get good wear.

Sent via....

Richamby

Ok Discount Tires reinstalled the TPMS sensors I ordered from Eddies link, for $10 a wheel. They did a great job and the sensors worked great in 10 minutes. My question now is how low can the air pressure be before you get a low pressure warning?

Last edited:

Richamby

My TPMS reads 34 but I used a very accurate gauge and the real air pressure is 36.
I wanted the actual pressure to be 34 but then the TPMS would read 32.

WiscoHR

My TPMS reads 34 but I used a very accurate gauge and the real air pressure is 36.

Mine is off a little bit too but in the other direction. With my tires set at 26 with a gauge, my display will usually read in the 28-30 range. When aired down to 15 with a gauge, display will show 18-20. But just got used to knowing there is a variance of about 2-5 psi.

13_gecko_rubi

Mine is off a little bit too but in the other direction. With my tires set at 26 with a gauge, my display will usually read in the 28-30 range. When aired down to 15 with a gauge, display will show 18-20. But just got used to knowing there is a variance of about 2-5 psi.

The tpms sensors are more accurate than any gauge you are likely using. They are specd and tested within tenths of a psi. Unless you are using an expensive Nascar spec gauge, the gauge is what is off.

Sent via....

BillArnett

The tpms sensors are more accurate than any gauge you are likely using. They are specd and tested within tenths of a psi. Unless you are using an expensive Nascar spec gauge, the gauge is what is off.

Sent via....

I have two pretty good gauges both of which read about 1 psi higher than the TPMSs at 25 psi which is what I run on the highway. Plus or minus 1 psi at that level is pretty much irrelevant. But it would be a lot more significant at 10 psi. Are the TPMSs calibrated accurately at that level?