JL JOURNAL : Getting Your JL Wrangler to Work After an FAD Delete Using a Tazer

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Because the all new FAD or front axle disconnect on a Jeep JL Wrangler is directly tied to the transfer case, removing or deleting it can prove to be a problem, especially if you have a Rubicon. Without the FAD to to tell the transfer case what position it's in, your dash will display a warning light above the fuel gauge that states, "SERV 4WD". On a Rubicon, you will also get a locker warning light that that'll appear intermittently in the same location as well. On top of that, the transfer case indicator on your dash will be grayed out and it will no longer show what position it's in. Fortunately, the transfer case on a JL Wrangler is still mechanically operated but if the computer doesn't know what position it's in, you will not be able to use things like your sway bar disconnect or factory rear locker if you still have one. In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see these problems first hand and how we were able to zap the FAD using a Tazer JL, made by Z Automotive. We hope you enjoy.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

JTCO

Meme King
Wow. Cool that it can be fixed that easily with the Tazer.

Off topic, but with your new front ARB locker, I assume you'll no longer use the OEM switch and rather use an ARB rocker switch? Just like we've been doing for years?

NFRs2000NYC

Nice, it's nice to see a product with constant development to move with other products on the market, definitely something that's head and shoulders above other units similar to the tazer. Hopefully he can make another plug that can not only solve your problem, but even allow you to use either your OEM switch to control your air locker, but also an aftermarket e locker. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. Cool that it can be fixed that easily with the Tazer.

Off topic, but with your new front ARB locker, I assume you'll no longer use the OEM switch and rather use an ARB rocker switch? Just like we've been doing for years?

Actually, I have the ARB wired up to the factory aux switches. One for the compressor and one to activate the locker. :yup:

Nice, it's nice to see a product with constant development to move with other products on the market, definitely something that's head and shoulders above other units similar to the tazer. Hopefully he can make another plug that can not only solve your problem, but even allow you to use either your OEM switch to control your air locker, but also an aftermarket e locker. :thumb:

That might be a lot to ask being that the OE locker switch isn't just a standard on off switch. Not saying that it can't be done, it just may require someone else to do it. At this point and time, I'd just be happy to get the damn light off my EVIC.

Jeeeep

wow, the FAD seems to be a real PIA but good the aftermarket is trying to get it handled.

Why can't the existing locker switch be used on a new axle? is it only an issue with ARB or an issue with any aftermarket locker?

RMC2

It will be cool if Joe or someone can up up with a plug that will run an ARB locker selenoid and satisfy the computer and allow the use of factory switches. Plus get rid of the stupid “idiot” light.

Good to know info.....if I ever get a prorock.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
wow, the FAD seems to be a real PIA but good the aftermarket is trying to get it handled.

Why can't the existing locker switch be used on a new axle? is it only an issue with ARB or an issue with any aftermarket locker?

The link WJCO posted ^^^^ explains things well.

Cool video. Hopefully Tazer can fix the light on the dash sooner rather than later.

And I see no snow so. Guess it’s time to head over the hill soon.

Still a ton of snow up the hill but things cleared out nicely down here :yup:

It will be cool if Joe or someone can up up with a plug that will run an ARB locker selenoid and satisfy the computer and allow the use of factory switches. Plus get rid of the stupid “idiot” light.

Good to know info.....if I ever get a prorock.

I have little doubt that a fix can be made to get the light off the EVIC but getting the locker to work off the factory switch may take a bit more effort.

Piginajeep

Good video. First time I watched anything in the tazer. Interested to see what changes the JT will bring

2019 MP
2012 JK8
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good video. First time I watched anything in the tazer. Interested to see what changes the JT will bring

2019 MP
2012 JK8
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

So far as I've seen and can tell, the JT should be pretty much the same in terms of how it works electronically. A Tazer or something like it would be nice to have for sure.

Piginajeep

So far as I've seen and can tell, the JT should be pretty much the same in terms of how it works electronically. A Tazer or something like it would be nice to have for sure.

I’m curious if we will be able to hack the forward trail camera

2019 MP
2012 JK8
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug

What would you like to do with it once you hack it? You can add a forward camera to the JL, using the Tazer to activate it... although it is labeled as a cargo camera rather than forward. For those interested, Tazer does offer a forward camera kit for JLs that attaches to the grill insert.

Screenshot_20190315-181742_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190315-181827_Chrome.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

What would you like to do with it once you hack it? You can add a forward camera to the JL, using the Tazer to activate it... although it is labeled as a cargo camera rather than forward. For those interested, Tazer does offer a forward camera kit for JLs that attaches to the grill insert.

Yup, what he said ^^^^^ :yup: